Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,787
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:38:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Clapham Chemical Attack Thing

Started by Blumf, February 05, 2024, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 05, 2024, 03:58:20 PMMy partner has just taken a first aid class for work. The paramedic told her they treat acid attack victims several times a week in London. It's far more common than we're led to believe. That's a bit terrifying.
Crazy as I know this sounds, I wonder whether strong acid and alkaline substances should be harder to obtain. 

iamcoop

Quote from: druss on February 06, 2024, 08:46:42 AMCrazy as I know this sounds, I wonder whether strong acid and alkaline substances should be harder to obtain. 

I did think that it's nuts how you can just seemingly go into B&Q and buy a bottle of something you can melt someone's face off with, and then I remembered you can just go and buy a kitchen knife from any hardware shops as well.

Not really sure how you'd enforce something like that

horse_renoir

Quote from: iamcoop on February 06, 2024, 08:52:17 AMI did think that it's nuts how you can just seemingly go into B&Q and buy a bottle of something you can melt someone's face off with, and then I remembered you can just go and buy a kitchen knife from any hardware shops as well.

The government maintains records of people who use industrial/research level chemicals - there are various lists for things like 'having access to precursor components of chemical weapons' etc.
I'm very frequently stopped at airports for extra swabbing etc. which I suspect is related to this (Professional Chemical User).

This guy has specifically chosen to use a chemical to do harm in a situation where it would be a handicap compared to using a knife or even fists. I assume that this choice has a cultural/societal reason (cause disfigurement?) so I guess it would be preferable to investigate this from a cultural aspect, rather than legislation against acids/bases.

iamcoop

Quote from: horse_renoir on February 06, 2024, 09:09:55 AMI assume that this choice has a cultural/societal reason (cause disfigurement?)

I don't think disfigurement is something that's particularly associated with Geordies to be honest. They're pretty sound on the whole

superthunderstingcar

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with an acid is a good guy with an alkaline.

druss

Quote from: iamcoop on February 06, 2024, 08:52:17 AMI did think that it's nuts how you can just seemingly go into B&Q and buy a bottle of something you can melt someone's face off with, and then I remembered you can just go and buy a kitchen knife from any hardware shops as well.

I did consider that but I don't think it's equivocal, would much rather be stabbed than have a face full of acid. Yes, you could disfigure someone with a knife too but no where near as easily as just chucking some fluid at someone.

Milo

The alkaline substance could be drain unblocker. Difficult to ban that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on February 06, 2024, 09:19:49 AMThe only thing that can stop a bad guy with an acid is a good guy with an alkaline.

Or a good guy with a thick arse - it's all about that base. It will neutralise the attack, but unfortunately it will still result in assault plus water.

Kankurette

Quote from: iamcoop on February 06, 2024, 09:15:19 AMI don't think disfigurement is something that's particularly associated with Geordies to be honest. They're pretty sound on the whole
Eddie Howe leaves thread disappointed.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: druss on February 06, 2024, 09:25:19 AMI did consider that but I don't think it's equivocal, would much rather be stabbed than have a face full of acid. Yes, you could disfigure someone with a knife too but no where near as easily as just chucking some fluid at someone.
Disadvantage of throwing acid at someone seems to be that it's likely to splash back and fuck up your face as well.

Although then you can go live in the sewers and fall in love with an opera singer and Andrew Lloyd-Webber will write a musical about you, as seems to have happened in this case.

Icehaven

I know of someone getting violently assaulted in the entrance to probably the biggest and busiest pub in Birmingham a few weeks before Christmas, and the police were apparently unable to obtain any useful CCTV of the incident from either the pub or the council's CCTV system despite there being visible cameras in the street right outside.
Then this story came out last week;
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/city-centre-cctv-safety-fears-28535271#:~:text=It%20was%20claimed%20a%20technical,was%20blamed%20for%20the%20problem.

about 90% of the city centre's CCTV system being turned off for an entire weekend in January due to a "glitch" or something, which doesn't really come as a surprise. CCTV apparently played a major part in quickly catching the men who stabbed a kid outside the council house a few weeks ago though, so it's good to know it's working there so at least the councillors will be safe, phew!

imitationleather

Everyone should have their own personal CCTV camera pointing at them, hanging off an attachment on their head. Sorted.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on February 05, 2024, 04:50:23 PMWhere is the proof anyone is Christian?

Would assume Messrs Bale, Slater and Eriksen could produce written affidavits

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Icehaven on February 06, 2024, 01:07:58 PMhttps://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/city-centre-cctv-safety-fears-28535271#:~:text=It%20was%20claimed%20a%20technical,was%20blamed%20for%20the%20problem.

Jeez, a 17 year old getting stabbed to death by a 15 year old.  Things are only going to get worse as well essentially Birmingham is fucked until end of 2025.  I think the plan is to go for short sharp reduction in funding across the board to sort out the financial issues, but it means loads of stuff service wise is going.

Indomitable Spirit

"Now Mr Ezedi, I'm afraid your asylum application has been declined due to your recent conviction for sexual assau... wait, is that a bible?"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Inspector Norse on February 06, 2024, 08:36:40 PMWould assume Messrs Bale, Slater and Eriksen could produce written affidavits

Don't forget Terry

dontpaintyourteeth

ProvanFan

Quote from: Blumf on February 05, 2024, 04:44:20 PMExcept, what's the evidence that he is actually Christian now?

Millennium Prayer ringtone

Kankurette

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on February 06, 2024, 09:19:49 AMThe only thing that can stop a bad guy with an acid is a good guy with an alkaline.
Based.

Mister Six

All this talk of acid attacks puts the willies up me. I'm with druss: a good stabbing, please.

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on February 06, 2024, 03:30:48 AMHit different in 2002, it was playful and half-reassuringly half-jokingly state-paternal back then.

http://markthomasillustration.co.uk/

I dunno, that's right around the post-9/11 Patriot Act/MI5 listening in on your phone calls brouhaha. Fuck knows what they were thinking.

Zero Gravitas

Nah, still think it was playful, the cyclical reveal of the evils of intelligence agencies wasn't rising again until bugging of the UN when they needed to put pressure on them for Iraq in 2003, I'd still see this as retro styled tongue in cheek.

Mister Six

It's definitely playful, I just think it's tonally weird. The Patriot Act and outcry against it (and concerns that something similar would happen in the UK) were massive at the time. Didn't have to wait till 2003 for people to be up in arms about that.

touchingcloth

Always lol when I remember that it's not the USA Patriot Act, but the USA PATRIOT Act, and lol again when I remember that the "USA" in it doesn't stand for "United States of America".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 07, 2024, 10:04:54 PMBased.

Very good!  I like that...

Is this thing on?

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 06, 2024, 10:16:18 AMOr a good guy with a thick arse - it's all about that base. It will neutralise the attack, but unfortunately it will still result in assault plus water.

What do you mean "not pithy enough"?

touchingcloth

Russ L

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 06, 2024, 10:38:38 AMDisadvantage of throwing acid at someone seems to be that it's likely to splash back and fuck up your face as well.

Is it not usually done with squeazy bottles, though? Presumably mainly to avoid having to deal with Lloyd-Webber.

I agree wi th the general consensus:

Stabbed in the face - cool scar
Burned in the face - unfashionable redness