Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How did you settle on your username?

Started by Stigdu, June 30, 2022, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

There was a time when you could change your username? How did I miss this? Mine's alright but without knowing the context (which probably nobody would unless I've already told you) you would be forgiven for thinking it's dull af. I'd love to change it, but I guess it's stuck now. I'm be LO until I die.

Crenners

You can just sign up for a new account if you get bored of your username

SpiderChrist

Or you can own your username, and your responsibility for creating it, instead of simply discarding it on a capricious whim.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dineen on July 01, 2022, 01:30:13 PMCan we have this option back please? I didn't think of making up a name, 20 years ago, or whenever it was (& I'm sure it was the late '90s originally?). Making up a name sounds like a good idea.

Barry will probably change it for you if you ask. Maybe not if you've been an arsehole though.

The Culture Bunker

It was the song that was playing on my stereo when I registered (via the Teadrop Explodes 'Greatest Hit' compilation CD). A few minutes earlier, I might have just gone with 'Ha Ha I'm Drowning' instead.

Appropriating 'bummers are deaf' from TLoG for a group of people who actively go about making themselves (and me) deaf.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I was tempted to call myself Mr Anchovy. I'm sure quite a lot on here will know where that's from.

imitationleather

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 01, 2022, 05:24:32 PMI've never heard you do it.

My neighbours definitely have. These walls are so thin!

Poobum

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 12:56:48 PMMine is a bit rubbish because the S in stan shouldn't be capitalised as it was meant as a noun. Not sure why I picked it. Couldn't think of anything genuinely funny  so I thought stanning an obscure US president was random enough.

I thought it was a Seinfeld reference to the van Buren boys.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Glebe on July 01, 2022, 07:17:48 AMHaha! Yeah even here in little ol' Dublin I've spotted numerous Glebes! My big ambition now is to spot a 'Mollusk Avenue' or summit! Will keep you posted on my progress!

I used to live in a cul-de-sac called The Glebe.  Now I no longer live there, I feel I can say that.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 19, 2021, 04:05:47 PMIt was late June in the early-mid-90s.  Me and my then-partner had not long got back from our annual summer-solstice camping trip in Mrs Saunders' field underneath Glastonbury Tor.

I had been online using Fidonet BBS systems[1] for a couple of years by then[2], and had just decided to upgrade myself to being a "point" -- all arcane history now, but essentially being a dedicated spur off of a BBS rather than just a regular dial-in user to it.

The thing is, a point always had a name, for example something like "Joe Bloggs' Shack @ Big House BBS".

My mind drifted back to our happy camping vibes just a few days before, remembering waking up with the sound of sheep gently baa-ing in the surrounding fields.  I promptly put in a very short sentence expressing this feeling as the name of my point.

Fast-forward around 7 or 8 years to July 2001 when I decided to sign up to my very first internet forum: this one.  Back then my "very short sentence" was too long to fit into the username field (it would probably fit now), so I dropped a word or two, rearranged what was left, and lo!, Ambient Sheep was born, and I've used it pretty much everywhere ever since.  Even Twitter.

The avatar came later (we didn't get to choose our own back in those days), but fits the vibe absolutely perfectly.  Fields full of ambient sheep...

1. A sort of early amateur version of the internet, very popular in its day amongst people with modems.

2, Mainly participating in their early equivalent of forums, known as "echos", a bit like Usenet groups.  I was a regular in COMMON_ROOM and others, in the unlikely event that anybody else here remembers all of that.

The Lurker

To put it simply, I lurked for a long time before eventually signing up. I like to call a spade a spade, me.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 01, 2022, 04:07:58 AMPerfect description of mine, real colon hunt energy to it

Honestly, it's not as bad as you think. It's never stood out to me as annoying. It's only since you pointed it out.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 01, 2022, 03:13:35 PMThere was a time when you could change your username?

Something like 1.5 forum software makeovers ago the ability to change your account name was enabled (by default, I reckon) was talked about in one of those forum upgrade threads. Barry turned it off after a few hours/days

Changed his name to Barry and pulled up the drawbridge behind him.
Typical.
Feel like pure shit, just wanna be called Berenice DollySocks :(

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 01, 2022, 03:13:35 PMThere was a time when you could change your username?

Yep, now you have to make a new account and mill around in Oscillations or Picture Box for a bit until your sock can start getting to work.

Stigdu

Be funny if Keala Settle was a member here, and she said she settled on her username Settle as her name is Settle. Maybe.

Can I be "witchypoos"?
Wanna be witchypoos.

Glebe

Jockice - Never actually read The Broons!

Gregory - I am indeed a Great Crested Glebe!

Mister Six

Mister Six is my favourite character in the comic book The Invisibles. I mostly picked it because I couldn't think of a good one, though. I used to have another name on here back in 2002 or so, but I forget what it was.

Zero Gravitas

https://theculture.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_spacecraft

Should have gone for Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The though.

Used to just be Baxter not really sure why I dropped that one.

Johnny Yesno