Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You cunts doing gardening at all this year (2024) or what?

Started by Buelligan, February 27, 2024, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

QuoteYou cunts doing gardening at all this year (2024) or what?

Monty Don's manners have 'disimproved greatly'.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on February 28, 2024, 03:31:57 PMHave you thought about pollination?

Also, what kind of manky crap?

Yep, been at them with a toothbrush n everything.

The fruits come in, but end up rotten on the vine or never ripen.

Have you tried any cherry tomato varieties? Those are a little more forgiving, I find. They ripen quicker and they seem immune to the blossom end rot I always seem to see when I grow the whopping great big ones.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blumf on February 28, 2024, 04:26:08 PMYep, been at them with a toothbrush n everything.

The fruits come in, but end up rotten on the vine or never ripen.

You haven't got blossom end rot, have you?

ETA  Walnuts got there before me.

king_tubby

Quote from: Buelligan on February 28, 2024, 04:36:03 PMYou haven't got blossom end rot, have you?

Bit of a personal question, that, @Buelligan

We only grow cherry toms and they go absolutely apeshit in the greenhouse. There's still pasta sauce in the freezer from last year's crop.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on February 28, 2024, 04:36:03 PMYou haven't got blossom end rot, have you?

ETA  Walnuts got there before me.

Yep, that's the problem. Think we're going to have to be extra fussy on the fertiliser.

thenoise

Quote from: king_tubby on February 28, 2024, 01:06:59 PMWe never bother with courgettes cos invariably someone will offload their surplus on to us.

Well yeah, my thinking was that even a doofus like me with crap inherited soil could get a decent crop.

Thanks for the recipe, even better if I can manage some basil this year.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blumf on February 28, 2024, 05:02:52 PMYep, that's the problem. Think we're going to have to be extra fussy on the fertiliser.

Also think about watering.  Sometimes it's not the lack of calcium or whatevs but periods of drought which make it difficult for the plant to take in stuff it needs. 

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: thenoise on February 28, 2024, 12:43:08 PMI have ordered a big bag of shit from my local Young Farmers Club. Can't wait!

Good call. Young farmers eat quite a lot of red meat and dairy products, so their manure will be extra rich.

Pink Gregory

waiting until it's not actively unpleasant to be outside but we've got a new garden!

Got a cornus to cut back, a box and euonymus to remove, a big border to cut out of a lawn, got some seeds from Realseeds - chillies, tomatoes, squash, huazontle and whatever we have left in the box.  Not sure how the chillies/tomatoes will do because no greenhouse or cold frame but it's south facing and supposedly the courtyard is a suntrap (our neighbour has some very successful blueberries in pots and an honest to god wisteria). 

Excited that this is the first time in, well, ever, we've been able to put stuff in the ground rather than endless pots.

I'm looking forward to the first full growing season at my allotment however it's by a river and half of the plot has been under water.

At the moment I've been chitting potatoes and growing peas and peppers on the windowsill. I have this grandiose plan to grow climbing flowers up this metal fence that surrounds one half of the allotment but I fear my abilities as a gardener will not mirror with the vision of a majestic flower wall.

Buelligan

Ahhh, it'll be grand.  Try to take pics if you can.  I know I don't as a normal thing but I'm tempted to try, just for this thread, this year.  Sharing plants, gardens, growing is an incredibly soul-lifting thing.  Onwards and upwards, into the spriiiingg!

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 29, 2024, 06:03:23 AMwaiting until it's not actively unpleasant to be outside but we've got a new garden!

Got a cornus to cut back, a box and euonymus to remove, a big border to cut out of a lawn, got some seeds from Realseeds - chillies, tomatoes, squash, huazontle and whatever we have left in the box.  Not sure how the chillies/tomatoes will do because no greenhouse or cold frame but it's south facing and supposedly the courtyard is a suntrap (our neighbour has some very successful blueberries in pots and an honest to god wisteria). 

Excited that this is the first time in, well, ever, we've been able to put stuff in the ground rather than endless pots.

Sounds really exciting and wonderful but... which euonymus - if europea, please, please, please, do not.  A beautiful, really beautiful, and quite rare thing - actually attempting to get some seed I collected to germinate at this moment.  If japonicus, have at it by all means. 

Dex Sawash

Is this the same spindle plant @Attila was after for her wool-bothering?

Buelligan

Yes, yes, this is my issue Euonymus europaeus.  Bloody nice bush/tree, that.  Must not be killed.

If he must kill it, at least send the corpse to Attila.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Buelligan on February 29, 2024, 08:07:31 AMAhhh, it'll be grand.  Try to take pics if you can.  I know I don't as a normal thing but I'm tempted to try, just for this thread, this year.  Sharing plants, gardens, growing is an incredibly soul-lifting thing.  Onwards and upwards, into the spriiiingg!

Sounds really exciting and wonderful but... which euonymus - if europea, please, please, please, do not.  A beautiful, really beautiful, and quite rare thing - actually attempting to get some seed I collected to germinate at this moment.  If japonicus, have at it by all means. 

nah it's japonicus, just taking up a lot of light is all

Buelligan

Kill it whenever you like, literally do not mind.  Actually, I do have real difficulty killing plants (and other things).  Sometimes get given things I actively dislike and yet, continue, against my own sense, will, judgement, dutifully watering the cunts, repotting them.  Soigning them.  And they refuse to die.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Back garden's being redone (pause for stupid innuendo here) at the moment. My plan is to let daisies and dandelions etc. grow but keep nettles and whatever climbing plant makes its way through the neighbours' fence under control.

Buelligan

Keep a few nettles if you're going wild, I'm sure you know, a lot of lovely butterflies love them.

Quickly wanted to share, today I have created a lovely new cold frame for seedlings from scavengings.  An old cat litter tray, sitting on some expanded polystyrene, covered with a section of broken perspex.  Perfect.

king_tubby

So peppers and aubergines going in this weekend, apparently a bit late but never mind.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 29, 2024, 02:43:50 PMBack garden's being redone (pause for stupid innuendo here) at the moment. My plan is to let daisies and dandelions etc. grow but keep nettles and whatever climbing plant makes its way through the neighbours' fence under control.

Might I suggest some ornamentation for your beautiful garden? Maybe start off with a 1997 Ford Fiesta propped up on bricks in one corner, a fucked washing machine in the other corner. Strategically place empty cans of Super Strongbow around the periphery to use as planters.

Buelligan

Quote from: king_tubby on February 29, 2024, 02:53:59 PMSo peppers and aubergines going in this weekend, apparently a bit late but never mind.

Just been sowing basil, coriander and rouge de Grenoble lettuce (special one) and spinach, also red and white salad onions - doing them all in modules, repeat sowings, small groups.  Will pick the leaf stuff as leaves for salads rather than growing as a whole lettuce or whatevs.  Lovely little seeds.

Wanted some labels and miraculously found some brown paper parcel tape, the sort used for baling stuff, being recycled.  Cut to length works perfectly and looks pretty too.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 29, 2024, 03:10:34 PMMight I suggest some ornamentation for your beautiful garden? Maybe start off with a 1997 Ford Fiesta propped up on bricks in one corner, a fucked washing machine in the other corner. Strategically place empty cans of Super Strongbow around the periphery to use as planters.
I do have a dead lawnmower in the shed...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

flotemysost

Quote from: Buelligan on February 27, 2024, 09:48:09 PMRattes chitting on my bedroom chair

Not content with destroying people's cars now, whatever next?

Nothing serious to add as the sum of my horticultural contribution to this earth currently stands at a brace of houseplants in various states of desiccation, but this thread is very soothing to read through.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 28, 2024, 02:05:39 PMAlready half-killed an orchid I picked up for Mrs Six on Valentine's Day, so I'm well on my way.

I'm sure I've posted before about the time I inadvertently bumped off a load of budding youthful orchids at my old workplace, and had to put up with comparisons to Myra Hindley for ages afterwards from an ardently green-fingered colleague.

Ferris

Assuming the apple tree has survived then it's year one for espalier. Also hoping my hop plants have survived but we were under 6ft+ of snow until today so who fuckin knows.

Fruit, veg, etc to follow.

Attila

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 29, 2024, 10:28:20 AMIs this the same spindle plant @Attila was after for her wool-bothering?

I think it is! I have a spindleberry now in the garden, although it produces tiny white flowers -- I wonder if I got the wrong/related species to what I'd actually like. It's pretty, tho.

Attila

Quote from: Buelligan on February 29, 2024, 02:53:20 PMKeep a few nettles if you're going wild, I'm sure you know, a lot of lovely butterflies love them.

Quickly wanted to share, today I have created a lovely new cold frame for seedlings from scavengings.  An old cat litter tray, sitting on some expanded polystyrene, covered with a section of broken perspex.  Perfect.

My latest thing is nettle-bothering (and some hedge bothering in general, always in search of very long thorns for pins). I've got a motherlode of nettles to gather come this summer -- you can harvest a very fine fibre from them that's really lovely to spin and work with.

Buelligan

Quote from: Attila on March 01, 2024, 09:42:55 AMMy latest thing is nettle-bothering (and some hedge bothering in general, always in search of very long thorns for pins). I've got a motherlode of nettles to gather come this summer -- you can harvest a very fine fibre from them that's really lovely to spin and work with.

Yes, I read about it, never seen it.  I'm sure you know, believe it was used for German Army uniforms in WW1 when they couldn't get cotton.  I'm very interested in all that.  No nettles here, sadly, too dry but we have wild flax, so can't complain.

If your flowers look like this, you're probably on the right track.  Of course it's the fruit/berries that are the real seal on the deal.

What are you using the thorn/pins for?  I'm sure you've tried blackthorn (Prunus spinosa).

thenoise

Marked out a plot and started digging up the turf, started pouring with rain almost immediately.

Attila

Quote from: Buelligan on March 01, 2024, 10:25:35 AMYes, I read about it, never seen it.  I'm sure you know, believe it was used for German Army uniforms in WW1 when they couldn't get cotton.  I'm very interested in all that.  No nettles here, sadly, too dry but we have wild flax, so can't complain.

If your flowers look like this, you're probably on the right track.  Of course it's the fruit/berries that are the real seal on the deal.

What are you using the thorn/pins for?  I'm sure you've tried blackthorn (Prunus spinosa).

Yes! That's what mine looks like. We just have the one in the garden set amongst some other flowers and shrubs, and it's quite striking.

I should use blackthorn, but I fine it a bit stubby. I'd like to find some longer thorns so that I can use them for pins (for when I do Roman and medieval heritage sites), but also get enough to make bundles to make wool carders. I know someone who has an MsC in prehistoric textiles, and envy the  heck out of her adventures with all of her workshops and hedgebothering.