Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:08:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Homebrew thread

Started by Blue Jam, March 24, 2020, 06:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I reckon it'll be grand in 2 weeks when you open the first bottle.

Pop it in the fridge for 16-24hrs before opening and the beer will be nice and settled, and decant from the bottle into a glass. I'm sure you know that already, but just in case.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, I gave the bottles a rinse to get the beer off the bottom and where I dribbled it down the side filling them. Once they're dry I'll shove them in the cupboard with a towel on top just in case. I might have to fiddle around with the shelves in the fridge so I can get some in standing up.

I accidentally dropped two sugar drops into one of the bottles. I put it aside to wrap a bit of tape around it just so I could keep an eye out for it but I somehow mixed it in during the rinsing stage. That might be a little surprise at some point.

Blue Jam

Aw, cheers! They've got the St. Peter's kits and they are a bit cheaper, will investigate.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 04, 2020, 05:35:51 PM
Yeah, I gave the bottles a rinse to get the beer off the bottom and where I dribbled it down the side filling them. Once they're dry I'll shove them in the cupboard with a towel on top just in case. I might have to fiddle around with the shelves in the fridge so I can get some in standing up.

I accidentally dropped two sugar drops into one of the bottles. I put it aside to wrap a bit of tape around it just so I could keep an eye out for it but I somehow mixed it in during the rinsing stage. That might be a little surprise at some point.

You are neater than I am by the sounds of it. It's a 500ml bottle right? The 2 sugar drop one will be fine, just be extra fizzy. You really have to go a bit mad to make the bottles explode - quick google reckons they hold 4atm of pressure. 2 drops is probably 3atm, maybe a bit less. If you put 5 drops in there you'd be in trouble...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 04, 2020, 05:41:12 PM
You are neater than I am by the sounds of it. It's a 500ml bottle right? The 2 sugar drop one will be fine, just be extra fizzy. You really have to go a bit mad to make the bottles explode - quick google reckons they hold 4atm of pressure. 2 drops is probably 3atm, maybe a bit less. If you put 5 drops in there you'd be in trouble...

Yeah I wasn't too bothered about it exploding, more that it might just be a bit lively. I thought about decanting it into another bottle as had some spares but couldn't be arsed.

Thanks for all your tips while I've been doing this!

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 04, 2020, 05:45:01 PM
Yeah I wasn't too bothered about it exploding, more that it might just be a bit lively. I thought about decanting it into another bottle as had some spares but couldn't be arsed.

Thanks for all your tips while I've been doing this!

Yeah bottling is a bit of a chore, don't blame you for not bothering to split the bottle. One day I'll get a kegging set up. It'll be amazing, I'll be blootered all day with the absolute minimum of work.

No worries! I'm trying to post occasionally rather than "own" the thread as some kind of oracle because I'm really just a long-term piss artist, but I'm quite passionate about making things and like helping other people if I can. Glad it's useful.

Sebastian Cobb

I look forward to when the lockdown is over, my folks were supposed to be visiting anyway but he said I can have his Rotokeg. Even if I don't use it as a keg it should at least make bottling easier as I can use it for mixing the sugar into as you described upthread.

Although I'd be tempted to try using it with a sodastream bottle. I could even just shove the lot in a 2nd hand fridge and have a really half-arsed kegerator.

Blue Jam

Just placed an order with Brew2Bottle. The prices don't include VAT, sneaky... but they're still cheaper than Brewstore, and while I feel a bit bad for not supporting a local Embra business it sounds like they're being inundated with orders anyway and I'm sure they'll survive. Cheers again SC.

I also note they're in Burnley. If you're having a drink have a beer, if you're buying a car buy a Kia... and that's The Burnley Way.

Out of necessity I'm using 1 litre plastic fizzy water bottles, and if I pour 2 glasses in 'one tip' then the beer is lovely and clear, but the remaining beer is much cloudier as the sediment gets disturbed by simply tipping the bottle upright again. Apart from getting myself a massive glass so I can pour it in one go, is there anything else I can do? I transfer the brew into a second bucket before mixing in the priming sugar and gelatin, could I leave it for 24h before bottling to get rid of a bit of sediment at that stage?

Dex Sawash

Drink it with a straw siphon it to the glasses?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://thespoon.tech/rest-in-peace-picobrew/

Some bite the dust news.

Don't know much about it myself but the appliance seemed to invite a certain degree of derision from professional and experienced homebrewers alike. I thought the technical and use of the app were potential innovations and you can't knock a bit of labour saving in such a laborious process.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 05, 2020, 02:06:50 PM
https://thespoon.tech/rest-in-peace-picobrew/

Some bite the dust news.

Don't know much about it myself but the appliance seemed to invite a certain degree of derision from professional and experienced homebrewers alike. I thought the technical and use of the app were potential innovations and you can't knock a bit of labour saving in such a laborious process.

I was going to write about the PicoBrew last night!

Basically complimenting Seb's kegerator concept because he knew what he was trying to achieve, unlike a friend of mine who was really enthusiastic when helping me brew and ended up spending $2k on a PicoBrew, used it twice, then put it in a lockup somewhere. Last seen trying to sell it to me for a few hundred notes (I politely declined).

Decided all that was too esoteric (and potentially Seb would find it patronizing? Though it was meant as a compliment) so didn't bother hitting submit.

The concept of those systems is flawed in my opinion. People who want to brew and are passionate about making things want to actually make the thing. The machines also limit what you can do, but you still have to handle all the boring bits (sterilizing, measuring stuff etc). You're better off spending a fraction of that money and getting stuck in a la Seb & Jam. In my experience, you enjoy it more and it is a better gateway into brewing as a hobby.

Ferris

Quote from: Ed Sholda-Sneezuntows on May 05, 2020, 10:59:21 AM
Out of necessity I'm using 1 litre plastic fizzy water bottles, and if I pour 2 glasses in 'one tip' then the beer is lovely and clear, but the remaining beer is much cloudier as the sediment gets disturbed by simply tipping the bottle upright again. Apart from getting myself a massive glass so I can pour it in one go, is there anything else I can do? I transfer the brew into a second bucket before mixing in the priming sugar and gelatin, could I leave it for 24h before bottling to get rid of a bit of sediment at that stage?

Used to have that problem. Pour into 2 pint glasses in one smooth motion (or as close as you can get), then stick the 2nd pint in the fridge for later. Might be a bit flat depending on how long the first one takes to get down you, but nicer than cloudy beer in my opinion.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 05, 2020, 02:43:17 PM
I was going to write about the PicoBrew last night!

Basically complimenting Seb's kegerator concept because he knew what he was trying to achieve, unlike a friend of mine who was really enthusiastic when helping me brew and ended up spending $2k on a PicoBrew, used it twice, then put it in a lockup somewhere. Last seen trying to sell it to me for a few hundred notes (I politely declined).

Decided all that was too esoteric (and potentially Seb would find it patronizing? Though it was meant as a compliment) so didn't bother hitting submit.

The concept of those systems is flawed in my opinion. People who want to brew and are passionate about making things want to actually make the thing. The machines also limit what you can do, but you still have to handle all the boring bits (sterilizing, measuring stuff etc). You're better off spending a fraction of that money and getting stuck in a la Seb & Jam. In my experience, you enjoy it more and it is a better gateway into brewing as a hobby.

I'd be put off with something like a picobrew not only because it's expensive but because it's a bit like single purpose kitchen tat. Usually a pain to clean or service and you're fucked if part of it breaks.

I think if I got in to making bread I'd probably want more control over the process than a breadmaker would allow. But I can get buying one for making fresh bread and not caring about the process. It's different when it's a 2 grand machine, that would buy a lot of nice beer.

Sebastian Cobb

Someone sent me this banana bread beer recipe(?) over whatsapp. I'd be interested in giving it a bash when I'm a bit more confident. I quite like the Eagle Brewery Banana Bread Beer Morrisons sell.

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/4/14/humorous-but-foolish-a-banana-milkshake-ipa-recipe-with-which-to-fight-fascism?%E2%80%A6

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 05, 2020, 03:06:45 PM
Someone sent me this banana bread beer recipe(?) over whatsapp. I'd be interested in giving it a bash when I'm a bit more confident. I quite like the Eagle Brewery Banana Bread Beer Morrisons sell.

https://www.pelliclemag.com/home/2020/4/14/humorous-but-foolish-a-banana-milkshake-ipa-recipe-with-which-to-fight-fascism?%E2%80%A6

More banana than grist in the grain bill?! That's more like a banana wine with a grainy addition. I bet it's nice, but the lads at the BJCP would have a heart attack. No idea why they are using mosaic as the bittering hop either? I'd just use something cheap like magnum with a similar AA%, and add an extra oz of something interesting like Nelson Sauvin at flameout in addition to what they have there.

That said, looks solid, I say you go for it. Learn by doing!

touchingcloth

I have a recipe book which has instructions for "cock ale" which involves boiling a chicken and steeping it in the ale at some point during the brewing process. Apparently it's a ye olde real ying - anyone ever given it a go? Perhaps Glory Vole could be flavoured with cock and pussy willow for full lols.

Ferris

I've read about it, but I really can't see how it would work. The amount of oil would severely impede the yeast (if not kill it outright) so the risk of infection would shoot up. You're adding an animal carcass, so the infection chances were pretty high to begin with.

And all for a pint that tastes weirdly of roast chicken, plus the poor old yeast would do a shit job of fermenting the beer so the off notes of the base ale would be pronounced to say the least.

Another case of mad olden days people doing mad shit for no reason, I reckon.

Calistan

I did a bit of homebrewing a few years ago, mostly with the kits but I also did a few extract brews. Some were lovely like a single hop IPA, others middling (an interesting parsnip "stout" which everyone except me seemed to really enjoy) and then one borderline dangerous (a meadowsweet beer which gave me the worst headache of my life). The very last one I made, another IPA, didn't ferment at all and was such a dispiriting experience it put me off doing anything for two years. All the money spent on hops and all the aggro sanitising just made me give up.

Then last month I got a St Peter's pale ale kit to ease me back into things and I think it's ready to be bottled tomorrow since it'll pass the two week mark. Apparently it'll provide 32 pints. I'm a bit short of bottles - I have roughly thirty empty bottles but they're mostly the smaller ones from my Belgiuminabox order. It's a good excuse to drink a few beers tonight but looks like I might need to make use of a couple of wine bottles too.

It'll be a chore to sanitise the bottles again after so long. Someone mentioned young's sodium metabisulphate - is this tried and trusted? One of my homebrew books suggests that it might not be that effective but the book is quite old so maybe not up to date on these things. I do have a tub of it and also the VWP I used to sterilise my fermenting bucket. StarSan seems to be out of stock over here sadly.

MojoJojo

Sodium metabisulphite is the traditional homebrew steriliser. It does work, but you need quite a lot and it's not very cost effective. VWP will work.

Sebastian Cobb

That brew place I linked upthread sells a thing for making cleaning and sterilising bottles a lot easier.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/cleaning-equipment/products/bottle-rinser

£7.

I'm a little worried about my thing now because I later read that you're not supposed to bottle into screw-caps some of the ones I did definitely are. Although it seems to depend on the bottling tool. I tried mine on a spare bottle with water and it didn't leak so it'll probably be alright. I'm sure I had a few in my first attempt and they were ok.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2020, 11:08:19 AM
That brew place I linked upthread sells a thing for making cleaning and sterilising bottles a lot easier.

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/cleaning-equipment/products/bottle-rinser

£7.

They are oddly satisfying to use, a bit like Alan Partridge being mesmerised by the 'action' on a CD player tray, I stood there for slightly longer than was required, sluicing my glass (this was at a partly outdoor beer festival). The glasses were in absolutely prime condition after their plunging.

Calistan

I actually have one of them but I believe it's at my family home which is a two hour drive away. They are indeed great.

Ferris

Hot wash in the dishwasher (if available). Job done.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A beer I recently tried from Franconia was smoked without this even being advertised as a character of the beer. Not on the site, or the label, anywhere. Only 'roast malt'. So I looked into why and it seems that because a few Bamberg breweries have their own malting houses, they make some money selling the smoked malt to local brewers, who end up even using them in pils and helles beer.

Anyway, that search led me to here

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/brewing_with_smoked_malts

I thought it might inspire some of you. There are a few different ones which might suit different needs.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 12, 2020, 09:34:27 PM
A beer I recently tried from Franconia was smoked without this even being advertised as a character of the beer. Not on the site, or the label, anywhere. Only 'roast malt'. So I looked into why and it seems that because a few Bamberg breweries have their own malting houses, they make some money selling the smoked malt to local brewers, who end up even using them in pils and helles beer.

Anyway, that search led me to here

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/brewing_with_smoked_malts

I thought it might inspire some of you. There are a few different ones which might suit different needs.

That's really interesting. I've never been a big fan of rauchbiers and haven't even heard of smoked malt in a helles/pils.

There must be a way to use small amounts as an adjunct so the final product doesn't end up tasting like frazzles. Probably my palate is too unrefined to enjoy them tbh.

Appreciate the link though.

Blue Jam

Trying my hand at making a sourdough starter using flour, water, honey and raisins. After three days it is bubbling away happily and smells strongly alcoholic, as it should. Specifically, it smells like some kind of really nice rum and I kind of wish I could drink it. Is this how booze is made in prisons, and if so, does it taste any good?

Had some lovely raisin wine in Seville, is it possible to make that at home?

Ferris

Yeah, I think if you were in prison and had some rudimentary equipment (pop bottle, fruit juice, bakers yeast) you could make hooch but it would likely be shit.

The rub with wild yeast/spontaneous fermentation is that the wild yeast strain you capture might not be particularly well suited to alcohol production, eg more than 1% abv might kill it stone dead, or it might crap out loads of esthers or diacetyl which isn't ideal. Commercial brewing yeast strains have been evolved (is that the right word?) to do very specific things, which wild yeast might not.

That said, there's absolutely no reason not to find out and you have just as much chance of finding kveik 2.0 as you do of having a dud.

I've never made wine, but as far as I'm aware the process is the same as cider (fruit juice + yeast in fermenter, then bottle), just needs to age longer.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://beerandbrewing.com/amp/slow-beer-frankish-style/?__twitter_impression=true

Following on from our discussion there's some interesting stuff about the traditional practises of Franconia brewers here whuch might explain the considerable variances in their lagers.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 13, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
https://beerandbrewing.com/amp/slow-beer-frankish-style/?__twitter_impression=true

Following on from our discussion there's some interesting stuff about the traditional practises of Franconia brewers here whuch might explain the considerable variances in their lagers.

That's really interesting! I've never heard of a coolship before, but it's a fascinating concept. As the article notes, it would be excellent at removing DMS from the beer, and you're (sort of) doing a hopstand at the same time.

Decoction is one of those things I've read about but never had the energy to attempt - I've read a few different takes on it over the years so it's interesting to see such a strong defence of it here.

Thanks for posting that, if you have any other similar articles tucked away I'd like to have a look over them.