Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2024

Started by Tiggles, January 17, 2024, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggles

Thought I'd start this year's thread a few months earlier than last years, purely for novelty value.

Anyway, looks like Kitson's doing his Collaborator experience in Scarborough on 16 and 17 February. No email, but this popped up in my Instagram for anyone who wants to spend an hour as part of a group having a go at him:

https://sjt.uk.com/events/daniel-kitson

lauraxsynthesis

itf

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on January 17, 2024, 03:20:53 PMHe's compering near me in Greenwich on Feb 4th and I'm going to that. Never seen him compere before.

https://up-the-creek.com/events/sunday-special-ivo-graham-celya-ab-jin-hao-li-daniel-kitson-birthday-show-04-02-2024/

I've only seen him compere once and he was brilliant - although he did have a tendency to over-run a little, gleefully ignoring the little light telling him to stop. To the point that one of the other acts tied him to a chair before his final segment.

Tiggles

Looks like Kitson is also doing the Collaborator show in Feb at Duke's Theatre, Lancaster and The Cockpit in London.

Wonder if he'll take it to Melbourne?

Tiggles

Quote from: itf on January 17, 2024, 03:25:30 PMI've only seen him compere once and he was brilliant - although he did have a tendency to over-run a little, gleefully ignoring the little light telling him to stop. To the point that one of the other acts tied him to a chair before his final segment.

That was David O'Doherty a couple of years ago wasn't it?

Kitson is an awesome, playful compere - a man who has always been very comfortable mucking around on stage. @lauraxsynthesis I'm sure you'll have a great time with him.

itf

Quote from: Tiggles on January 17, 2024, 08:47:42 PMThat was David O'Doherty a couple of years ago wasn't it?

Kitson is an awesome, playful compere - a man who has always been very comfortable mucking around on stage. @lauraxsynthesis I'm sure you'll have a great time with him.

It was. I think that night ran about half an hour later than any of the other Laughterama shows.

itf

New dates

London – 5th to 9th February – The CockpitTheatre

Lancaster –  14th and 15th February - Dukes Playhouse

Scarborough – 16th and 17th  February – Stephen Joseph Theatre

Pimhole

People who have been to this show, is the audience participation voluntary? Or does he try to involve everyone?

Tiggles

You can opt out and he's explicitly supportive about people who want to do that right at the start.

dr beat

It's all very good natured,

Spoiler alert
the joke is very much on DK and his own ego, and with one exception people only have one or two lines and then they're done.
[close]

holyzombiejesus

Anyone booked for Scarborough?

Pimhole

Thanks Tiggles & dr beat. I loathe audpart, still wake up in a cold sweat after mumble mumble.

Tiggles

Quote from: Pimhole on January 19, 2024, 02:48:34 PMThanks Tiggles & dr beat. I loathe audpart, still wake up in a cold sweat after mumble mumble.

It's a lot of fun and you should defo go if you can, just don't take a script. He clearly says this won't be a problem (I've seen it 3 times now and quite a few people didn't take a script) and you can just sit back and enjoy it all unfold.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Tiggles on January 19, 2024, 03:26:36 PMIt's a lot of fun and you should defo go if you can, just don't take a script. He clearly says this won't be a problem (I've seen it 3 times now and quite a few people didn't take a script) and you can just sit back and enjoy it all unfold.

Would it be worth going to a PM and then a matinee the next day or would it be largely the same?

Tiggles

You'd get different lines! It's the same script but it all falls out in the delivery. It's also different emotionally the second time - you're less scared so you appreciate more what's going on. I definitely found it funnier after my first one, and less tense personally.

Tairy_Green

Quote from: Tiggles on January 17, 2024, 08:44:52 PMLooks like Kitson is also doing the Collaborator show in Feb at Duke's Theatre, Lancaster and The Cockpit in London.

Wonder if he'll take it to Melbourne?

Thanks for flagging this up in advance of the email - managed to book tickets in a relatively civilised and non-sackable manner.

Saw the first night at The Cockpit yesterday, really enjoyed it. Was a bit nervous about the line reading thing but it turns out everyone is sat there glued to their script rather than looking at you so you feel quite anonymous, plus each person only gets a couple of lines each and it flies by and is soon on to the next person, the lines are often very trivial so there's no pressure or importance on what you say really.

The actual show/script was very funny without giving too much away (also, he said it cost him £1,400 to print out all of the scripts...), definitely recommend it even if you're fearful of public speaking.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: thelittlemango on February 06, 2024, 09:16:25 AMSaw the first night at The Cockpit yesterday, really enjoyed it. Was a bit nervous about the line reading thing but it turns out everyone is sat there glued to their script rather than looking at you so you feel quite anonymous, plus each person only gets a couple of lines each and it flies by and is soon on to the next person, the lines are often very trivial so there's no pressure or importance on what you say really.

The actual show/script was very funny without giving too much away (also, he said it cost him £1,400 to print out all of the scripts...), definitely recommend it even if you're fearful of public speaking.

Roughly how long was it?

Anyone going to Scarborough this weekend?

Tiggles

I've just heard that Kitson's postponed this weekend's Scarborough shows until April after what sounds like quite a nasty injury. Presumably Lancaster will be postponed too. Hope he's back to his full profanity-bellowing strength soon.

From the SJT website:

QuoteThe performances of Collaborator due to happen on 16 & 17 February have been postponed to 19 & 20 April. Here's a message from Daniel Kitson:

"This is quite undignified, but I trod on the ball at football, went flying and did something to my rib/chest/side/back that makes it temporarily impossible to waddle about shouting at audiences. I'm very sorry for the faff, but it's currently quite painful to breathe deeply, let alone bellow profanities at the paying public for eighty minutes. I really hope you can come to the rearranged dates and you've been able to alter/cancel any travel/accommodation plans. Sorry again. Daniel"

holyzombiejesus

Fucks sake. Booked a non-refundable hotel room too. Do I still go, use my paid for room and pootle around like a sad sack or waste the £60 and just stay home?

Tiggles

Might be worth a call to the hotel if you're thinking of going in April? They'll probably say no, but possibly worth a try.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, maybe. Might still go!

Tiggles

Email! Went straight to junk, seems to have come from a new provider.

Anyway, Tree is up for digital rent/ purchase now but the more exciting bit for me is mention of a DVD later in the year with cast commentary and other stuff, which I already know I want. So there's that. Oh and a Q&A screening with Tim towards the end of March, which they might include on the DVD as well.

And apparently a tour of Collaborator will be announced next week, too. Kitson bestows us with gifts, indeed.

holyzombiejesus

Do we really need to just repost stuff that's sent to the DK mailing list?

cakeinmilk

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 01, 2024, 06:50:12 PMDo we really need to just repost stuff that's sent to the DK mailing list?

Probably handy if it went to junk and Tiggles wanted to alert others if the same fate had befell them.

Love a DVD commentary, and I'm curious about where the tour will be given he cited a lack of suitable venues.

Tiggles

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 01, 2024, 06:50:12 PMDo we really need to just repost stuff that's sent to the DK mailing list?

Not at all, but it was the first time something had been sent to junk for me so just wanted to flag that had happened. And if he's announcing show dates early next week, I did think people might want a heads up on that given that it can sometimes be difficult to get tickets.

frajer

Yeah this one went to my junk too.

Well up for that DVD with special features.

paddy72

I appreciate the heads up, as I didn't receive this email at all (even in junk), despite being on the mailing list.

My rubbish Hotmail account has a problem with delivering from some addresses, and it's getting worse. Time do ditch it, I think.

Gurke and Hare

I'l buy the DVD obviously but c'mon mate, do a blu-ray. Don't be so cussed.