Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aw, snap!

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 18, 2023, 08:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Chrome on my PC has recently updated and I've just tried to go on the John Lewis website. The site is fine but when I try and click on any item, I get an Aw, snap! followed by "Error code: RESULT_CODE_KILLED_BAD_MESSAGE". The help page recommends I try incognito, restart the PC, delete cookies/cache but none of these have helped. It seems (so far) to just be the JL sitewhere this happens - is it likely to be a website fault or might I need to do something at my end? (Not particularly bothered about not being able to access the John Lewis website but concerned it may be an issue that could fuck with other stuff.)

touchingcloth

I found this on google

QuoteTry to only use the task manager when you have to for a good reason.

Try to clear all cookies, data, storage, passwords.
If not working, try cleaning the GPU.
If still not working, get a new computer, and try transferring accounts.
If still not even working, I don't know anything else.

So get a new computer, I guess. Merry Christmas!

gabrielconroy

Sounds like John Lewis have fucked up big time with their code, which is being killed by BAD MESSAGE.

Or they are targetting you specifically to try to send you over the edge.

JesusAndYourBush

Some coders love to continually meddle with sites until they break something.

Wait a little while and they'll (maybe) fix it.

Then at some later date they'll break something else.

(Also, try Firefox, see if it works with that.)

seepage

QuoteTry to only use the task manager when you have to for a good reason

what's the rationale for this? I leave it running all the time

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on December 22, 2023, 01:04:27 PMwhat's the rationale for this? I leave it running all the time

Really? As in you open the Chrome task manager window and just leave it in the background?

I assume it means that it's better to close tabs properly rather than killing them from the task manager, similar to powering down a computer rather than just pulling the plug.

I only really use the task manager if a tab hangs and I do need to kill it, so it's been weeks if not months since I last had it open and I'm as surprised as you by that instruction though for quite different reasons!

JesusAndYourBush

If you used Chrome task manager to close one of the extensions you lose the extension across all tabs until you restart chrome (or without closing Chrome you could probably disable then re-enable the extension to bring it back, I've not tried it).
If you were unaware it'd leave you vulnerable to whatever the extension was supposed to be blocking.

seepage

sorry, I thought they meant Windows Task Manager!

touchingcloth

Quote from: seepage on December 22, 2023, 07:25:23 PMsorry, I thought they meant Windows Task Manager!

Ah! Could be, but Chrome has a feature also (and annoyingly) called Task Manager, so I'd assume that's what's meant. The bit I quoted was from a Chrome support forum.