Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LIzzie Line

Started by Tony Tony Tony, May 24, 2022, 09:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

There are reports in the newspapers (well the Mail but that doesn't really count) that folks queued from Midnight to be the first to ride on the brand spanking new Elizabeth line tube trains. Some folks even dyed their hair purple in tribute to the corporate colours for the line.

What the sheeple didn't know was that the trains have been running into Liverpool Street for a while now on the quiet so I caught one from Stratford. As a result I can reveal what it is like travelling on the Lizzie Line

Spoiler alert
Its like being on a train
[close]

Anyone here get the line yet? Maybe you are looking forward to your first journey in one of the purple monsters?

Feel free to share. 

Butchers Blind

Unless it's transporting you to parallel dimensions, not arsed.

touchingcloth

It pains me slightly to say this as a staunch Republican who would happily see the queen tied to her eponymous tracks*, but presumably if this line were named after a secular hero and called the Dean Gaffney Line you'd still end up with people dying their hair an appropriate colour** and riding Gaffney at the crack of dawn.

*Please note that this is a wish - a hope, a dream - and not a threat. My hands and knowledge of knots are too poor to do this myself.

**I know essentially nothing about Dean Gaffney, so sadly I can't contribute a colour myself and you'll have to mentally fill it in with whatever makes sense to you. My Gaffney, my choice.

bgmnts

Transports you to a dimension where the UK embraced Republicanism and never want to leave. But you have to leave.

Tony Tony Tony

The Evening Standard have a video for those unlucky enough not to have queued all night

Spod u like

There's a guy at the front of the crowd in a brown jacket who seems to be emulating Sgt Shitty Pants in anticipation of the big event.

The Mollusk

Don't give a fuck about the queen but I love trains and the underground in general so am very keen to experience a journey on this.

See that fucking legend Francis Bourgeois got let onto it early  with his tote bag design matching the seat pattern. Incredible guy.

Paul Calf

Brian Freeze

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2022, 09:56:23 AM*Please note that this is a wish - a hope, a dream - and not a threat. My hands and knowledge of knots are too poor to do this myself.

Cable ties mate. Probably even get some gold coloured ones to befit the occasion.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 24, 2022, 10:09:29 AMCable ties mate. Probably even get some gold coloured ones to befit the occasion.

Yeah, and for an encore I'll just tie some blue whales to the tracks, why don't I?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2022, 10:11:12 AMYeah, and for an encore I'll just tie some blue whales to the tracks, why don't I?

You'll be wanting a few rolls of gaffer tape for them then.

Fambo Number Mive

I've ridden Tfl rail from Paddington to Hanwell but am very keen to ride the actual E-Line now it is open.

I refuse to call it the "Elizabeth Line". It is Crossrail to me.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yeah honestly this sort of thing turns me into a proper little dweeb. WOOHOO NEW TUBE LINE

Probably gonna head down to London just to try it out. Then do it again when they join it up in the autumn, ride it all the way to Reading and then have a big old wander round all the horrible buildings in Reading and have whale of a time

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 24, 2022, 10:07:50 AMDon't give a fuck about the queen but I love trains and the underground in general so am very keen to experience a journey on this.

This gives a good insight and explains part 1 of who does this.

1. You like trains.
2. You like the queen and just royal stuff really.
3. You are easily affected by hype.
4. You will queue for anything like Harry Potter books or ipods.
5. You live nearby.
6. You think it's an historic event.
7. You have nothing else going on in your life.

Option B is you're trying to have sex with someone doing the above.

Norton Canes

Hang on, clarification please for us above the 53rd parallel - is this Tube, or train? Underground, overground?

Dayraven

It's an underground line, but I think it's one of the ones that in practice has quite large overground sections on its east and west ends.

The Mollusk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 24, 2022, 10:22:06 AMThis gives a good insight and explains part 1 of who does this.

1. You like trains.
2. You like the queen and just royal stuff really.
3. You are easily affected by hype.
4. You will queue for anything like Harry Potter books or ipods.
5. You live nearby.
6. You think it's an historic event.
7. You have nothing else going on in your life.

Option B is you're trying to have sex with someone doing the above.

I'm trying to have sex with the train mate, please stop trying to blow my cover.

Bad Ambassador

It's partway between a Tube line and a train service, although it's part of the Tube and and charges Tube fares. The closest similarity is to the German S-Bahn, which operates as a commuter rail bringing people in from outside the city and out the other side on mainline tracks, but interchanging with underground stations on their platform levels.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2022, 10:28:03 AMHang on, clarification please for us above the 53rd parallel - is this Tube, or train? Underground, overground?

Wikipedia tells us

QuoteDespite its name, only 45% of the system is under the ground: much of the network in the outer environs of London is on the surface

You have been fooled by Big Tube.

The Mollusk

When they say it's underground they just mean it manages its own gigs, prints its own merch and refuses to have its music on any of the big streaming platforms. Saw one of the trains play a free entry hardcore show at The Unicorn last month with Vengeance Drools and Fisting The Sky, was a great night.

Bernice

I got one of the trains from Liverpool Street to Stratford a couple of weeks ago. They're nice, and smell new in a way I'm not sure I've encountered in a train before.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Bernice on May 24, 2022, 11:13:20 AMI got one of the trains from Liverpool Street to Stratford a couple of weeks ago. They're nice, and smell new in a way I'm not sure I've encountered in a train before.

That'll be down to them not yet being christened with the stench of spilt piss and vomit from the great unwashed. Give it a month or so and Elizabeth will have that old familiar pong.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 24, 2022, 11:23:52 AMThat'll be down to them not yet being christened with the stench of spilt piss and vomit from the great unwashed. Give it a month or so and Elizabeth will have that old familiar pong.

I bet the trains will end up smelling pretty bad as well HAHAHAHAHA

king_tubby

Oh wow, did London get some more billions chucked at public transport?

Well BIG FUCKING DEAL.

gilbertharding

Crossrail? I was LIVID.

Norton Canes

Maybe we should sing 'Sweet Lizzie Line' instead huh?

Actually, that's exactly the sort of thing this nation of cunts would do

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 24, 2022, 10:37:16 AMI'm trying to have sex with the train mate, please stop trying to blow my cover.

Trains, pah. I fuck tunnels, pal. Harder for them to escape.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2022, 11:43:22 AMMaybe we should sing 'Sweet Lizzie Line' instead huh?

Actually, that's exactly the sort of thing this nation of cunts would do

Are they putting something in Zoe Ball's food? She never used to be as bad as this, surely?

shoulders

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on May 24, 2022, 11:23:52 AMThat'll be down to them not yet being christened with the stench of spilt piss and vomit from the great unwashed. Give it a month or so and Elizabeth will have that old familiar pong.

Thameslink still smells alright and feels fairly modern, for whatever that's worth.

That was also, while not useless, many orders of priority less important than improving regional rail infrastructure.

iamcoop

Yet again the town of Reading gets something fairly useful almost 20 years after I moved away from there.

I hope everyone there fucking ENJOYS it.

imitationleather

Quote from: iamcoop on May 24, 2022, 01:43:25 PMYet again the town of Reading gets something fairly useful almost 20 years after I moved away from there.

I hope everyone there fucking ENJOYS it.

I gotta hear about this other fairly useful stuff that Reading now has.