Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People saying "doing a bit" etc

Started by PaulTMA, May 21, 2022, 01:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulTMA

Is this utter wank permanent now

Someone needs glassed over this

tourism

I don't think anybody's going to get glassed over it tbh

PaulTMA

PaulTMA

Can you even imagine saying it in front of your own loved ones

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 21, 2022, 01:15:56 AMCan you even imagine saying it in front of your own loved ones

they'd think I was doing a bit

tourism

my loved ones would feel like comedy insiders if I said it probably and applaud

PaulTMA

Mobius

PaulTMA

sorry pops i went out like the feeder drummer i was just doing a bit

tourism

the excellent 'new phrase making me violent' bit

PaulTMA

Urge Overkill got puffy little shoes

PaulTMA

Shaky

I wasn't aware of the phrase until I saw that National Lampoon biopic with Will Forte - his character forever saying, "I'm doing a bit." Hearing it in lots of places now.

PaulTMA

PaulTMA

PaulTMA

Quote from: Shaky on May 21, 2022, 02:04:02 AMI wasn't aware of the phrase until I saw that National Lampoon biopic with Will Forte - his character forever saying, "I'm doing a bit." Hearing it in lots of places now.

Joe Rogan uses it a lot too.

AllisonSays

It's true that this phrase has infiltrated the culture, possibly as a symptom of stand up comics being lionised beyond any reason into a cross between priests and astronauts.

Icehaven

I've never heard anyone say this irl (because obviously I mix with more imaginative people and definitely not because I barely mix with anyone), how is it being used, is it people saying it about themselves if they're doing something funny or asking others if they're doing a bit if they don't understand what they're doing? Or both?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Icehaven on May 21, 2022, 08:14:54 AMhow is it being used

It's when someone posts - or has extended posts - where they seem way outside common sense or counter to their own beliefs or shared beliefs but it seems dead serious - is this part of your act sort of thing. I can't think of any examples - suppose some of the trolls are doing a bit.

EDIT - changed my mind - it's just sarcastic isn't it? A modern day "are you having a laugh?"

I only ever see it on here because I don't read other forums. Or talk to anyone.

The Mollusk

Sounds like PaulTMA was doing a bit last night ... A bit of drinking!

Bernice

Jesus Christ, who cares. Has overwrought misanthropy not had its day yet. 'People who drink lucozade get in grave hahahaha' 'Please gas everyone who likes a thing I don't like hahahahahah'

Mobbd

I don't mind it when used by comedians to describe, well, a bit. That thing that is more than a line but less than a routine might as well have a name.

Don't fret that it's an American term "coming over here". A thing has to come from somewhere.

However, I listen a podcast (that I like) with a semi-regular feature (that I don't like) about doing "bits" in real life and whether or not they land well. Usually the "bit" in question is a mildly witty remark that either cracks someone up or goes awkwardly unheeded. It pisses me off that anyone would think of being mildly witty as a way to be friendly and/or to convey phatic information as a "bit." That doesn't need a name and certainly not this one. It's just basic social background noise and calling it a "bit" makes it feel... commodified maybe? Certainly self-congratulatory. Being charming is your civic duty, bitches!

jobotic

I'm in bits here.

I've also only seen it said on CaB

shoulders

Quote from: Bernice on May 21, 2022, 10:11:59 AMJesus Christ, who cares. Has overwrought misanthropy not had its day yet. 'People who drink lucozade get in grave hahahaha' 'Please gas everyone who likes a thing I don't like hahahahahah'

Careful

Misanthropy there mate

Misanthropy that

Careful

Porky

I have just done a bit of cheese on toast in an air fryer.

idunnosomename

Do bits, love my family, simple as

fit bird

wife goes out to shed. sees drill all covered in spunk. husband says "i was doing a bit". 

[ he was doing, doing like sex, a bit, bit like drill bit ].

The Dog

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 21, 2022, 01:10:06 AMIs this utter wank permanent now

Someone needs glassed over this

Maybe you'd be happier living by yourself in the forest?