Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The trial of Julian Assange

Started by Bence Fekete, February 24, 2020, 02:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bence Fekete

Thankfully Craig Murray is still able to get in and write daily reports.

From today's.

Quote from: Craig MurrayIf you asked me to sum up today in a word, that word would undoubtedly be "railroaded". it was all about pushing through the hearing as quickly as possible and with as little public exposure as possible to what is happening.

Pinball

Flouncer

Quote from: Bence Fekete on September 08, 2020, 08:04:15 PM
Thankfully Craig Murray is still able to get in and write daily reports.

From today's.

This is fucking disgraceful, not that it should come as a surprise to anyone. The compliant press are apparently quite happy to go along with these bully boy cunts and keep quiet about it.

Quote from: Craig MurrayRather to our surprise, nobody else was allowed into the public gallery of court 10 but us five. Others like John Pilger and Kristin Hrafnsson, editor in chief of Wikileaks, were shunted into the adjacent court 9 where a very small number were permitted to squint at a tiny screen, on which the sound was so inaudible John Pilger simply left. Many others who had expected to attend, such as Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders, were simply excluded, as were MPs from the German federal parliament (both the German MPs and Reporters Without Borders at least later got access to the inadequate video following strong representations from the German Embassy).

Quote from: Craig MurrayMagistrate Baraitser then made a statement about access to the court by remote hearing, by which she meant online. She stated that a number of access details had been sent out by mistake by the court without her agreement. She had therefore revoked their access permissions.

As she spoke, we in the court had no idea what had happened, but outside some consternation was underway in that the online access of Amnesty International, of Reporters without Borders, of John Pilger and of forty others had been shut down. As these people were neither permitted to attend the court nor observe online, this was causing some consternation.

Bence Fekete

And if they can do it in broad daylight it will only embolden them. This is the litmus test for bootlicking Brylcreem shitehawks.

The ubiquitous apathy of the MSM towards covering this - in even the most basic way - is the nuclear guarantee that what's going on here is a pure hitjob. Johnny Depp: daily, hourly bulletins. Assange - notorious bete noire of Western state level criminality: zero coverage. It is not happening. Forget about it.

Daily Mail burying the Jo Cox murderer sentencing on page 46 levels of wilful denialism. Your crimes expose our crimes. We are so fucking corrupt. 

Pinball

Maybe we're not so different from China and Russia after all. Shameful to see this in the UK.

This is not due process, it is a kangaroo court. Justice is literally NOT being seen to be done! Could Assange's legal team argue for his case to be thrown out, given this legal negligence and failure to follow due process?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pcsjwgm on September 10, 2020, 03:36:00 AM
In somewhat related news, Edward Snowden has been vindicated:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/03/edward-snowden-nsa-surveillance-guardian-court-rules

shame you destroyed your computers to protect the Neo-liberal deep state, Guardian.

Quote from: Pinball on September 09, 2020, 01:49:05 PM
Maybe we're not so different from China and Russia after all. Shameful to see this in the UK.

Our citizens certainly seem to be as brainwashed as any foreign state that we might care to tut at.
You don't get to be the worlds financial epicentre without some serious world beating levels of corruption.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on September 10, 2020, 09:12:07 AM
Our citizens certainly seem to be as brainwashed as any foreign state that we might care to tut at.
You don't get to be the worlds financial epicentre without some serious world beating levels of corruption.

Far more brainwashed, because people in the US/UK waste vast portions of their life tilting at the windmill of electoral politics, despite overwhelming evidence that devoting your entire life to such pursuit will and has never made any meaningful difference.

Higher standard of living though (for a few more years, until China surpasses us)

Flouncer

I've not been following this but I just thought to have a look at Craig Murray's blog entry for today. What an absolute blatant stitch-up.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/09/your-man-in-the-public-gallery-assange-hearing-day-11/

Quote from: Craig MurrayYet another shocking example of abuse of court procedure unfolded on Wednesday. James Lewis QC for the prosecution had been permitted gratuitously to read to two previous witnesses with zero connection to this claim, an extract from a book by Luke Harding and David Leigh in which Harding claims that at a dinner at El Moro Restaurant Julian Assange had stated he did not care if US informants were killed, because they were traitors who deserved what was coming to them.

This morning giving evidence was John Goetz, now Chief Investigations Editor of NDR (German public TV), then of Der Spiegel. Goetz was one of the four people at that dinner. He was ready and willing to testify that Julian said no such thing and Luke Harding is (not unusually) lying. Goetz was not permitted by Judge Baraitser to testify on this point, even though two witnesses who were not present had previously been asked to testify on it.

Baraitser's legal rationale was this. It was not in his written evidence statement (submitted before Lewis had raised the question with other witnesses) so Goetz was only permitted to contradict Lewis's deliberate introduction of a lie if Lewis asked him. Lewis refused to ask the one witness who was actually present what had happened, because Lewis knew the lie he is propagating would be exposed.

Bence Fekete

Doesn't let up, does she?

Quote from: Craig MurrayA rather chaotic period ensued. Julian cried out from the dock that this was a misquote. He was warned he would be excluded from court by Baraitser. It turned out it was a misquote.

The lower end of Murray's report where Daniel Ellsberg (Pentagon Papers) takes the stand also very interesting:

Quote from: Craig MurrayLewis (prosecution QC) asked in a furious voice "How can you possibly, honestly say that nobody was harmed?"

Ellsberg: With all these people who felt they were in danger, of course I am sorry it was inconvenient for them, and that is regrettable. But was any one of them actually physically harmed? Did one of them actually suffer the claimed physical consequences?

Lewis: You call it regrettable that people were put at risk. Is it your position that there was absolutely no harm caused by the publication of the names of these individuals?

Ellsberg: Assange's actions are absolutely antithetical to the notion that he deliberately published these names. Had hundreds been harmed, that would count against the great good done by publication of the information. No evidence is produced that any actual harm came to them. But his has to be put in the context of the policies which Assange was trying to change, invasions that led to 37 million refugees and 1 million deaths. Of course some people could not be located again in a war that killed a million people and displaced 37 million. The government is extremely hypocritical to pretend a concern for them against their general contempt for Middle Eastern lives. They had even refused to help redact the names. This is a pretence at concern.

Lewis: What about the disappeared? Is it not common sense that some had been forced to disappear or flee under another name?

Ellsberg: It does not seem to me that that small percentage of those named who may have been murdered or fled, can necessarily be attributed as a result of Wikileaks, when they are in among more than 1 million who have been murdered and 37 million who have fled.

Nailed it. Sums up the whole trial for me; dirty laundry and moral hypocrisy. £1000 says cuntbag Baraitser supported the Iraq invasion. 

Flouncer

I mean what the fuck is that? The prosecution is effectively putting the onus on him to prove that nobody was harmed - surely if you're the one alleging that people were harmed, it's up to you to offer evidence to that effect! What a joke.

chveik

this is so fucking depressing.

high profile leftists are clearly ignoring it, it makes me sick.

of course they can't really influence what's happening, and the media's propaganda is too powerful. but still, the stakes here are really high.

Sin Agog

I wish I could be there.  I've always loved marsupials.

the hum

ignore

BlodwynPig

Bence Fekete

Pretty tough to keep up with this case day by day, not least because it was explicitly designed that way.

But Jonathan Cook tweeted this excellent up to date summary by Alexander Mercouris I hereby also recommend if you don't have time for the Murray reports and fancy a broader take. 

Quote from: MercourisRecently there has been an outcry in Britain because legislation the British government is proposing, which would allow it to modify unilaterally the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement it agreed last year with the European Union, breaches international law.

Without in any way disputing the importance of this issue, which may have important consequences for peace in Ireland, I find the angry protestations of some British journalists and politicians, that Britain never violates international law, frankly unreal.

Turns out things could actually be getting quite rough for a schitzo prosecution that can't decide how it can get away with destroying the principle of free speech without referencing their own horrendous crimes against humanity, and even a hint of optimism that our impartial sheriff Baraitser is ready to concede to the defence by default of inanity. 

I hope so. But it wouldn't surprise me if she just offs it all into a retrial so someone else has the pleasure deep psychological burden of telling Uncle Sam to fack the fack off. 

Wilbur

Today's report is mind boggling, astonishing stuff (day 21 for visitors later) . Surely they can't bury this ?

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/category/uncategorized/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2020-10-06/monbiot-guardian-assange/

Jonathan Cook continues being erudite, well organised, plain speaking and generally excellent.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 06, 2020, 04:17:34 PM
https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2020-10-06/monbiot-guardian-assange/

Jonathan Cook continues being erudite, well organised, plain speaking and generally excellent.

That is fantastic. Scythes liberal totems such as Jones and Monbiot like balsa wood.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mr_Simnock

Urinal Cake

Thank fucking Christ. Hopefully the Biden admin just gives up.

Bence Fekete

Very pleasing. The circus ain't over but a surprisingly compassionate verdict after all that farce.

The 'still guilty' charge is alarming. Turns out you can print warcrimes and evade extradition but you also have to be on the brink of topping yourself before they call the attack dogs off. Win/win, right?

Endicott

Does the US Want Julian Assange Dead? | Interview with Yanis Varoufakis - Novara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCGxne3UsQ

pcsjwgm

Biden administration scumbags continue to pursue Assange.

The administration of US President Joe Biden has appealed a British judge's ruling against the extradition of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, a Justice Department official said Friday.

The appeal made clear Biden's intention to have Assange stand trial on espionage and hacking-related charges over WikiLeaks' publication of hundreds of thousands of US military and diplomatic documents beginning in 2009.

The Justice Department had until Friday to file an appeal of Judge Vanessa Baraitser's January 4 ruling that Assange suffered mental health problems that would raise the risk of suicide if he were sent to the United States for trial.

"Yes, we filed an appeal and we are continuing to pursue extradition," Justice Department spokesman Marc Raimondi told AFP.
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210212-biden-administration-files-appeal-for-assange-extradition

the hum

Centrists, standing next to a tinder dry haystack of populism with a match and a jerrycan, going lolz.