Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst Taglines

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 26, 2024, 03:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I know we've done this at least once before, but the only thread I could find via google was from 2011 so I thought I'd start a new one after seeing this poster:

I mean maybe they did it in the hope it would go viral as it's so ridiculous, and I kind of almost hope that's the case, as otherwise someone got paid to create it.

So has anyone else seen any others that are shockingly piss poor lately?

Dr Rock

Loads of people will think 'ooh I like the look of that'

Dr Rock

tbh I want to see it now.

Ruben Remus

The man with the hat is back - and this time he's brought his dad

idunnosomename

"An adventure 65 million years in the making" is shit.

1. Is it really an adventure? Its not a daring quest to achieve something. Its a serious operations failure incident caused by industrial espionage that results in a number of fatalities.

2. Why did it start being "made" when the dinosaurs died out. Surely it begun making when John Hammond formed inGen to begin his prehistoric DNA research. Or maybe even a billion years ago when life started to first evolve on Earth. Unless the adventure is the making of the park itself rather than the escape from its failure, but then that conflicts with the theme it was an act of hubris for man to play God.

Tagline shouldve just been DINOSAURS!!!!

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: greenman on March 26, 2024, 03:45:02 PMThe Stranger Just At The Edge Of The Woods.

There appear to be some trees which are floating above the trees, and elsewhere in the poster there's some trunks but no branches or leaves, so my guess is that "The Woods Are In Your Mind, And So Is The Stranger, And You Can Never Escape From Either" will be the shocking reveal at the end.

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 26, 2024, 03:24:11 PMtbh I want to see it now.

I think you should, and then report back to us all and lie and say it's amazing.

Gulftastic

The 'Battleship' movie went with 'FROM HASBRO, THE COMPANY THAT BROUGHT YOU TRANSFORMERS'.

BJBMK2

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2024, 03:56:48 PM"An adventure 65 million years in the making" is shit.

1. Is it really an adventure? Its not a daring quest to achieve something. Its a serious operations failure incident caused by industrial espionage that results in a number of fatalities.

2. Why did it start being "made" when the dinosaurs died out. Surely it begun making when John Hammond formed inGen to begin his prehistoric DNA research. Or maybe even a billion years ago when life started to first evolve on Earth. Unless the adventure is the making of the park itself rather than the escape from its failure, but then that conflicts with the theme it was an act of hubris for man to play God.

I mean, thank you, come again.

non capisco

I think there was one from a recent-ish Yogi Bear film that was GOOD THINGS COME IN BEARS but I kind of don't want the disappointment of googling it just to find out it doesn't exist and was something I thought about in that bit inbetween when you're dreaming and when you're awake.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: non capisco on March 26, 2024, 05:24:31 PMI think there was one from a recent-ish Yogi Bear film that was GOOD THINGS COME IN BEARS but I kind of don't want the disappointment of googling it just to find out it doesn't exist and was something I thought about in that bit inbetween when you're dreaming and when you're awake.

Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

One for Up the Arse Corner.

BJBMK2

Hi, my name is Mr Universal Studios, and I don't have a fucking clue how to market this film the Coen Brothers just slapped on my desk.

Keebleman

BULLOCK AT HER HILARIOUS BEST!

I think it was for Miss Congeniality 2.

madhair60

Quote from: BJBMK2 on March 26, 2024, 06:23:02 PMHi, my name is Mr Universal Studios, and I don't have a fucking clue how to market this film the Coen Brothers just slapped on my desk.

that's perfect though

Vodkafone

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 26, 2024, 05:49:45 PMIs all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

One for Up the Arse Corner.

Hahaha. That's the best incest paedo double entendre anal sex bear poster I've seen all week!

BJBMK2

Quote from: madhair60 on March 26, 2024, 06:49:29 PMthat's perfect though

Is it? It just feels like the kind of thing you'd come up with if all you knew about the film, was that it was called The Big Lebowski, there's something empty and "arsed mate" about it. And not in the fun "arsed mate" tone of the actual film. More the tone of a lazy, couldn't give a shit Universal marketing exec.

(I should stress that I'm just on about the tagline, I quite like the actual poster image itself).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Veronica Lake's on the take" from Sullivan's Travels. I've never seen the film, but Lake's character isn't taking bribes from anyone, as far as I can tell.

non capisco

Slightly off topic as it's from the trailer for The Third Man rather than a tagline but I've always enjoyed the pronouncement regarding the score "He'll have you in a dither...with his zither!"

The thought of cinema audiences worldwide all hearing the music and having the immediate Pavlovian response of "dithering". I dunno, it hits a sweet spot.

BJBMK2

I feel like there wouldn't be enough candidates for a "Best Taglines" thread, cos most taglines are inherently trash. So I'll post this here and say that this works perfectly. There's probably a reasonable school of thought to the notion of, the shorter the tagline, the more effective.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 26, 2024, 07:45:52 PM"Veronica Lake's on the take" from Sullivan's Travels. I've never seen the film, but Lake's character isn't taking bribes from anyone, as far as I can tell.

One of my pandemic film projects was to watch everything Preston Sturges either wrote or directed, and Sullivan's Travels is one of his best, but as you mentioned that tagline makes no sense whatsoever.

Brundle-Fly

If the tagline was "Dracula, your favourite pain in the neck is back!" it would be a bit wishy-washy, but serviceable enough. However, the "...is about to bite your funny bone." appendage just entirely over-eggs the whole joke. Firstly, you don't sloppily repeat a word from the movie title in your tagline (see the OP example) and secondly, Dracula is not generally known for biting bones, funny or not.

2/10.

Utter nonsense even before the weird typo on the DVD cover.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2024, 03:56:48 PM"An adventure 65 million years in the making" is shit.

They made dinosaurs
What do you think happens?

Keebleman

"We know it's gonna sell, nothing we do will increase or decrease the take, so here's the line, and now I'm off home for the day."

Vodkafone

What the fuck is going on with that 3? ^

Is it meant to look extra lethal? Well lethal? Is the font in fact called Well Lethal?

Keebleman

To underline just how lazy that tagline is, here's the one they used for the previous film:

For 3 they couldn't even be bothered with an exclamation mark!

idunnosomename

Quote from: BJBMK2 on March 26, 2024, 08:14:11 PMI feel like there wouldn't be enough candidates for a "Best Taglines" thread, cos most taglines are inherently trash. So I'll post this here and say that this works perfectly. There's probably a reasonable school of thought to the notion of, the shorter the tagline, the more effective.

feel Stone and Parker took a lot of the faux-epic with bathetic undermining for the promotion of this theatrical film from Life of Brian. They did very well of course, really is the best of first-wave South Park (if the initial hand-animated Jesus vs Frosty and Spirit of Christmas are counted as zeroth)

Glebe

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2024, 08:19:39 PM

Coukd have just put 'This film gets less scary towards the end!'