Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast 2 (Man Sound) - ITS PIPOU TIME!

Started by dr beat, August 11, 2020, 09:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Al's dream of a Sikh member of Showaddywaddy that only he could see was in a very early episode and was one of the things that cemented my love for the podcast.

badaids

Taylor's line on Ian Hunter is the one. As soon as I heard it I knew that he and CMP where forever.

Plus Taylor's rant on Geldof.

Love Neil of course, but his constant use of 'in a sense' as a verbal crutch in every sentence does my head in.

CMP is the best thing to come into my life of the last 5 years. Any new people I meet, I decide if I will initiate them to CMP, their reaction to it is the main criterion on how our relationship develops.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Taylor's visceral hatred of Toyah is hugely entertaining. Anyone who's seen that documentary will understand, as she's just unbearable. A pretentious, entitled, arrogant fool with zero talent (Toyah, not Taylor).

I also love it whenever Sarah disagrees with Taylor. He's not always right, of course, but no one apart from Sarah ever really challenges him. CMP wouldn't be enjoyable if it involved a load of people arguing, no one wants that, but I do like those moments when she says "Well, hang on, no..."

Al, Neil and Taylor discussing ABBA's Knowing Me, Knowing You in episode #47 was a real high point for me, I've relistened to that one a LOT.

prelektric

Been a lot of brilliant posts here but I just wanted to deal with this...

Quote from: George White on May 05, 2022, 11:27:44 AMI'm 26 and genuinely feel depressed that bloke from Brotherhood of Man was 26. I feel like a late bloomer.

That denouement shocked us all, because most of us are over 40, but fucking hell, if you are the George White that I know from elsewhere, blimey. All that stuff with the interaction with the TV Cream podcasts? Over the years? That was you?? Not being an arse here, but fair play fella, and we need more young people like you that appreciate the magic of that period of television, don't stop dude, I'd buy you a pint, or whatever if you were up for it. 

(Either that or you are just trolling us and pretending to 26. I doubt it though, I've seen your work elsewhere. Assuming you are the same person. Christ, kind of awful to be cynical about it, but that is the modern, online world).

prelektric

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on May 06, 2022, 06:19:59 PMAl, Neil and Taylor discussing ABBA's Knowing Me, Knowing You in episode #47 was a real high point for me, I've relistened to that one a LOT.

Yes. Very much so here too. Brilliant.

prelektric

Quote from: SteveDave on May 05, 2022, 11:24:33 PM"THIS CUNT" Al's introduction to Little Jimmy Osmond was the first moment I realised this was the podcast for me.

Magical. I laughed so hard at that, it was all in Al's delivery of course.

Thanks everyone for posting some of their favourite moments. Some of them have made me make notes to go back to some of those episodes for another listen. And why not?

I really, really should put some money in their G-strings. I'm going to do it now. Ridiculous that I hadn't done that before, but now is the time. You might hear my name in the shout-outs at some point. Not that you know my name, but hey ho.

prelektric

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 06, 2022, 05:23:39 PMI also love it whenever Sarah disagrees with Taylor. He's not always right, of course, but no one apart from Sarah ever really challenges him. CMP wouldn't be enjoyable if it involved a load of people arguing, no one wants that, but I do like those moments when she says "Well, hang on, no..."

Yes, this is completely right - she does challenge him, but Taylor never gets pissy about it. I think it's just because he knows how horrible the descent was of that publication that he had already abandoned, yet Sarah, 6 years his junior, had to suffer those final stages, along with her colleagues, thanks to that cunt MS. (Can't expand on that, but anyone who knows MS, knows)

I've wanged on about this before, but I wrote for MM during those final dismal days too. Same era as Sarah (we never met, as I was based in Scotland and only ever came down to That London two or three times). But I can confirm that MS is an intimidating man. Not in a physically threatening way, he just has a large, looming, unfriendly presence. Not a people person, put it that way. A passive-aggressive bully.

Neil and Sarah's descriptions of him are entirely accurate. They had more encounters with him than I ever did, but listening to their stories was quite cathartic. My instincts weren't wrong.

Anyway, he 'sacked' me (you can't really sack a freelancer, you just stop replying to their emails) because I'd always slag off the likes of Stereophonics and whoever else we were all supposed to like. I lasted 18 months at MM, and I'm quite proud of that. 24 years old I was (I actually was 24 years old; not for the entire 18 months, obviously).

prelektric

Had no idea fella. Genuinely sorry if all this dredged up some bad shit for you.

I wasn't going to mention this but perhaps it will at least help to consolidate the matter.

I did have the bizarre misfortune of crossing the path of MS once through work in the early 2000s, (I was so, so young, whatever happened? Sigh etc). It was a long time ago now, but I'll not forget it easily.

Now, I like to think I am, and was, a good judge of character, that instinct has always served me well. I knew within a few moments of meeting that twat that he was a complete and utter cunt. The modern parlance of "toxic" is probably apposite.

To hear Neil and Sarah dancing around tearing him a new arsehole wasn't particularly surprising, but it was certainly cathartic. And I'd only knew him for a couple of hours or so before we could get the fuck out of there. Couldn't imagine spending any more time around him than that.

Still though, 18 months at MM during those days is not to be sniffed at, especially as a freelancer. You should be proud of that. :)

Epic Bisto

Howdy, fellow Two Man Sound avatar bro!

Strangely appropriate considering the (hilarious) Twitter link above, I was sold when David Van Day's Chart Music (11/01/82) appeared - Dollar AND DLT getting a solid coat down ("if there was a film of these two fucking it would have a U certificate").

Since then, the podcast has infected me: random moments when the likes of "hold on here comes jism!", the Sikh lad out of Showaddywaddy, Comrade Shakey, Pipou, "it'd be better if they [NASA] did something for the old 'uns", the Murat Food Centre...they all suddenly pop in my head and I have to burst into laughter.  Let's not forget some underrated Imagination-related moments (Al's dream performance of "Body Talk" with them writhing around an uncomfortable Simon Bates, Extra Exciting Eistedfodd, "all the dads across the country suddenly going silent, lost in thought")

George White

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 01:13:55 AMBeen a lot of brilliant posts here but I just wanted to deal with this...

That denouement shocked us all, because most of us are over 40, but fucking hell, if you are the George White that I know from elsewhere, blimey. All that stuff with the interaction with the TV Cream podcasts? Over the years? That was you?? Not being an arse here, but fair play fella, and we need more young people like you that appreciate the magic of that period of television, don't stop dude, I'd buy you a pint, or whatever if you were up for it. 

(Either that or you are just trolling us and pretending to 26. I doubt it though, I've seen your work elsewhere. Assuming you are the same person. Christ, kind of awful to be cynical about it, but that is the modern, online world).
Yes, it's me, been mostly spending the last five years watching all the films I've meant to see (or only wtched partly on youtube or dailymotion or seen only in clips - basically growing up on 100 greatest movie clip shows meant i almost felt I'd seen everything when I hadn't, basically my expertise was mostly book-reading)

Oh, I'm 26 alright, well 26 until July (but as I said, feel younger, then again I was pretty shetered until I was 17, thanks to asthma, anxiety, autism, and raised on a diet of a few dvds every few weeks)

And BTW, I don't drink, and I despise smoking, and I react badly to drugs. I don't do drugs, I do films and I eat a lot, but .  I'm trying to cut back on fried foods.
On the other hand, Johnny Logan was 26 when he won the Eurovision, and he still looked like a youth.

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 07, 2022, 10:25:52 AMOh, I'm 26 alright, well 26 (but as I said, feel younger, then again I was pretty shetered until I was 17, thanks to asthma, anxiety, autism, and raised on a diet of a few dvds every few weeks)

Never stop mate, you're somewhat of a legend (not Gary) around other parts due to your knowledge and perseverance. And never let anyone tell you otherwise.

George White

PM me.
(I have long assumed I am a nuisance - having been twitter-blocked and mentioned in the negative by some folk who may or may not still be on here - also with TVC connections)
It's good to know
BTW I have an article in the latest Sight and Sound - on the 1986 film4 Ping Pong.

What was your TVC/twitter name?

RE:this podcast, the thing that made me love it was that they covered Danny Mirror, with whom I've had something of a fascination with for a while.

Though admittedly he's not even the best Dutch Elvis tribute who did stuff with the Jordanaires.
The mighty Jack Jersey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_CXZDavgiI

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 07:26:16 AMGenuinely sorry if all this dredged up some bad shit for you.

Not at all, it's quite alright. I enjoyed my time freelancing for MM, for the most part anyway. I joined just before Sutherland's ruinous reign of terror began, so thinking back I must've filed drivel (and it really was drivel) for more than 18 months. Just over two years maybe?

Anyway, it was a formative experience. If nothing else, I got to see Ultrasound during a dramatic rainstorm at Glastonbury. That was quite something.

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 07:26:16 AMStill though, 18 months at MM during those days is not to be sniffed at, especially as a freelancer. You should be proud of that. :)

Ta. :)

Quote from: prelektric on May 07, 2022, 07:26:16 AMI did have the bizarre misfortune of crossing the path of MS once through work in the early 2000s, (I was so, so young, whatever happened? Sigh etc). It was a long time ago now, but I'll not forget it easily.

Now, I like to think I am, and was, a good judge of character, that instinct has always served me well. I knew within a few moments of meeting that twat that he was a complete and utter cunt. The modern parlance of "toxic" is probably apposite.

Sorry to hear that you also crossed paths with him. All I know about the man is this: he's a shit writer, he destroyed MM, and he has an obnoxious, intimidating demeanour. For what it's worth, all the other people I spoke to at MM during my brief and unexceptional tenure were really nice.

Golden E. Pump

Neil being unleashed on Oasis was a personal favourite moment.

There are so many funny moments - many are often Taylor's one liners. He's so naturally funny and I was so lucky to record with him. When I was talking to him I had to remind myself that I wasn't listening to an episode of Chart Music and that at some point I would have to say something in response.

The podcast is truly incredible. It's inspired me to try and change my whole career and every time that seven hours drops I clear room for it. The guys should get far more mainstream attention for this than they do.

Also wanted to stick up for David Stubbs here too after the comments upthread. He's one of the good guys and I was fortunate enough to speak to him too. A true gent and he really knows his stuff about a huge spectrum of music.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on May 07, 2022, 11:29:11 PMThere are so many funny moments - many are often Taylor's one liners. He's so naturally funny and I was so lucky to record with him. When I was talking to him I had to remind myself that I wasn't listening to an episode of Chart Music and that at some point I would have to say something in response.

I really enjoyed that episode and thought you worked really well with him. I eked it out over a few days like a lump of hash during a drought and had a great time getting reacquainted with mid-70s Neil Young in the meantime. I'd love to hear him talk about The Fall in that format. I'm sure that episode would be twice as long.

dr beat

Blue Jam has started a thread in Deeper into Movies about the Summer of Soul film.  Lots to enjoy for the pop-crazed youngsters, such as Sly and The Family Stone on blistering form which I'm sure Al would appreciate.  Likewise some great performances from Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and the Pips and Nina Simone among many others.

George White

Looking at the latest Chart Music Top 10, wondering what some of the bands sound like.

E.g.
Eagle Farm Today
A shakeup of the popular New Zealand pop group of the late 60s, Eagle Farm fronted by brothers Bevan (lead singer, guitarist) and Royston Preston (secondary vocals, piano), drummer Bundy James, bassist  Tony Cakebread and saxophonist  Irving St Kilda. They had three top 40 UK hits before Bevan left in 1970 to front the Bevan Preston Band, a country outfit who had moderate success in New Zealand and Australia, but never charted in the UK. In 1971, Eagle Farm regrouped,  now based in London, and calling themselves Eagle Farm Today, with Royston now billed as lead singer, but with a female Australian co-vocalist, Noeline Peterson. Bundy James left during production of the album, though stayed on as a roadie/tour manager,  his place as drummer taken by the South African-born Cathy Holness. With two 'lovely ladies' in the group, the band gained 6 more top 40 hits, reaching the Top 10 in December 1971 with a  bluesy cover of Mary's Boy Child, and then hitting no 11 in 1973 with their cover of One Tin Soldier (Theme from Billy Jack).  In 1976, the band now fronted by Tony Cakebread, with Royston now mainly on piano (with occassional backing vocals) found themselves banned by the BBC when their song 'Six Foot Six' (Time for a Kiss) reached no 49. The song, about a transvestite out on the town who finds unwanted mate attention proved to be the band's downfall, and Royston left the band soon after, returning to New Zealand and joining his brother's group - now known as Preston. Nevertheless, the Preston-less group consisting of Cakebread, Peterson, Holness, St Kilda and yes - Bundy James reverted to the Eagle Farm name, and had one more album - the ABBA-influenced Island Songs before splitting up again in 1978.

George White

Looking at the ep 62 playlist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGZOmcR-nU&list=PLS6eS2M7j6AD-3SyfWKai2vjw4jfitBhc&index=30 thanks to @chartmusictotp, watching this again. I can't believe they didn't bring up 22.03 -exciting western drama  'the Jisms'     
 The Duke with Robert Conrad looks especially American Policeman-esque. 

prelektric

Quote from: Epic BistoHowdy, fellow Two Man Sound avatar bro!

Bless you my friend. We are one in the Two Man Sound!

Quote from: Epic Bisto on May 07, 2022, 09:24:25 AMSince then, the podcast has infected me: random moments when the likes of "hold on here comes jism!", the Sikh lad out of Showaddywaddy, Comrade Shakey, Pipou, "it'd be better if they [NASA] did something for the old 'uns", the Murat Food Centre...they all suddenly pop in my head and I have to burst into laughter.  Let's not forget some underrated Imagination-related moments (Al's dream performance of "Body Talk" with them writhing around an uncomfortable Simon Bates, Extra Exciting Eistedfodd, "all the dads across the country suddenly going silent, lost in thought")

Fab. So much joy in a single paragraph. They genuinely saved me during the "P" word.

I often pop them on while going to sleep (cos I need a wee bit of noise just to help me drift off), woke at 3am one night just as Taylor was launching into a rant about something or other, but laughed so much I couldn't get back to sleep. Once you're up, you're up.

And then there's the whole "gay panic" over *that* "The Style Council" record which really should have put Al in some sort of therapy...

Oh, and Imagination were fantastic weren't they? Just me? Oh well...

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 07, 2022, 10:25:52 AMOn the other hand, Johnny Logan was 26 when he won the Eurovision, and he still looked like a youth.

Sorry fella, but had to pick up on this as I missed it, I loved that song, my parents had it on 7" and span that a lot on my little Dansette turntable. Unashamedly wistful.

(Quite topical, since this year's final is tonight. My vote is for Moldova's entry, a wonderfully uplifting ode to a new train line - that's pure Eurovision that, and in a just world, it would win. But I think we know the outcome of this one)

George White

Was listening  to the 77 ep where they discuss Punch, hadn't heard the preamble before (which I tend to skip), but loved Taylor's dissertion on Pete Walker and especially  Home Before Midnight, which I did see a few months back.
Proper grim little film. But the epitome of the Eighventies. https://ok.ru/video/2509161630294
It may be the most Chartmusic thing ever
It also has Chris Jagger (basically playing his brother, except they call him Nick), John 'Cap'n Birdseye' Hewer, Sharon 'nescafe' Maughan,  Charles Collingwood off Telly Addicts, Nicholas Young from the Tomorrow People, Annie Nightingale...

On an ideal double bill with the Comeback, the other Walker music bizsploitation film with Jack Jones (in a role offered to Bryan Ferry) as a pop singer whose wife is murdered and stalked by a mysterious lace-gloved old hag in a wig
Spoiler alert
who turns out to be Bill Owen in drag, plotting with he and wife Sheila Keith to kill Jones because their daughter was an obsessive fan who killed herself when he got married
[close]
Also has Pamela Stephenson, David 'Bosley off Charlie's Angels' Doyle, Richard Johnson, the bloke who copped off with Gloria Grahame that Jamie Bell played in Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, Jeanine St Hubbins and Penny Irving from Walker's House of Whipcord/Are You Being Served? who I admire simply because she lied about her age for years - was actually in her thirties during her prime, but took 13 years off, and thus was playing teenage girls in what was probably considered middle age back then.

Also, surprised on twitter that Al didn't know the connection between his beloved Dangerfreaks and Jigsaw - in that Brian Trenchard Smith, director of Dangerfreaks (a vehicle for legendary Australian stuntman Grant Page) did the brill Hong Kong/Aussie kung fu cop film The Man from Hong Kong, the main theme of which was SKy High by Jigsaw, their big hit, and featuring Page (plus George Lazenby as the villain, and Sammo Hung, and some lass out of Prisoner that Al probably would recognise in a heartbeat). The bluray from Australia is region free and has as extras Dangerfreaks, the failed TV pilot Deathcheaters (a kind of Shakin' Avengers about two blokes who run a company called Cunning Stunts) and the almighty seen-to-be-believed Stunt Rock (with Page teaming up with a magic/rock band club act called Sorcery, also featuring Phil Hartman in an early role).

prelektric

Quote from: George White on May 14, 2022, 01:42:57 PMthe failed TV pilot Deathcheaters (a kind of Shakin' Avengers about two blokes who run a company called Cunning Stunts) and the almighty seen-to-be-believed Stunt Rock (with Page teaming up with a magic/rock band club act called Sorcery, also featuring Phil Hartman in an early role).

I demand to see both of these things. Now. blimey

EDIT: Thanks to a brief mention upthread, currently listening to Imagination. It's all that sod's fault and I'm loving it.

MORE EDIT: - "Just An Illusion" is a proper banger.

non capisco

Quote from: George White on May 14, 2022, 01:42:57 PMWas listening  to the 77 ep where they discuss Punch, hadn't heard the  preamble before (which I tend to skip)

There's almost always Chart Music gold in the preambles. Bollockdog/Bummerdog, "The Treacherous Steph" and the story of 'East End Tune' by Ed Case were I think all preamble material. Plus I love the fact that CMP has evolved into such baroque content that they need an hour before they even get to the purpose of the podcast.

prelektric

Quote from: non capisco on May 14, 2022, 05:40:58 PMThere's almost always Chart Music gold in the preambles. Bollockdog/Bummerdog, "The Treacherous Steph" and the story of 'East End Tune' by Ed Case were I think all preamble material. Plus I love the fact that CMP has evolved into such baroque content that they need an hour before they even get to the purpose of the podcast.

Yes, my fellow pop crazed youngster. The preamble has grown into a monster, but we couldn't have it any other way, now it is established, it continues to provide plenty of pearls. I love it when Al asks Taylor what he's been up to, and all Taylor can do is sort of sigh and say "Well, if you must ask..." That man can come here for a coffee, or whatever he fancies, and I'll listen to him while he sits on my couch and, well, just be Taylor. Sometimes, people just need someone to talk to. I'd be happy to be that person. For him.

Quote'East End Tune' by Ed Case

Oh bloody hell, forgot about that gem. Amazing. Don't want to spoil it for others.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: prelektric on May 14, 2022, 05:35:28 PMEDIT: Thanks to a brief mention upthread, currently listening to Imagination. It's all that sod's fault and I'm loving it.

MORE EDIT: - "Just An Illusion" is a proper banger.

I've been caning the first two Imagination albums recently, they're both mint.

I took my partner out to see Leee John at a Pizza Express recently. Tiny venue and he had at least a half dozen mates in the audience (the woman on the table next to ours had been in a Boney M tribute band with him pre-Imagination), so it felt like we were gatecrashing his party. Great night out, but unfortunately I was still eating my pizza when he was doing an audience participation bit during 'Body Talk', so I had little to offer when he thrust the mic at me. The dorky youngster on a date next to us must've impressed him though, he got three 'Body Talk's. His date was delighted.

prelektric

Wow. This sounds like the best night out ever. (Apart from the Pizza Express thing) ;)

Who wouldn't want to meet Leee John, seems like a lovely guy.

bigfatheart

Now, if Prince Andrew had said he remembered going to Pizza Express because Leee John got him to join in on "Body Talk"...

Das Reboot

Quote from: non capisco on May 14, 2022, 05:40:58 PMThere's almost always Chart Music gold in the preambles. 

You're a burden to your friends, Charlie Brown

For fuck's sake, it's fucking Christmas, Charlie Brown

Your inability to cope with overwhelming feelings of worthlessness and dread makes you even more unattractive, Charlie Brown

I saw it was you and let it go to voicemail, Charlie Brown

Your so-called 'cry for help' was selfish and unfair on others, Charlie Brown

If only there was something we could have done to help you, Charlie Brown