Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais' "Finest Work"

Started by Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub, March 25, 2024, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Fuck me. I've never seen Derek, but now I feel compelled.

Someone here tell me the highlights and lowlights.

g0m

In S01E02, there's this incredible moment where - in the style of The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) and the music video for Take On Me (1985) - I jump through the tv screen and beat Derek's ass with my own two hands because of how much he sucks

idunnosomename

Derke is kind because the dialogue says he is 😪👏

Captain Z

This made me laugh and cry at the same time. And shit.

Shaxberd

Can't wait for Derek to be honoured in the pantheon of sitcom treasures with its own unofficial dining experience.

Come on in to our immaculately recreated nursing home for a slap-up feast. Guffaw as you're sexually harassed and patronised by our kooky staff-cum-waiters (cum reference intended!). Weep as Derek reminds you of the importance of kindness, after wrestling one of our guests into a headlock. And that's not all, as one lucky diner WILL go home with their very own robot grief dog.

madhair60

will say it again, the live watch threads of Derek were maybe the funniest this place has ever been, certainly the most manic/hysterical.

dead-ced-dead

We'll be talking about Derek long after many good comedies have come, had threads started here on C&B'd that get 2-3 pages per season, then go and are forgotten to time.

checkoutgirl

When Derek's dad says "Big Hairy ass" is the best bit. When Kev says "The hair, the glasses, the catchphrase, brilliant" and goes around with his trousers off and his veg out is the second best bit.

If I was pushed and had to pick an honourable mention it would be when Dougie wrote "Knob's Cheese" on the back of a rabbit before kicking out a health inspector for looking at a kettle.

Those are hard to pick though because there are so many great moments.

Fambo Number Mive

Is it more important to be kind than clever or good looking? Society seems to value good looking people much more than clever or kind people.

Writing on the back of a fucking rabbit? Are we meant to like these characters?

The Bumlord

Why is he so obsessed with crying in everything he does?

I mean, he's good at it, I just wonder what sort of terrible trauma he's dwelling on

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shaxberd on March 25, 2024, 10:44:41 AMCan't wait for Derek to be honoured in the pantheon of sitcom treasures with its own unofficial dining experience.

Laugh as we recreate behind the scenes hijinks as Derek gets Dougie in a headlock and farts on his head. Giggle as the stinky guff registers and Dougie quits on the spot saying "That's not even funny, that. Ye durty bastid".

BritishHobo

Fucking blows my mind to this day

He's not clever or good looking - I mean look at him, he's a thick ugly gormless cunt

He's not clever or good looking, no

But he's KIND

CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT? Could your mind even concieve of such a thing? A man who is not traditionally attractive. A man who is not a nuclear physicist. And yet he is still kind

To this day I can't quite believe it. I wake up sometimes and I think, no... no, remember when we used to go around thinking that anyone normal-looking, anyone who didn't do well in school - well they were worthless, obviously. You know, those weird people in towns sometimes who aren't Hollywood celebrities - very rare, but they're out there - they're hideous, garbarge people. Scum. Fuck-ugly scum. Contemptible gurning thick cunts who like The X Factor, like what thick pleb cunts like. They couldn't have value. And yet... they can be kind.

It's remarkable. It really is.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: The Bumlord on March 25, 2024, 02:36:30 PMWhy is he so obsessed with crying in everything he does?

I mean, he's good at it, I just wonder what sort of terrible trauma he's dwelling on

If I had to guess, it's because he knows he's good at it. He's not a bad performer (The Office by itself shows that), but he's quite a limited and shallow actor. Think above average am dram actor.

There are a lot of people in that range who think: being able to cry = good acting.

That's my guess.

dissolute ocelot

Never mind a dining experience, I want to put my parents in an official licenced Derke home for the elderlies.

Catalogue Trousers

We all loves puppies
We all loves puppies
We all loves puppies
Dogs an' that.

Ferris

Mind when he sat on a pie and that was the whole bit? Or when he fell in a pond?

Superb. And people say he's lost it.

PlanktonSideburns

Anyone got A link to the Derek watchalong thread

TommyTurnips

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2024, 11:53:32 AMwill say it again, the live watch threads of Derek were maybe the funniest this place has ever been, certainly the most manic/hysterical.

Of course, Derek will never be not funny, it's one of those timeless classics. Like Fawlty Towers or summut. But reading the watch along threads and reading the pure joy of the people actually commenting on the train wreck as it happened and the unspoilt "I can't believe this shit actually got made" energy was one of those special moments. I was there too, watching along, although not actually posting yet, still lurking away. This show is of course up there in the category of vanity project responses to a scandal that would not have been made were it not for the backing and unlimited resources of its millionaire creator.

PlanktonSideburns

^ that one's a rewatch (with most people saying "fuck this I'm out" after the first episode). Has anyone got the original watch along? I've never read it.

dead-ced-dead

Someone gave me the link a while ago, but I've lost it. I'd be curious to reread.

sevendaughters

And yet Derek is better than After Life

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 26, 2024, 08:08:54 AM^ that one's a rewatch (with most people saying "fuck this I'm out" after the first episode). Has anyone got the original watch along? I've never read it.
The series 2 thread is my fave of the Derek threads https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=41535.0 It's where CaB simultaneously met and christened Robot Grief Dog. Has mbedd's Derke action figures in there too.

The Xmas special thread is great also https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45030.0

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Cleveland Steamer on March 26, 2024, 08:20:44 AMI think it's this one

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=34436.0

Excellent thread title too. Looking at the date it was a year before I joined CaB so regret not reading along at the time as it's 93 pages + the other two @Jumblegraws has posted.

Still, that's what ringing into work sick is for.

BritishHobo

I don't know if I can overstate the impact this show had on me. When I see Brett Goldstein doing all his big successful American acting jobs now, there's still a part of me that thinks "oh look, there's Merchant Navy!"

dead-ced-dead

Reading through the Derek thread reminds me just how desperate Gervais is for praise and validation. Retweeting any and all Tweets etc. calling him a genius, and posing in front of his awards/mentioning how much money he's worth any time he's criticised. JK Rowling does the same thing, and it shows that money doesn't make you any less thin skinned.

It's why my heart is filled with happiness when a creator says either nothing after something goes out or just puts out a single, "Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Glad you're all enjoying it."

Or something equally generic.

Glebe