Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:02:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Clerks 3 is here I guess

Started by BJBMK2, July 06, 2022, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: sutin on July 07, 2022, 01:24:16 PMHe just can't give it up, like a drug addict having 'one more hit' again, and again.

I have a feeling Kevin has decided that with Clerks and maybe Dogma and Red State that he has made his contribution to the motion picture arts and earned the right to churn out pap for money from now on. A bit like Robert DeNiro making Rocky & Bullwinkle and Dirty Grandpa.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is an NFT different to DRM?

It seems bizarre that Smith created two of the most popular potheads in cinema (and played one of them) but didn't get into weed until after they stopped making regular appearances in his films.

I've only seen Clerks 2 the once, back in 2007. I remember thinking it was better than it had any business being, but it was an odd follow up to the original. It's way more of a filmy film compared to the (possibly accidental) hip indie verité style of the first one - case in point being the ridiculous donkey show bit. On the other hand, the "You're my best friend" bit was sincerely affecting.

Goldentony

an NFT is cypto scam bullshit where you pay for a digital copy of whatevers labelled an NFT. It's your unique copy and nobody else can access it, except in the case of this where it would be similar to paying to buy a custom watermarked advance copy for Academy nominaton season., or reversing a video at the video mans shop for eternity. Usually it's a fucking one off digital image. It's for cunts. It's for blokes who've smoked too much weed and have no sense of the distance between their eyes and whats in front of them. It's absolutely no shock that this useless tit is into them to fund a film no sane person wants to endure when it's probably the only way this could get made now.

DRM is just the equivalent of when you couldnt make a copy of Alien on video or make a pirate of KONAMI DEVESTATORS

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 07, 2022, 04:55:12 PMIs an NFT different to DRM?

I was about to say. In this instance, it sounds like the kind of set-up you'd get with any DRM download (which is linked to the purchaser's account), only you're paying for the privilege. Either that or they're creating individual unique exports that they'll send to each purchaser. Honestly, a version of the film with a small image of Kevin Smith giving a thumbs up and a speech bubble thanking the purchaser by name popping up every now and then would be more unique and valuable, and certainly no less stupid.

Goldentony

thats a fucking awful idea, you're going to will this into existence like that

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just because you're self aware enough to realise that your films are crap and nepotistic, and reference that in your work, doesn't make it OK.

I've never listened to his podcasts, but in real life is he like he is towards the end of Reboot? He's very... American isn't he? The sort of chap who thinks using the word "fuck" as punctuation in a very loud voice shows humbleness and integrity.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 07, 2022, 09:36:34 PMI've never listened to his podcasts, but in real life is he like he is towards the end of Reboot? He's very... American isn't he?

He's always in character in the podcasts, like he doesn't think the audience is paying to see him sulk so he'll ham it up a bit, which isn't for everyone. I've never been an avid follower of his side projects and podcasts and such but in my opinion he's definitely got more annoying over time. You'd have to ask loved ones if he's really like that all the time.

Essentially he's a pretty shrewd businessman and will pivot towards where the money and audience is.

sutin

He's considerably more annoying now than he used to be. He's a man in his 50s who pulls that stupid face in every photo and constantly talks about weed.

AsparagusTrevor

It annoys me that he lost a shit-tonne of weight but still wears the same size clothes. It reminds me of this:

Shaky

I've never really wanted a bar of his podcasts or amped-up character bits and pieces, but he comes across well as a guest in the Films To Be Buried With podcast. He's more relaxed, seems sober, and clearly warms to the premise. Genuinely funny, humble and self-deprecating too. So I chose to think he's basically a decent guy.

If he fucks up Clerks 3 the cunt's dead to me, though.

Noodle Lizard

I don't think there's much to suggest he's an especially bad guy (tedious, maybe). He always seems very friendly and pleasant and there are no horrible stories from the countless fans he must meet all the time as far as I know. It's more a case of frustration and disappointment for me rather than thinking he's an actual arse.

13 schoolyards

Was Clerks 2 his film where there was some kind of crowdfunding element to it and everyone who donated got their name in the credits? I remember seeing one of his films in the cinema and at one stage the credits just became this wall of names, I left and went to the bathroom, then as I was leaving I checked back in and the wall was still slowly scrolling down.

I assume that was for the cinema release only as I'm pretty sure the (Australian) blu-ray I watched of it years later didn't have it. Or I have no idea what I'm talking about, they're both equally plausible.

Shaky

He briefly mentioned crowdfunding around the time of Red State, I think, ago but I believe he didn't go through with it. Also vaguely recall something about fans contributing footage or photos to a project... so could be that?

madhair60

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on July 08, 2022, 06:27:21 AMWas Clerks 2 his film where there was some kind of crowdfunding element to it and everyone who donated got their name in the credits? I remember seeing one of his films in the cinema and at one stage the credits just became this wall of names, I left and went to the bathroom, then as I was leaving I checked back in and the wall was still slowly scrolling down.

I assume that was for the cinema release only as I'm pretty sure the (Australian) blu-ray I watched of it years later didn't have it. Or I have no idea what I'm talking about, they're both equally plausible.

No, it was that he credited everyone who followed the film on MySpace. No money involved (except maybe from MySpace)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2022, 11:21:04 AMNo, it was that he credited everyone who followed the film on MySpace. No money involved (except maybe from MySpace)
Only the first 10000 fans to friend it on MySpace though! (Not sure if he got 10000 friends but sounds likely.) EDIT: This page says they got the 10000 names in 2 hours.

Sebastian Cobb

There's an article on IndieWire saying he never really understood why Clerks was lauded.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/kevin-smith-clerks-surprise-fandom-the-office-1234739973/

Always a bit weird when directors don't get their own stuff, but it probably makes sense in his case given some of the later stuff he's churned out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Never trust a man in his 50's who dresses like an American teenager circa 1998. He's like that slightly sinister man in his 30's dressed head to toe in expensive skatewear (but no skateboard) who hangs around skateparks.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2022, 11:21:04 AMNo, it was that he credited everyone who followed the film on MySpace. No money involved (except maybe from MySpace)

Mystery solved! And yeah, it definitely felt like 10,000 names were slowly scrolling by. Not much fun when you're standing around the lobby checking back in every few minutes just in case there's an end credits scene

sutin

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 08, 2022, 06:25:45 AMI don't think there's much to suggest he's an especially bad guy (tedious, maybe). He always seems very friendly and pleasant and there are no horrible stories from the countless fans he must meet all the time as far as I know. It's more a case of frustration and disappointment for me rather than thinking he's an actual arse.

Yeah exactly, no one here has said he's a dick. He actually seems pretty nice. You can be annoying and nice.

Egyptian Feast

I gave the trailer a chance when it showed up on my YouTube recommendations and I have to say that despite all the negativity in this thread, this movie looks much, much worse than you'd all led me to believe. Quite an achievement.

sutin

It seems that NFT movie is out on NFT today. I guess it'll turn up on torrent sites soon.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shaky on July 08, 2022, 09:14:01 AMHe briefly mentioned crowdfunding around the time of Red State, I think, ago but I believe he didn't go through with it.

As I recall, yes he wanted to do it for Red State, but it wasn't as common/accepted at the time, so it got interpreted as Smith begging for money. So he abandoned that idea pretty sharpish.

dgh

The issue I have with Clerks 3, is that the central conceit was already done in Zack & Miri. He's self plagiarising at this point, and to diminishing returns.

SteveDave

Small Man Big Horse

Apparently so, though my local cinema has chosen to ignore it despite half the films they are screening having been around for a couple of months (or over 40 years, in the case of Jaws and E.T.).

Noodle Lizard

How long until he compares it to a disabled child being bullied again

SteveDave

It's online from Friday according to the internet.

Spiteface