Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

‘Po-Faced: The Day Today Documentary

Started by solidified gruel merchant, August 24, 2020, 09:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Apologies if this is well known and well shared, but I've only just discovered it on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/5UNXOfe9pEg

A documentary, from around the time The Day Today aired, explaining some of the techniques used in the making of the show and how it compares to real news broadcasts of the time..

the

It's included on the DVD. It was originally produced by and shown as part of The Open University.

Quote from: the on August 24, 2020, 09:05:26 PM
It's included on the DVD. It was originally produced by and shown as part of The Open University.

Oh was it? Shit, I've got the dvd too and would have watched it, but I have absolutely no memory of it.

the

It was known about prior to the DVD (I had stumbled across it myself on The Learning Zone one night, which was a surprising discovery), so it was good of them to include it on the discs.

The graphics guys there (Richard Norley and Russell Hilliard) used to work doing news graphics for ITN. They also worked on Brass Eye and later formed Jump Design.

The Day Today graphics were composed on a Quantel Henry (which Hilliard is shown using there), a digital compositing and editing system from the early 90s.

Funnily enough, the training course that the journalists are taking there seems like it might be similar to the one Armando Iannucci went on in 1990, for which he made a nonsense news package that became the genesis of On The Hour.

Ferris

Posting in here so I can find this thread later - thanks for the link!

Captain Z

I've got the DVD and went to the effort of finding all the easter eggs, so I'm surprised I have no recollection of this.

the

It's on the second disc, alongside the pilot and the Mini-News.

It's listed as 'Po-Faced Analysis' on the DVD, although as you can see the OU programme title is The English Language: News Stories.

According to Genome it was first broadcast on 16/12/1995, and seems to have been repeated about 2-3 times each year up to 2006.