Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"B*lt my hat's arse!" - AMAZING things you've only just found out

Started by touchingcloth, July 01, 2021, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

I actually never copped that Rudolph Walker from EastEnders and The Thin Blue Line starred in Love in Thy Neighbour. In my defence I've only ever since a few brief bits of the notorious sitcom.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Glebe on March 09, 2024, 06:53:27 AMI actually never copped that Rudolph Walker from EastEnders and The Thin Blue Line starred in Love in Thy Neighbour. In my defence I've only ever since a few brief bits of the notorious sitcom.

There was a LTN sequel series set and broadcast in Australia, and a feature film directed by John Robins.

Glebe

touchingcloth

The "women be shoppin'" meme originates with a standup set in The Nutty Professor (1996) (I remembered it appearing in this film, just not that it first appeared there).

The thing that belted my hat was that the standup was portrayed by a young Dave Chappelle.

Women be swappin' genders.

touchingcloth

FredNurke

Now often thought to have been Guillain-Barré syndrome instead.

George White

Murraymints are socalled cos they were made by Pascall-Murray before Cadbury bought them up.

Cadbury's Eclairs are originally Pascall's Eclairs until 1964 (Pascall also distributed the proto-Polo, Lifesavers in the UK, the US maker of which then founded ABC Radio/TV by buying NBC's Blue Network, as mentioned up).

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: George White on March 11, 2024, 01:02:10 PMMurraymints are socalled cos they were made by Pascall-Murray before Cadbury bought them up.

Cadbury's Eclairs are originally Pascall's Eclairs until 1964 (Pascall also distributed the proto-Polo, Lifesavers in the UK, the US maker of which then founded ABC Radio/TV by buying NBC's Blue Network, as mentioned up).

Originally "Pascal's Triangles".

Spoiler alert
Joking, of course. But wouldn't a range of Mathematically-based snacks be exciting?
  • Pythagoras Squares
  • Euler's Imaginary Yum-bers
  • Fermat's Last Clear Gums

Spoiler alert
You're right, it wouldn't.
[close]
[close]

touchingcloth

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 08, 2024, 11:48:40 AMGay Lord is an insult because of the name Gaylord. No one named their kid Gaylord because they heard the insult and thought "this gives me an idea..."

I didn't think that the name came about like that, of course, it's just only just struck me that the insult is probably based on the name and not some novel invention that happens to be the same.

Apparently the English name derives from the French Gaillard and Italian Gallardo, so next time a cryptobro asks "when Lambo?" I'm going to reply with "Gaylord?"

When I was at primary school, one of the kids in the year above me was nicknamed Gaylord. Had no idea at the time, and then a couple of years later thought it must be because he had a slightly effeminate manner about him and his friends had mercilessly taken the piss out of him.
Then a couple of years ago I was chatting to someone that had been in his year, who told me he got it because he was always getting things wrong in class, and Gaylord was the name of Dick Emery's character whose catchphrase was "Dad, I got it wrong again!".
So maybe it started as a nickname for thick kids, and then transformed into homophobic slang when seventies primary kids became secondary ones?

George White

Same stock footage appear in both the first ep of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased (1969 - at 9.08 -
) and McCloud - London Bridges (1977 - at 39.05 - https://youtu.be/wD1QAKN_qxw?t=2383).
Nice to see Universal and ITC sharing something.
Counts thanks to the billing of the likes of Barbara Murray and Gerald 'Kamelion' Flood on the billboards.

beanheadmcginty

If you ever find yourself in Nashville, Tennessee I highly recommend having a look round the Gaylord Opryland hotel (they let non-guests look around) it's fucking astonishing. Full indoor rainforest with waterfalls.

touchingcloth

Glebe

beanheadmcginty

"Sleepy Joe" is a pun on "Sloppy Joe".
Fucking hell turns out Trump is genuinely cleverer than me.

Paul Calf

Quote from: studpuppet on March 11, 2024, 03:26:24 PMWhen I was at primary school, one of the kids in the year above me was nicknamed Gaylord. Had no idea at the time, and then a couple of years later thought it must be because he had a slightly effeminate manner about him and his friends had mercilessly taken the piss out of him.
Then a couple of years ago I was chatting to someone that had been in his year, who told me he got it because he was always getting things wrong in class, and Gaylord was the name of Dick Emery's character whose catchphrase was "Dad, I got it wrong again!".
So maybe it started as a nickname for thick kids, and then transformed into homophobic slang when seventies primary kids became secondary ones?

There was also a Yorkshire TV children's TV programmed called 'The Woofits', which featured a character called 'Gaylord Woofit'.

They should be at The Hague for that. Or possibly knighted for services to homophobic bullying in early years schooling.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 22, 2024, 08:54:23 AMThere was also a Yorkshire TV children's TV programmed called 'The Woofits', which featured a character called 'Gaylord Woofit'.

They should be at The Hague for that. Or possibly knighted for services to homophobic bullying in early years schooling.

The ICC should have dealt with Joey Deacon as well.

studpuppet

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 22, 2024, 08:54:23 AMThere was also a Yorkshire TV children's TV programmed called 'The Woofits', which featured a character called 'Gaylord Woofit'.

They missed a trick by not double-barrelling the name and adding an 'L' to make it Woolfit-Down.

JesusAndYourBush

You just made me remember that someone nicknamed the (I think?)Chemistry teacher Woofit because someone thought he looked like one of the Woofits.

madhair60

Quote from: Glebe on March 09, 2024, 06:53:27 AMI actually never copped that Rudolph Walker from EastEnders and The Thin Blue Line starred in Love in Thy Neighbour. In my defence I've only ever since a few brief bits of the notorious sitcom.

He was in 10 Rillington Place (1971) as well.

George White

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on March 24, 2024, 05:52:53 PMHe was in 10 Rillington Place (1971) as well.
And King Ralph  as the King of Zambezi.
And in an underrated Italian dramedy about the Spaghetti House siege.

touchingcloth

Glebe

touchingcloth

The song I just heard on the radio with a lyric which said "I have a dream: my daughter-in-law kills me for my money" is by Taylor Swift.

George White

Cadbury's US arm sponsored the Charlie Brown specials in the 80s for CBS.

famethrowa

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 31, 2024, 09:52:33 AMThe song I just heard on the radio with a lyric which said "I have a dream: my daughter-in-law kills me for my money" is by Taylor Swift.

I, my, me, my... yep sounds about right. Giving Adele a run in the solipsism stakes

buttgammon

Richard Nixon's 'I am not a crook' speech took place at Disney World.

touchingcloth