Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Are there any artists not yet covered by the gang that you'd like to hear their critique on?

For me:
Joe Dolan (I love when Taylor waxes one on Irish acts)
Iris Williams
The Chanter Sisters

non capisco

Just because they're my favourite band I'd like to hear what they have to say about XTC. 'Sgt. Rock' is probably their best TOTP performance and that's one of the more controversial songs in their catalogue so enough to chew on there.

badaids

Quote from: George White on May 15, 2022, 08:57:28 PMAre there any artists not yet covered by the gang that you'd like to hear their critique on?

For me:
Iris Williams
The Chanter Sisters

I don't think they've done:

The Cure.
Cameo.
The Clash.
The Verve.
Peter Gabriel.

bigfatheart

Unlikely because their coverage of 90s Top of the Pops is minimal, but after hearing Neil praise the Wildhearts in passing I'd quite like to hear them covered.

non capisco

Egyptian Feast

non capisco

Oh yeah, def need to hear them (presumably) rhapsodise about those Associates performances.

Quote from: badaids on May 15, 2022, 09:22:37 PMThe Clash.

I think Price and Stubbs did Bankrobber on an early episode?

Has U2 ever been covered?

Other than that Roxy Music, Talk Talk, Suede, Pulp, Judas Priest, The Move and Sisters of Mercy please. I'd really like to hear Taylors thoughts on Sparks as well.

wrec

Question: I've listened to most episodes but haven't come across the origin of "seven days jankers". What's that all about?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: wrec on May 16, 2022, 12:10:55 AMQuestion: I've listened to most episodes but haven't come across the origin of "seven days jankers". What's that all about?

very early one, Stubbs grandfather was in the forces and the punishment for even minor infractions was seven days jankers. Can't remember what jankers actually was but some kind of unpleasantness anyway.

wrec

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 16, 2022, 03:27:10 AMvery early one, Stubbs grandfather was in the forces and the punishment for even minor infractions was seven days jankers. Can't remember what jankers actually was but some kind of unpleasantness anyway.

Quote from: George White on May 16, 2022, 05:15:44 AMhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jankers

Cheers - I'd actually seen a definition of "jankers" itself but didn't know how it fit into the mythology

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on May 15, 2022, 09:06:12 PMJust because they're my favourite band I'd like to hear what they have to say about XTC. 'Sgt. Rock' is probably their best TOTP performance and that's one of the more controversial songs in their catalogue so enough to chew on there.

Could be wrong but XTC might possibly receive the similar appraisal Elvis Costello once garnered on CMP. One of those artists, as a serious music enthusiast you're supposed to 'get into' but never quite connect with because of the perceived notion of them being too clever for their own good.

Das Reboot

Primal Scream

I say this as a huge fan of Vanishing Point and Xtrmntr, but fully aware that Gillespie is a colossal megatwat and would relish Kulkarni venting like he did with Oasis.

Speaking of Oasis, would like to hear what Taylor has to say about them.

Also, I've totally lost track if they've actually covered New Order or it's just been a cumulative series of proxy coatdowns referring to that performance (plus the Q&A episode).

dr beat

DenzilHolles

New Order definitely haven't been on. Nor have Pet Shop Boys, two I'd love them to cover. Al is indifferent to PSBs according to another music podcast he was on (IIRC he was asked his opinion on a single from the Imperial Phase and I don't think he'd even heard it) . Neil's not a fan, but I'm sure Simon is.

Quote from: Das Reboot on May 16, 2022, 07:59:47 PMPrimal Scream

I say this as a huge fan of Vanishing Point and Xtrmntr, but fully aware that Gillespie is a colossal megatwat and would relish Kulkarni venting like he did with Oasis.

Speaking of Oasis, would like to hear what Taylor has to say about them.

Also, I've totally lost track if they've actually covered New Order or it's just been a cumulative series of proxy coatdowns referring to that performance (plus the Q&A episode).

dr beat

If memory serves the PSBs featured on the Xmas 1987 episode which Sarah and David did.

DenzilHolles

Ah, yes you are correct sorry! Must have missed that one, but really looking forward to listening tomorrow.

Quote from: dr beat on May 16, 2022, 08:50:23 PMHave the Manics ever featured?

I don't think so.

I hope they do the episode where they played Faster and JDB drew many complaints for wearing a balaclava.

boki

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 15, 2022, 09:27:25 PMUnlikely because their coverage of 90s Top of the Pops is minimal, but after hearing Neil praise the Wildhearts in passing I'd quite like to hear them covered.

I would obviously not be against this.  I think the obvious contenders for performances would be:

Caffeine Bomb: as their first appearance and because it sounds like Motorhead doing Chas n Dave

I Wanna Go Where The People Go: the performance where Ric Blaxill appears with them 'on' second guitar wearing a bag over his head (plenty of potential for discussion of Blaxill's Proper Live Music policy there)

Anthem: Just cos the song's a right bloody racket and they look like an explosion in a seventies boutique

bigfatheart

Funnily, the two that spring to mind for me (alongside Caffeine Bomb) are Geordie in Wonderland with yer man from Wolfsbane in a Newcastle kit and Kiss make-up, and Sick of Drugs with "And if you'd like to hear the rest of the song, go and buy the single". Which goes to show that for a band who didn't do Top of the Pops loads, they put in a lot of memorable appearances. I suspect they wouldn't be up Al's street, but they'd definitely appeal to the side of him that's looking for what the kids'd be talking about in the playground the next day.

Das Reboot

Quote from: wrec on May 16, 2022, 12:10:55 AMQuestion: I've listened to most episodes but haven't come across the origin of "seven days jankers". What's that all about?

Until that lovely pop-crazed youngster compiled the wiki, I had a similar blindspot with The Old Sailor. Again, from a really early episode where I must have zoned out during Pricey's story.

boki

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 17, 2022, 05:59:35 PMFunnily, the two that spring to mind for me (alongside Caffeine Bomb) are Geordie in Wonderland with yer man from Wolfsbane in a Newcastle kit and Kiss make-up, and Sick of Drugs with "And if you'd like to hear the rest of the song, go and buy the single". Which goes to show that for a band who didn't do Top of the Pops loads, they put in a lot of memorable appearances. I suspect they wouldn't be up Al's street, but they'd definitely appeal to the side of him that's looking for what the kids'd be talking about in the playground the next day.

I had considered Geordie In Wonderland, especially if they dive deep enough to check out the other A side of the single, If Life Is Like A Lovebank, I Want An Overdraft, which is quite a delightfully odd song for a hit single by a relatively mainstream (at that point, at least) rock band.

prelektric

Quote from: non capisco on May 15, 2022, 10:11:05 PMJoy Sarney.

Ground Zero, in my opinion.

Last night I tried to explain to my mate the concept of the "Eighventies". He got incredibly annoyed by it. I wanted so, so hard for him to understand, but he just couldn't get it, and almost stormed out. Seems he found it an incredibly annoying idea. Why? Seems pretty simple to me

prelektric

Quote from: Das Reboot on May 15, 2022, 10:20:45 AMYou're a burden to your friends, Charlie Brown

For fuck's sake, it's fucking Christmas, Charlie Brown

Your inability to cope with overwhelming feelings of worthlessness and dread makes you even more unattractive, Charlie Brown

I saw it was you and let it go to voicemail, Charlie Brown

Your so-called 'cry for help' was selfish and unfair on others, Charlie Brown

If only there was something we could have done to help you, Charlie Brown

Awesome post, creased up here laughing. Danke Schoen!

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 15, 2022, 08:57:28 PMFor me:
Iris Williams
The Chanter Sisters

Were any of these on TOTP over the years? You might be waiting a long time otherwise!

No doubt you're about to slap me down with facts and stuff - I'd deserve it

Das Reboot

Quote from: prelektric on May 21, 2022, 08:10:45 AMAwesome post, creased up here laughing. Danke Schoen!

So was I while trying to transcribe it!

George White

Quote from: prelektric on May 21, 2022, 09:11:31 AMWere any of these on TOTP over the years? You might be waiting a long time otherwise!

No doubt you're about to slap me down with facts and stuff - I'd deserve it
Dolan's in a 77 ep with Blackburn. (and some Sixenties ones - but they're wiped/have Jim'll).

Iris Wiliams was on one of the 79 ones BBC4 showed, ditto with the Chanter Sisters (Sideshow).

rilk

Looking forward to them covering:

Steve Walsh
Libertines/Babyshambles
Smiley Culture
Klf

Reading/remembering Taylor's Peanuts anthology titles made me tear up a bit in a vulnerable moment. Just had a look at some of the real ones - I think "Don't Hassle Me With Your Sighs, Chuck" is my favourite

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 21, 2022, 11:44:15 AMDolan's in a 77 ep with Blackburn. (and some Sixenties ones - but they're wiped/have Jim'll).

Iris Wiliams was on one of the 79 ones BBC4 showed, ditto with the Chanter Sisters (Sideshow).

Cheers George, knew you'd come through. Will check those artists out, curious!