Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

being "funny"

Started by madhair60, May 17, 2022, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishfinger

I had to be told to go to bed, on here.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: non capisco on May 17, 2022, 05:37:09 PMI'll never be as funny as the little kid who lives near me who I can currently hear outside singing "THE QUEEN IS LOOKING AT MY WILLY" repeatedly at the top of his voice.

Unless he's retroactively reporting a historic offense I suppose.

Lock the thread :-D

The Mollusk

I'm funny. I'm real fuckin funny. Ask anyone.

Pink Gregory

Neither funny nor charismatic nor interesting but I don't try too hard (usually) and it seems to work out. 

Don't know many people who are very high energy so maybe that helps, low key as the kidz say.

RetroRobot

Socially yes? I'm usually "on" as a result of it being my only real personality trait as a kid.

At work? God no. My colleagues don't have the same sorta weird sense of humour I, or my friends, do.

madhair60

poo

shoulders

The meet was almost totally hirsuite, with only me letting the side down, while one of the attendees was the hairiest person I've ever seen (and seemingly a very nice man).

This new batch are some hairy cunts I can tell you. Makes a man weep! (and hard).

JaDanketies

I did a speech at an appropriate family event that went down well, and MIL said "I didn't know you were funny!" But I think I'm quite often being witty. Fiancée, friends and close family would think I have lots of jokes, many of which are bad.

I think perhaps I'm often trying to think of jokes and puns - often consciously - but I don't actually say them if I don't think they're actually funny. Unless I am around people I'm close to, in which case I say any old shit that comes into my head, which is quite often really poor attempts at humour.

At work I used to try to be funny too but work is boring and you're not gonna get fired for a joke

Thursday

I used to try to be funny, but now I'm too tired to bother.

the science eel

Quote from: madhair60 on May 17, 2022, 09:57:12 PMwe listened to Erasure too

this place has gone down terribly

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Oh, please. Give a little respect.

Zero Gravitas

I used to be, but I somehow lost it and what comes out now is such a malignant mockery of humour everyone feels bound to smile and make rapid breaths mixed with yelping noises emerge from their throats in sympathy.

thenoise

Love making people laugh but my natural laziness and lack of creativity means that I usually nick my hot takes from either here or some comedian that is hopefully too obscure for them to have heard.

They aren't all that keen on all my recent "cunt of death" material at work, I must admit. And I nearly ended up at a disciplinary a few years ago when I was listening to a lot of Sadowitz bootlegs.

Dex Sawash

I made Brandon laugh at work today

Bigfella

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 17, 2022, 11:11:41 PMI did a speech at an appropriate family event that went down well, and MIL said "I didn't know you were funny!" But I think I'm quite often being witty. Fiancée, friends and close family would think I have lots of jokes, many of which are bad.

I think perhaps I'm often trying to think of jokes and puns - often consciously - but I don't actually say them if I don't think they're actually funny. Unless I am around people I'm close to, in which case I say any old shit that comes into my head, which is quite often really poor attempts at humour.

At work I used to try to be funny too but work is boring and you're not gonna get fired for a joke
That's what Danny Baker thought.

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on May 17, 2022, 01:24:01 PMi never think about anything i say. it just comes out of my mouth and i have to deal with it. recently i realised i barely even think, and only discover my opinions the moment i hear myself saying them. it is like my concept of "me" is a parasite living inside this body. i wouldn't be surprised if i was a bug that lives in my brain.

I have exactly this as well, after removing your opening bits about being funny.  There are little debates sometimes when people with intellect ask on the radio "is it possible to not think" and they always follow that up with "no it isn't".  Well it is possible to not think and I am someone who has no thoughts.

I like your account of learning of your own opinions the moment they come out of your mouth, because that's exactly what it's like.

Replies From View

To answer the opening post of this thread, I'm not funny - I've always just been someone who people laugh at to be polite or to humour/include someone they think probably has learning difficulties.

Since giving up alcohol I've stopped going to CaB meets and other similar social events, because the competitive atmosphere with everyone trying to be the funniest in the room (while they get louder and louder with the addition of alcohol) gets a bit much.  When you realise you don't have anything to offer anyone, the experience of hanging around until the buses stop running is quite wearying.

The Mollusk

The only way I can be comfortable in my approach to making other people laugh whilst avoiding any sort of weird or inappropriate activity is by coming up with endless ridiculous puns, which is insufferable and should be forever confined to dead celeb threads on CaB my own head, so I'm really glad that I work alone for 95% of every day.

I had a job before the pandemic where I spent a couple of days a week in the office and despite my cheery disposition I must have come across as plain-minded as anyone else. No jokes from me.

I was out on inspections one afternoon and I saw an ad for those wellness supplements endorsed by David Gandy. There was no one around so I went "David GAAANDYYY" in a singsong voice and a fly went right down my throat and I nearly threw up hacking and spluttering in the street. I thought this incident was really funny but can you imagine going back to an office of indifferent sales and lettings negotiators and telling them? They'd never look at me the same again. No, I've always kept my professional and personal ways of thinking entirely separate.

Dr Rock

Quote from: kittens on May 17, 2022, 01:24:01 PMi never think about anything i say. it just comes out of my mouth and i have to deal with it.

You and me both Kittens. It's like Tourrettes or sunit.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 07:13:00 AMTo answer the opening post of this thread, I'm not funny - I've always just been someone who people laugh at to be polite or to humour/include someone they think probably has learning difficulties.

Since giving up alcohol I've stopped going to CaB meets and other similar social events, because the competitive atmosphere with everyone trying to be the funniest in the room (while they get louder and louder with the addition of alcohol) gets a bit much.  When you realise you don't have anything to offer anyone, the experience of hanging around until the buses stop running is quite wearying.

Is that really what it's like? There's fuck all of us from NI (unless I'm wrong) and I'm not sure we've ever had a meetup up/over here to know.

I can't stand drinking in pubs either any more and I know exactly how that feels.

Replies From View

That's been my subjective experience and it's not meant as a criticism.  I value 1:1 friendships but I can't be doing with large group gatherings anymore, especially when a lot of alcohol is involved.

It would be different if you can easily feel you fit in or have a place at such a meet.  I generally struggle like that, so it's my personal issue rather than the nature of such a gathering.  I found it during the CaB zoom meets as well, so it's not exclusively pub environments.  People here know me for very crap posts in HS Art written to purge myself of stupid ideas that otherwise eat away at me, and that creates a hurdle to overcome where people already have me down as someone not worth interacting with.  And in person I'm socially anxious and easily overwhelmed, so it's a pointless endeavour really.

Thomas

Last night I did stand-up in front of circa 70 people and they enjoyed it - but that's largely prepared and rehearsed. Am I actually funny in person? You bet buddy.

Funniest person I know was my 4-year-old nephew describing Sonic as 'the blue fella'. Made me laugh for ages.

Magnum Valentino

There a number of posters on the forum who credibly maintain a character while posting. For any of those who consciously do this (and in my opinion, those who do do it well and KNOW they do it well), how do you feel about meeting others in person? Is the weight of expectation to be your internet self (so to speak) a struggle?

JamesTC

Quote from: Thomas on May 18, 2022, 10:34:31 AMFunniest person I know was my 4-year-old nephew describing Sonic as 'the blue fella'. Made me laugh for ages.

I remember my family laughing at me for ages when I described vinyl as being "big CDs" when I was a young kid. I still stand by that as an apt description.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 18, 2022, 11:20:22 AMThere a number of posters on the forum who credibly maintain a character while posting. For any of those who consciously do this (and in my opinion, those who do do it well and KNOW they do it well), how do you feel about meeting others in person? Is the weight of expectation to be your internet self (so to speak) a struggle?

People never suspect I am not american in person either

the science eel

This thread has explained a LOT.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Replies From View on May 18, 2022, 10:28:37 AMThat's been my subjective experience and it's not meant as a criticism.  I value 1:1 friendships but I can't be doing with large group gatherings anymore, especially when a lot of alcohol is involved.

It would be different if you can easily feel you fit in or have a place at such a meet.  I generally struggle like that, so it's my personal issue rather than the nature of such a gathering.  I found it during the CaB zoom meets as well, so it's not exclusively pub environments.  People here know me for very crap posts in HS Art written to purge myself of stupid ideas that otherwise eat away at me, and that creates a hurdle to overcome where people already have me down as someone not worth interacting with.  And in person I'm socially anxious and easily overwhelmed, so it's a pointless endeavour really.

I really enjoy your HS Art posts, I don't think they are crap in the slightest.

famethrowa

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 18, 2022, 12:07:15 PMI really enjoy your HS Art posts, I don't think they are crap in the slightest.

Seconded. Replies makes some great comedy in there, it's intimidating sometimes!