Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POLICE STATE BRITAIN THREAD

Started by idunnosomename, March 29, 2020, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

willpurry

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 29, 2020, 01:03:19 PM
Rozzers getting a hard-on about the lockdown and seem to have invented some arbitrary one-hour caveat to the exercise rule

oh great, it's like fascism except they talk to use like an Innocent Smoothie

and shit like closing off canal towpaths. fuck off copper. they're public walkways

https://twitter.com/PoliceMacc/status/1243913532061745152

anyway fuck the police.

Mr Pennington Flash.

Twit 2

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 30, 2020, 11:23:53 AM
Lol.  I don't think you do get it.

Just because you can't see a downside to what you're doing doesn't mean there isn't one.  Just posting what you did on a public forum encourages other to justify their own lockdown breaking.  Maybe your neighbours see you setting off and coming back and decide that if you're leaving they can too.  What happens if you step in a hole, twist your ankle and need emergency assistance?

What if, indeed.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on March 30, 2020, 11:24:57 AM
The amount of people I have interacted with since then is one.

I just thought it was a funny response, sorry.

katzenjammer

Quote from: imitationleather on March 30, 2020, 11:20:57 AM
Indeed. This attitude through-out the country that the rules do not apply to me specifically is going to fuck it up for absolutely everyone and mean we're all confined to our homes for months. Just change your lifestyle slightly.

That's the thing.  I live in Spain and am watching this play out exactly the same way in the UK as it has here.  Short of some scientific breakthrough, change of attitude or miracle that flattens the curve I'm afraid you will be in complete lockdown inside of two weeks.

imitationleather

Quote from: jobotic on March 30, 2020, 11:28:34 AM
I just thought it was a funny response, sorry.

Oh I thought it was funny too!

Sorry if I came across as pissed off.

Butchers Blind

Is there a worry that the longer this goes on the more fed-up people are going to get and more likely to flout the rules?

idunnosomename

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1244577874096635905?s=19

The summons for "shopping for non-essential items" is scary. Is balsamic vinegar essential?!?

I dont know why all these are north west btw

Barry Admin

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 30, 2020, 11:49:20 AM
Is there a worry that the longer this goes on the more fed-up people are going to get and more likely to flout the rules?

That was a reason they gave for not starting it immediately, as I recall. During that "many more old cunts gonna die" thing about herd immunity.

idunnosomename

ELLO ELLO ELLO WHATS THIS!?! A BATTENBERG CAKE? WHAT'S WRONG WITH A MONOCHROME CAKE?? DONT YOU KNOW THERES A VIRUS AND YOU'RE OUT BUYING FANCY MULTICOLOURED DELIGHTS???!!!!

Twit 2

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 30, 2020, 12:00:04 PM
https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1244577874096635905?s=19

The summons for "shopping for non-essential items" is scary. Is balsamic vinegar essential?!?

I dont know why all these are north west btw

What if the Hound of the Baskervilles makes off with your balsamic vinegar and the cost of the ensuing response tips us all into ruin?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote'The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood'.

It's a field in the middle of nowhere he can access without coming anywhere near to anyone, which he has confirmed no other fucker ever goes to. This sort of thing may be the exception to a rule but try taking blinkers off some time. This scenario does not require any particular moralising, especially not if your own legally sanctioned activities are placing you at higher risk.

Twit 2

Scratch that. I just went for a walk and did indeed fall in a hole. Then an eagle carried me to its nest and I had to be rescued with special, costly ladders.

OH FOLLY OH HUBRIS WHAT HAST I DUNST?

(I will stop now. To put it in context,  I have been called a dick for going for a walk, though, at a time it's still legal to do so. Perhaps if we go full lock down I might have to consider whether going out will incite my over 70 neighbour, who has recently had a heart attack and currently wonders freely around on a death wish, to go for a walk as well. Sorry for any offence caused, I'm bored not angry. I'm sorry to hear you're having a miserable time of it in your flat, katzen, I would be too.)

idunnosomename

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 30, 2020, 12:07:03 PM
What if the Hound of the Baskervilles makes off with your balsamic vinegar and the cost of the ensuing response tips us all into ruin?
but my courgette fritters!

BlodwynPig

fucked it,,, no food for 3 weeks

massive bereavement

Went for a walk with my youngest this morning. Closest we came into contact with anybody was a postman half way down somebody's path. It was lovely walking along the main road, hardly any traffic. A police car eventually drove by, I stated singing "Woop woop it's the sound of da police" which sent my daughter into hysterics, I guess everybody must be downloading that tune now. It was threatening rain so we didn't go far, but it feels so important for me to be able to look out over the town and beyond and just breathe at least a couple of times a week. A full lockdown might be counter productive if people feel they have to get out of the house and can only do so by going to the shops, they'll just make more trips to the shops which puts them and others at greater risk.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 30, 2020, 12:18:00 PM
It's a field in the middle of nowhere he can access without coming anywhere near to anyone, which he has confirmed no other fucker ever goes to. This sort of thing may be the exception to a rule but try taking blinkers off some time. This scenario does not require any particular moralising, especially not if your own legally sanctioned activities are placing you at higher risk.

Guess you missed this

Just because you can't see a downside to what you're doing doesn't mean there isn't one.  Just posting what you did on a public forum encourages other to justify their own lockdown breaking. 

I'm not moralising I'm warning you.  At the moment you get to go out for a bit of exercise.  If you take the piss that'll be banned.  Up to you.

AllisonSays

I'm gonna keep running for more than 30 minutes because it's a completely arbitrary figure that Gove plucked out of the air. If you seriously think my running around an empty park at 6 in the morning for an hour rather than half an hour is going to accelerate the pandemic then I don't know what to say to you. Personal adherence to the distancing measures is inportant but it feels like the government is displacing its responsibility and failures onto individual citizens at the moment, which is of course the raison d'etre of the libertarian wing of the Tories.

Quote from: DistressedArea on March 30, 2020, 09:37:03 AM
Don't know why everyone is finding it so hard.

Just follow the government advice and the police will leave you alone: remain inside, switch off all lights and electrical devices, maintain silence at all times and stay calm.

I forgot to stay calm for a little bit, but then a police officer reminded me with his taser and I am calm now.

Why don't the government just crack open the soma already so we can sleep walk gently into the Brave New World?

idunnosomename

it's one thing doing the morally right thing and not being irresponsible, it's another thing bowing to arbitrary and unclear measures which are interpreted by overzealous authorities looking for something to do.

the thing about libertarianism is that the ones with the liberty are the privileged few, while vulnerable people get a summons for buying a fucking easter egg

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote'm not moralising I'm warning you.  At the moment you get to go out for a bit of exercise.  If you take the piss that'll be banned.  Up to you.

Someone who isn't being monitored whose decisions are safe is doing nothing wrong, whether it meets the rules or not.

The spirit of the rules are to not expose others or you to risk of infection, and to achieve that by keeping a distance from others. I fail to see that Twit2 is doing anything immoral or against that aim. It falls upon you to think less rigidly, in my opinion.

These arguments aside, one thing that worried me was the Babylon saying that they will interpret the rules widely. Surely it is much better to have well defined rules that are interpreted narrowly so everyone knows where they stand and have little cause for complaint if they fall foul of them.

I say this as someone who utterly loathes the pigs and doesn't trust them to interpret rules at the best of times, much less in a serious crisis like now.

Obviously, and unfortunately, we need them, but it would be nice not to give a load of sociopathic, brain-dead pricks extra latitude to exert their 'discretion' at a time when they will be bored shitless having no football fans to provoke or burglaries to give crime reference numbers to.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 30, 2020, 01:34:26 PM

Obviously, and unfortunately, we need them, but it would be nice not to give a load of sociopathic, brain-dead pricks extra latitude to exert their 'discretion' at a time when they will be bored shitless having no football fans to provoke or burglaries to give crime reference numbers to.

Bit of a generalisation isn't it? I thought this forum was above sweeping prejudice. There's good and bad, as in any group of people. Might as well give football fans that label if we're going down that road. And this is coming from someone who has been hassled by police for no reason (albeit in America). Having to deal with the general public, many of whom can't seem to comprehend simple instructions, in this current situation is not easy.

Barry Admin

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 30, 2020, 01:59:13 PM
Might as well give football fans that label if we're going down that road.

You know it might just work, we might as well give it a try.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 30, 2020, 01:19:52 PM
It falls upon you to think less rigidly, in my opinion.

I'd pretty much say 'no u' to that.  There's a pandemic, normal rules don't apply, sadly.

I'm more than happy to discuss my interactions with the police at length if you like, and I genuinely can't think of a positive one.

I (and family) have been victim and witness to a number of pretty serious crimes which they handled appallingly in each case. There are perhaps structural reasons that explain some of the issues (targets, funding), but as a profession or attracts more than its fair share of bad eggs too.

While there are inevitably going to be some with their heart in the right place, they are little more than a state sponsored gang, and I am keen to limit their power to only that which is absolutely necessary.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 30, 2020, 02:29:44 PM
I'd pretty much say 'no u' to that.  There's a pandemic, normal rules don't apply, sadly.

So we agree. That isn't a counter argument to my point. It's just a vague dictat that in this case fails to act as the proverbial figleaf.

Buelligan

FWIW, I think the problem lies with personal judgement.  Does everyone in the community always make good decisions?  Do each one of us know everything or even enough about COVID-19 and epidemiology to enable us to always choose a correct course of action?  Does everyone always have the welfare of others as their top priority?  If the answer to these questions is NO.  One has to ask oneself why you think you are more entitled to decide this shit than other individuals.

idunnosomename

just seen a carful of lads pulled over and given a fine by a chortling copper

of course they were brown