Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films you truly consider 'so bad they're good'

Started by Thomas, December 12, 2020, 03:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Quote from: samadriel on December 12, 2020, 07:18:08 AMThe only bad movie I've actually enjoyed for being bad was the Nicolas Cage remake of The Wicker Man. Loads of laughs, mostly covered by YouTube videos, but seeing the context is great fun too.

Agree heartily with this. Probably the most I've ever belly laughed during a film. It's like a coked up fever dream. Cage is a treasure

TheMonk

Another vote for You Can't Stop The Music. For some reason it's a tradition in Australia for Channel 9 to screen it every new year as midnight ticks over.

Ant Farm Keyboard

You Can't Stop the Music is in this case some amazing fever dream by a coked out producer (Alan Carr), but it isn't even the most interesting disco movie of that era.
I would nominate The Apple by Mehamem Golan (of Golan-Globus fame), a futuristic musical shot in Berlin West that revisits the story of Adam and Eve in the showbiz industry.
- the songs are terrible, or obvious rip-offs (with Grace Kennedy being the surrogate Donna Summer)
- it has the chess player of From Russia with Love as the devil, occasionally singing reggae
- it is Myriam Margolyes' first film feature
- the ending involves some literal deus ex machina

You can't beat this

But you can have a crossover.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on April 09, 2023, 05:09:46 AMDeath Wish 3
Class of 1984

These keep the interest all the way through, I think a lot of 'so bad they're good' films can quickly run out of gas.
A couple I remember enjoying in my teens, that I suspect might not stand up on a rewatch

Class of 1984 is brilliant - it's utterly unhinged but actually quite well made and really does feel like the producers are desperate for you to understand their deep and meaningful message about modern society (like a cross between First Blood and The Warriors). Great right to the final caption. I should really watch the sequel Class of 99.

Not quite sure if it's so bad it's good or just good, but Trancers with Tim Thomerson is an amazing example of shitty low-budget exploitation filmmaking, from its use of the cheap sci-fi standby "travel from the future to the present day" to the Christmas trimmings.

On the other hand Timecop is just good.

Ken Russell has some claims to be a great filmmaker but Lair of the White Worm is utter shit redeemed by Amanda Donohoe with a giant phallus, the opportunity to laugh at Hugh Grant, and a sinister shot of a hosepipe. A lot of fun.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 11, 2023, 01:09:59 PMClass of 1984 is brilliant - it's utterly unhinged but actually quite well made and really does feel like the producers are desperate for you to understand their deep and meaningful message about modern society (like a cross between First Blood and The Warriors). Great right to the final caption. I should really watch the sequel Class of 99.

I had no idea there was a sequel!

"A principal assigns cyborg teachers to keep the peace at Kennedy High School, but the students must unite when this backfires."
Sounds promising...

samadriel

I always meant to watch Class of 1999, because my year in school actually was the class of 1999. None of us was ever robo-spanked though.

George White

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 10, 2023, 11:42:18 PMAt least, I didn't call him Fuji... Fujiyama.

If you love Amir Shervan, check another Iranian expatriate, John S. Rad. He worked with the same director of photography, with even less budget,  and had the same misguided ambitions to deliver some mainstream blockbuster full of action. He needed 20 years to complete his only film, Dangerous Men, which was unavailable on video until a few years ago, and it's... something. The issue is not so much the continuity between shots or the dialog, as in the worst/best of Shervan, but the fact that he only had something like 50 minutes of footage in the eighties before his lead actress for a rape and revenge victim turned serial killer story broke her leg and quit. So, in the mid 90s, he used a totally different cast, with a barely related plot to fill a few gaps, and still needed to use a third set of characters to finish the story.

Which means that the narration is about as haphazard as the "two-in-one" ninja movies from the eighties starring Richard Harrison and directed by Godfrey Ho, like Ninja Terminator or Ninja Exterminator. These movies were put together by slicing entire sequences from older Taiwanese, Korean or Thai Z-movies, redubbing them with entirely new lines and integrating them as a subplot that an associate of the hero must complete, with telephone scenes with Harrison (hence the ubiquitous Garfield phone) giving the illusion that he's calling some friend to check on the advancement of the plan, while the footage is totally unrelated.
Here, Rad had to make his own "two-in-one", and let's just say that it shows, especially with the decade-long gap that caused clothes, cars, haircuts to be totally different.
Rad was also a musician, and performed the entire score on some awfully dated synth, which adds to the charm of the whole thing.

There was also Tony Zarindast who made MST3K fave Werewolf, and the astonishing Cat in the Cage (1978), a no budget sub Harold Robbins erotic boardroom drama about a mebulously defined Arab family in LA, with exiled Iranian superstar Behrouz Vossoughi, the lovely Colleen Camp of Game of Death, Dallas and Police Academy 2 fame, and 'Cybill' Danning.

Vossoughi was also in the flop US Iranian epic Caravans (1978) with Anthony Quinn, Jennifer O Neill, Michael Sarrazin, Christopher Lee and Joseph Cotten, whose Mike Batt/Barbara Dickson theme may be familiar to us Pop Crazed Youngsters.

Blumf

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on April 11, 2023, 01:54:07 PMI had no idea there was a sequel!

"A principal assigns cyborg teachers to keep the peace at Kennedy High School, but the students must unite when this backfires."
Sounds promising...

Is Class of 1999 a sequel or just trading on a similar name? Worth watching anyway.

Sgt Pepper. The 1978 Bee Gees film. So piss poor it's not officially available. I love it.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 22, 2021, 02:24:47 PMI didn't really care for Hobgoblins because it was made bad on purpose (he made it with the express purpose of getting on MST3K, if memory serves).

Hobgoblins predates MST3K but Sloane was very receptive to them riffing on his film and is said to have submitted it to them.

I've seen Hobgoblins both with the MST3K comments and without and there is virtually nothing redeeming about it aside from the entertaining garden equipment fight that goes on for 50 minutes.