Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:17:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

WREXHAM THREAD

Started by Blue Jam, August 19, 2020, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amateur

What does city status mean for Mad Friday, please

PowerButchi

Even more blood outside the Long Pull.

BritishHobo

Rob's back in town. Seems like he might be sticking around until the game, so I wonder if he has much planned in terms of local visits

BritishHobo

Football is fucking stressful. Why have I always written it off as boring?!

buttgammon

Fucking hell, this is nerve wracking!

buttgammon

BritishHobo

Well there's your FX finale. Can't say it wasn't fucking hard fought-for though.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 28, 2022, 03:12:33 PMWell there's your FX finale.
Commissioning sad piano for the soundtrack as we speak.

Anyone read this yet? I'm guessing he'll turn up in the documentary from time to time, maybe even a good blubbing scene at the end too.

QuoteKarl Phillips is just one of the lads – roofer by day, pilsner drinker by night. But as Bootlegger, he's scored hundreds of thousands of hits on YouTube with his hilarious matchday vlogs and keeps a huge number of followers on social media hooked with his humorous musings on life, work, the Flamethrower and his beloved Wrexham AFC. He even has a beer named after him – Wrexham Lager's iconic Bootlegger 1974 Pilsner, which has made its way onto the shelves of major supermarkets.

BritishHobo

Wrexham AFC are now partnered with and sponsored by Lucas Oil Products Inc, an oil corporation owned by a pro-Trump tycoon who uses his millions and political connections to push an anti-environmentalist and anti-animal-rights agenda. If this is the way season 2 is going then I'd prefer a cancellation.

jobotic

QuoteCharlotte Lucas, who founded Lucas Oil with her husband Forrest, hit the headlines in 2014 for a controversial Facebook post. She wrote: "I'm sick and tired of minorities running our country! As far as I'm concerned, I don't think that atheists (minority), muslims (minority) or any other minority group has the right to tell the majority of the people in the United States what they can and cannot do here. Is everyone so scared that they can't fight back for what is right or wrong with this country?"

Lovely

bgmnts

BritishHobo

Not a great couple of weeks for Wrexham. The only thing we got was the thing nobody actually wanted.

PowerButchi

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 31, 2022, 07:34:08 PMNot a great couple of weeks for Wrexham. The only thing we got was the thing nobody actually wanted.

I got a lock in in the Vaults Ruabon.

Twonty Gostelow

PowerButchi

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 03, 2022, 01:47:39 AMWas Sparky in?

The last time he was in was last October for our mates funeral. He wasn't happy when I handed him a business card as I knew he was stuck for work

Blue Jam

Dex Sawash

Watching that, I'm a bit disappointed to learn that Wrexham is pronounced like it looks. Unless they all got it wrong.

bgmnts

Wrecsam people are the oddest sounding welsh people ever to me.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 22, 2022, 11:41:09 PMWrecsam people are the oddest sounding welsh people ever to me.

When I was a youngster visiting my dad's family in Bersham, I could never understand why all the family members seemed to have a different accent, despite all being from the Wrexham area. To my ears Aunty Meg sounded obviously Welsh but Uncle Johnny had a sort of mild scouse accent and neither of them sounded like my dad.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 23, 2022, 11:57:02 AMWhen I was a youngster visiting my dad's family in Bersham, I could never understand why all the family members seemed to have a different accent, despite all being from the Wrexham area. To my ears Aunty Meg sounded obviously Welsh but Uncle Johnny had a sort of mild scouse accent and neither of them sounded like my dad.
Definite mix of North Wales/Gwynedd and Liverpool to some of the accents. Heard la' for lad used a lot, as in Liverpool, but in a local accent. The Newport Welsh accent has elements of Caaardiff to the west and Brizzle to the east, so I guess that's comparable.

I actually quite like the accent(s) but I'm from Wolverhampton so anything sounds good to me.

Blue Jam

Do Wrexhamites still say a drawn-out "your" instead of you, ie "I'm not giving any to yooouuurr" or "I'm better than yooouuurrr"? People at school started doing that around 1990 and it drove me up the wall. I thought it was a Muffit of Tea situation but the last time I visited Wrexham was 2005 and I still heard people doing it.

buttgammon

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on July 23, 2022, 11:57:02 AMWhen I was a youngster visiting my dad's family in Bersham, I could never understand why all the family members seemed to have a different accent, despite all being from the Wrexham area. To my ears Aunty Meg sounded obviously Welsh but Uncle Johnny had a sort of mild scouse accent and neither of them sounded like my dad.

This is similar with my family, some of whom are proper Wrexham (especially my nana, who has the more old-fashioned accent that's more identifiably Welsh to the uninitiated) but a lot of us get people saying we sound like we're from the Wirral, Manchester or in my case, Shropshire for some reason.

PowerButchi

I get accused of sounding South Walian or worse, like a Jacko.

canadagoose

Quote from: PowerButchi on July 24, 2022, 09:56:47 PMI get accused of sounding South Walian or worse, like a Jacko.
What's a Jacko?

I wish more people would record clips of their Wrexham accents, because it seems like an interesting area with a lot of variation. Would be a great Linguistics PhD project.

buttgammon

Quote from: canadagoose on July 25, 2022, 04:51:05 AMWhat's a Jacko?

I wish more people would record clips of their Wrexham accents, because it seems like an interesting area with a lot of variation. Would be a great Linguistics PhD project.

Someone from the nearby village of Rhos, a place with its own distinctive features like a historically very weird Welsh dialect. The name comes from the locals' historical commitment to Jacobitism

canadagoose

Quote from: buttgammon on July 25, 2022, 09:16:23 AMSomeone from the nearby village of Rhos, a place with its own distinctive features like a historically very weird Welsh dialect. The name comes from the locals' historical commitment to Jacobitism
Interesting, thanks.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: buttgammon on July 25, 2022, 09:16:23 AMSomeone from the nearby village of Rhos, a place with its own distinctive features like a historically very weird Welsh dialect. The name comes from the locals' historical commitment to Jacobitism

Known for their high pitched hooting, and the lovely greeting

SHAMONE

PowerButchi

Blue Jam