Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 726
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Words and phrases that only newspaper headlines use

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, May 16, 2022, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 16, 2022, 02:16:26 PMLeggy display

"flaunts her curves"
"puts on a busty display"
"showcases her burgeoning baby bump"

Daily Mail-speak for "We weren't harassing these women just going about their business, they asked for this attention, honest"

shoulders

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2022, 02:30:13 PM'BUNGLING' when describing incompetence, usually civil servants.

Ah yes, that's another angle.

Crime stories pass through the filter of original Batman comic book type language. 'Caper', 'bungling', etc

Sex passes through the filter of innuendo laden bigoted seaside postcard language.

It almost makes one pro-terrorism, but on balance legal means of disarming them altogether are preferable.

Famous Mortimer

"Internet is in an uproar"
=
three fuckwits on Twitter

Stoneage Dinosaurs

"Man/woman sparks debate after admitting to blablabla"

=

"We copy and pasted a reddit/mumsnet thread about blablabla and pretended it's a news story"

In the early 90s, an article hinting at some prominent person's son's sexuality: "Justin, 28, an unmarried dancer..."

Ferris

non capisco

Do they still do the following or are these more of an 80s/90s thing?

'Flamboyant' = gay
Flamboyant actor Christopher Biggins

'Larger than life' = overweight
Larger than life, flamboyant actor Christopher Biggins

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on May 16, 2022, 03:58:18 PMDo they still do the following or are these more of an 80s/90s thing?

'Flamboyant' = gay
Flamboyant actor Christopher Biggins

'Larger than life' = overweight
Larger than life, flamboyant actor Christopher Biggins

I remember in the early 2000's, being on a school trip where someone had bought a copy of the Daily Sport and in those days they seemingly still thought it acceptable to open columns with "Big Brother arse bandit, <name> ..." it stuck with me since just because of how grim it was in print.

Fambo Number Mive

"Brits" do X or Y.

Does anyone apart from newspapers talk about "Brits"?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2022, 02:30:13 PM'BUNGLING' when describing incompetence, usually civil servants.

Yes. Surprised Bungle hasn't taken a newspaper to court over this.

Jockice

Quote from: shoulders on May 16, 2022, 01:22:52 PMTV funnyman

At my paper weren't allowed to do that. Funnyman had to be two words. So it would be 'TV funny man.' Which makes no sense whatsoever.

It also used to insist on 'granny' being spelt 'grannie' while the word 'boffin' was totally banned.

shoulders

shoulders

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 16, 2022, 04:23:11 PM"Brits" do X or Y.

Does anyone apart from newspapers talk about "Brits"?

Every American.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 16, 2022, 03:19:08 PM"Internet is in an uproar"
=
three fuckwits on Twitter

See also "It's the craze that's sweeping the internet"
=
A two-page spread of tired old memes that everyone's forgotten about.
=
Slow news day.

Blue Jam

"helmer" used to mean a film director. If you are the helm of a ship and you are doing the job of making it move you are not a "helmer", you are a pilot or possibly a captain, and you are not "helming" the ship, you are piloting it or steering it FFS.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Endicott on May 16, 2022, 01:37:44 PMThis is a common sight on any village green throughout the land when the local cricket team gets going.

Hello :)

"lifting the title" is one I hear/read a lot in association with snooker. At first it was only Dennis Taylor saying it when he obviously meant "lifting the trophy", but now everyone seems to be using it.

JesusAndYourBush

BUXOM

Does the Sun still do the bold/allcaps thing with those selected words?

Blue Jam

...unless it's medical incompetence, then the word is "BOTCHED".

imitationleather

Tabloids seem to love the word 'supremo'. It can be anything from the chief executive of a multinational company to the chairman of a minor football club. Don't think I've actually ever heard anyone use this word IRL.

Footballers are always 'aces' who are 'jetting in' for signing talks, as though taking an Easyjet flight or the like was part of some kind of opulent international playboy lifestyle.

imitationleather

LOVE NEST for when two people in a relationship are papped coming out of a hotel.

touchingcloth

People in headline never call or criticise something.

Why say "Starmer calls Johnson a cunt while criticising him over lockdown parties" when you can write "Starmer BLASTS Johnson for lockdown bash as he brands him a cunt"?

I think they just like the b-words.

Video Game Fan 2000

I truly loathe the Sun's "Now it's [pun on a person's or event's name]" constructions, they capture the real cringe of being spoken down to by a stupid rich person. I've never heard someone make a pun by saying NOW ITS SLOW LORIS JOHNSON (Johnson climbs tree) or NOW ITS JEREMY PARKSON (jeremy clarkson has a fatal stroke in a park)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 16, 2022, 05:12:26 PMNOW ITS JEREMY PARKSON (jeremy clarkson has a fatal stroke in a park)
Oh, you, with your happy dreams

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on May 16, 2022, 05:12:26 PMI truly loathe the Sun's "Now it's [pun on a person's or event's name]" constructions, they capture the real cringe of being spoken down to by a stupid rich person. I've never heard someone make a pun by saying NOW ITS SLOW LORIS JOHNSON (Johnson climbs tree) or NOW ITS JEREMY PARKSON (jeremy clarkson has a fatal stroke in a park)

On a similar note, shortening someone's name to something nobody ever calls them in order to get it to fit into a small space. "ROO ROMP GIRL TELLS ALL"

Jockice

Maddie McCann. Something her parents never called her,
Jamie Bulger. Something his parents never called him. It was always James, but Jamie sounded more babylike.
Robbie Wiliams. Something his parents never called him. Although his family actually knew/know him as the much shorter Bob. If only the tabloid writers had known that, eh?

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 16, 2022, 02:33:50 PMDaily Mail-speak for "We weren't harassing these women just going about their business, they asked for this attention, honest"

The Daily Mail seems to think a lot of things are 'hilarious' as well. They usually aren't.