Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sparks

Started by the science eel, November 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prelektric

Quote from: non capisco on July 15, 2023, 11:47:32 PMNot sure but the Primavera set is here and is song for song identical, plus the eagle eyed among you will get to see my jowly old boat nodding along at various points

Thank you mate, I can work with that - and don't worry about your jowly visage - we're all the same. If I was there with you I'd be hugging you hard.

(new page horror)

prelektric

Russel is bloody awesome. I love him.

sutin

Quote from: prelektric on July 15, 2023, 11:41:50 PMJust got back from the Glastonbury set. Utterly legendary stuff - is there a way of downloading this to keep? I've got a copy but it expires in 10 days.

I have it and can upload tomorrow.

sutin

Quote from: chip on June 30, 2023, 12:28:18 PMDoes anyone else find Moon Over Kentucky from A Woofer In Tweeter's Clothing to pre-empt basically the entire sound of Fantômas?

Edit: Maybe I'm only really thinking of The Director's Cut album. But when I first heard MOK I couldn't believe the similarities.

I've been saying this for YEARS! Mike Patton is a big Sparks fan so it's not out of the question that MOK was an influence.

It's a shame Patton wasn't in The Sparks Brothers, but he doesn't seem like the type to be a 'talking head' in a documentary, and with Roddy Bottum featuring prominently he probably didn't feel his input was required.

chip

Quote from: prelektric on July 15, 2023, 11:50:17 PMWhat on earth are you on about? Did you get the wrong thread?

No mate - the part of my post right before that, which you didn't include in the quote, was directly related to Sparks, hence being in the Sparks thread.

Quote from: sutin on July 16, 2023, 03:07:40 AMI've been saying this for YEARS! Mike Patton is a big Sparks fan so it's not out of the question that MOK was an influence.

It's a shame Patton wasn't in The Sparks Brothers, but he doesn't seem like the type to be a 'talking head' in a documentary, and with Roddy Bottum featuring prominently he probably didn't feel his input was required.

Yes, quite right! It's lovely to see just how much clear affection certain other musicians have for them. Always here for more Roddy screentime too.

prelektric

Quote from: chip on July 16, 2023, 10:27:29 AMNo mate - the part of my post right before that, which you didn't include in the quote, was directly related to Sparks, hence being in the Sparks thread.

Oh, sorry - my mistake. Apologies.

chip

prelektric

Quote from: sutin on July 16, 2023, 03:06:46 AMI have it and can upload tomorrow.

That would be awesome fella - but no rush :)

Rich Uncle Skeleton

dontpaintyourteeth

Listening to Hippopotamus their best album this century

DrGreggles

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 08, 2023, 09:14:57 PMListening to Hippopotamus their best album this century

Not sure I agree, but it's certainly a great album - and might well contain their best song this century.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

which is what, you tease?

DrGreggles

Edith Piaf for me, Clive

Can't look past Lil Beethoven and probably Suburban Homeboy as my favourite album / song of theirs this century.

Artie Fufkin

chip

I half agree because the answer is How Do I Get to Carnegie Hall?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

never felt the way others do about Suburban Homeboy, don't hate it or anything just never clicked with me.

I avoided seeing Mr B yet again when he opened for Sparks at the Albert Hall, but saw later he'd played that song during his set. Bit weird a support act playing one of the headliner's songs, wonder how often that happens, but also grateful he took one for the team and got that one out the way. ;)

Egyptian Feast

I think he was playing that when we walked in. The night could only get better from there. Even if I'd sharted mid-set/lost my keys on the way back/died.

ajsmith2

Mr B's entire set was apparently Sparks songs (ones that they didn't play in their main set). I think that's fair dos really, essentially playing the part of an appetite-whetting live pre show mixtape rather than risk 'inflicting' your originals on the audience. Humble. When I found out that was what he was doing (and the songs he chose) I regretted missing him.

Imagine the disappointment of hearing Mr B playing "Suburban Homeboy", then multiply that by the disappointment of knowing that Sparks won't be.

Goldentony

from that its at least clear he understands on some level that what Mr B is conceptually is the most insidious offensive shit imaginable and is essentially crying for some sort of new prison term to be invented for it

PlanktonSideburns

The equivalent of sun ra/death grips blasting upward shepard tones and strobe lights for hours before the gig starts

DrGreggles

Sparkstember re-listen along anyone?

Jittlebags

Aye. I've started early and got 1 and 2 in the bag last night.

Jittlebags

Just as well. Got on track again - just finishing Kimono..

Jittlebags

Indiscreet tonight. This is where they go a bit weird.

Personal favourite on this album:
The Lady is Lingering (lingering)

DrGreggles

Head Gardener

Just discovered that the lady on the right of the sleeve on Kimono My House is the the same person who booms out Japanese narrative on David Bowie's 'It's No Game' intro on Scary Monsters. The lady in question is Michi Hirota a Japanese actress.

ERADICATOR!

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 26, 2024, 07:04:44 PM

Just discovered that the lady on the right of the sleeve on Kimono My House is the the same person who booms out Japanese narrative on David Bowie's 'It's No Game' intro on Scary Monsters. The lady in question is Michi Hirota a Japanese actress.

KABOOM.

MIND.

BLOWN.