Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:14:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tellies 2023

Started by katzenjammer, September 17, 2023, 10:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

Sorely tempted to pull the trigger on an LG55 G3, bundled with the G1 soundbar for £1,700.

The G1 seems to be older tech, so i can see why they're trying to shift them. Does anyone have any experience of hooking up truly wireless surrounds to it, is that even a thing?

katzenjammer

Quote from: katzenjammer on September 18, 2023, 09:13:24 AMI'm in Spain, this is the one I was looking at, not for any particular reason apart from it came up on a google search here

https://www.pccomponentes.com/lg-oled55c24la-55-oled-ultrahd-4k-hdr10-pro

I got this in the end and it's great. Lovely picture, handles SD well, OS is fast and smooth. No complaints so far.  Also got a samsung hw-q700b sound bar which is good. Using enhanced voice mode, or whatever they call it, I can hear the dialogue well. Only slightly annoying thing is that if I use it as a bluetooth speaker the enhanced voice setting is still enabled which makes music sound crap, shame you can't have presets for different sources or something.

Glebe

Cannae afford nowt at the mo but the Panasonic TX-50MX650B has grabbed my eye as a decent cheap option. 50" on Amazon for £430 (about 500 euro) with free delivery but even if I had the money spare I'm kinda boycotting Amazon now.

Norton Canes

Hmm. Came on here hoping to find some recommendations for a 42" telly around £300- £400, now worried I need to pay at least double that for an 'OLED'.

El Unicornio, mang

Hisense does really good 43" 4k LED smart TVs for about £250.

Robot DeNiro

I may be replacing my TV soon. The most important thing to me is that it has a good Plex app. Does anyone else use Plex who can recommend which TV manufacturers to look at?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on October 26, 2023, 02:31:54 PMI may be replacing my TV soon. The most important thing to me is that it has a good Plex app. Does anyone else use Plex who can recommend which TV manufacturers to look at?

The smart TVs have Plex but there are some issues reported with it (particularly Hisense models), apparently the best option is to buy the best TV you can afford + an Nvidia Shield, which is a lot better for apps than the built in TV ones.

Robot DeNiro

Thanks very much. Looks a bit pricey for just getting nicer versions of apps though. I've got an old Samsung at the moment which has a perfectly functional Plex app, hopefully I can find a TV with something similar. But it's good to know about the Nvidia Shield if that doesn't work out.

katzenjammer

the LG C2 I bought has plex, i've been using it with no problems. It plays everything I've thrown at it so far even 4K x265

Glebe

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 26, 2023, 02:09:51 PMHisense does really good 43" 4k LED smart TVs for about £250.

They're owned by the Chinese government though.🙁

Sebastian Cobb

On the #plexchat a Roku would make a great client, it's much slicker and less bloated than android BUT there's a bug in its 10-bit HEVC decoding that makes everything ridiculously oversaturated.

I think the plex client doesn't help. I see it a lot less now I've moved to Jellyfin (for other reasons) when it direct streams but I can also x265 and let jellyfin transcode on the fly to work around it (gpu transcoding for free was the reason I switched).

Norton Canes

Does anyone know if the BFI player works on LG televisions? Or if not, what's the simplest way to get it beamed or whatever to a TV

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 28, 2023, 05:18:06 PMDoes anyone know if the BFI player works on LG televisions? Or if not, what's the simplest way to get it beamed or whatever to a TV

it doesn't, it only has an app on Samsung TVs and I think support ended in 2022; there's an app on iOS and Android which you can cast to a chromecast or a firestick or whatever; I'm planning to get a USB-C to HDMI adapter so I can just stream off my phone or a tablet, because my PC is going to be in another room.

Tried screen mirroring but there was too much artefacting even on low quality streaming.

I think you might be able to access it through another app as a channel, Amazon Prime maybe?

Cuntbeaks

Will i be able play 4k rips, 39gb or so, directly from a hard drive plugged into a LG G3?

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 29, 2023, 04:42:05 PMI think you might be able to access it through another app as a channel, Amazon Prime maybe?

That's how I do it, fwiw

touchingcloth

I've just bought a 43" LG NANO LED thing for €300. The OLED screens in the shop looked amazing, but a bit shiny and reflective so I thought I'd just start cheap, see if it worked in my room, and take things from there by returning things for ever more expensive models until I hit the sweet spot, but this seems more than fine for my needs, especially after I worked out how to disable the Garbage Mode or whatever motion smoothing nonsense they apply by default.

A part of me would love to be the sort of person who could make use of a darkened room and a fuck off huge OLED screen but, if I'm honestly with myself, I'm not.

touchingcloth

Does anyone else have an LG tv? If so, has anyone tried to and successfully managed to delete Alexa from it? I neither use it nor plan to.

Related, does anyone know how to remap the app buttons on the stock "magic" remote to different apps? The remote has Disney and Alexa buttons which I will never use, so it would be good to map them to Plex and music instead.

Cuntbeaks

Can anyone recommend a decent image/photo viewer for an LG G3?

Their in-built Art Gallery app doesn't allow you to view your own images and Plex refuses to show any images at all, whilst video is just fine.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 02, 2024, 07:03:32 PMCan anyone recommend a decent image/photo viewer for an LG G3?

Their in-built Art Gallery app doesn't allow you to view your own images and Plex refuses to show any images at all, whilst video is just fine.

What's the point of that Art Gallery app? I've been used to an Apple TV which does nice video screensavers when it goes to sleep and I was expecting it to be the same on this telly, but it seems utterly unconfigurable in that area. Not that it's a bad thing as I don't need to waste the electric on that, but still.

Could you just mirror the screen of your phone/laptop, assuming you have one, and assuming that you want to show images as a one time thing rather than permanently as a screensaver?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 02, 2024, 07:44:06 PMCould you just mirror the screen of your phone/laptop, assuming you have one, and assuming that you want to show images as a one time thing rather than permanently as a screensaver?

I've got decades worth of pics on my laptop, so it would be good to access them directly. Genuinely didn't think something so simple would be such a ballache. Also, the laptop doesn't live beside the tv.