Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:26:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2023

Started by dr beat, February 04, 2023, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Edinburgh Eagles v Saddleworth Rangers is on the iPlayer next Saturday (11th). I plan to attend. If you see me I will be wearing a Widnes Vikings anorak. I may also choose to wear some other clothes.

Anyway you know the drill, troops, discuss.

Old Thrashbarg

Despite the loss of Jake Connor, I'm quite excited to see what Hull can do this year. For the first time in many years we've got a proven coach who plays an open style, and we've got a young spine of talented players.

Probably out of playoff contention by August.

dr beat

Got into Edinburgh Eagles free cos I'm wearing my Widnes coat.

dr beat

Watching it back now, like Larry Sanders.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: dr beat on February 11, 2023, 01:09:50 PMGot into Edinburgh Eagles free cos I'm wearing my Widnes coat.

Did they think you were a coach/scout?

Snrub

As a Bradford fan, looking forward to the inevitable three losses to Keighley, a story three decades in the making

Gulftastic

Absolute dog shit from Leeds.

Mr Eggs

Love Rat Myler havin a shitter. The cunt.

mikeyg27

I imagine that's the only time I'm supporting St Helens this season. I thought they blew it when it went to Golden Point.

dr beat

As a neutral Saints v Leeds was massively entertaining. 

Gulftastic

As a Leeds fan, I couldn't agree more.

FUCK YEAH!!

Schrodingers Cat

Cas need to admit hiring Radford was a mistake and replace him now. We look totally void of any ideas, spark, ability to generate pressure, or any other way of winning games. Really don't know who we could beat at this point.
I said at numerous points last year that I'd rather have a balloon with a face drawn on it as head coach than Lee Radford and I stand by it. Our only hope is that Wakefield are even worse than us, but the last time we were in this situation they beat us when it counted. I see nothing in this team to suggest that anything will be any different this time around.

mikeyg27

Are Saints fans really that unaccustomed to losing? The shoulder charge non-call was bollocks but none of the other decisions were worth getting furious over.

Old Thrashbarg

And even if it had been judged to have been a shoulder charge, the penalty would still likely have been reversed for the reaction.

Snrub

I'd be cheesed off if I was a Saints fan, they did have plenty of chances to put it to bed but I don't think I'd be so annoyed I'd be letting off like a foghorn in Rohan Smith's face. Was actually quite funny how nonplussed and calm he was whilst facing some genuinely OTT reactions.

To be fair to Saints, playing two games less than two weeks after winning down under I'm surprised they aren't absolutely knackered. They'll probably paste Leeds later in the year, and were lucky to play a hilariously inept Castleford side - I would have bet the mortgage on West Bowling under 12s beating Saints last week.

I do feel for the Cas fans with Radford. I like him as a bloke but I will never understand how he stayed so long in a job at Hull. Schrodinger's Cat - you might be ok, a mate of a mate saw one of Wakey's games and said they look absolutely dogshit

Old Thrashbarg

Didn't take long for Cas to bin Radford then. Andy Last in charge temporarily, so assuming they continue to follow the path of Hull minus 3 years, Brett Hodgson will take over full time by next season.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 06, 2023, 09:18:30 AMDidn't take long for Cas to bin Radford then. Andy Last in charge temporarily, so assuming they continue to follow the path of Hull minus 3 years, Brett Hodgson will take over full time by next season.

I don't think anyone can realistically argue with the decision, but surprised to see it happen so quickly.
Saving the season now depends on who we can get in to replace him and if there is any budget left to bring in any players. We've ended up with, by my reckoning, probably the worst backline in the league and a fairly slow, but not very big either, pack. Plus most of our recent signings have been poor, but on long contracts, so will be very tough to move on. Wonder if Wakefield would take Miller back so we can free up some cap space? Then convince Widdop to retire early and we might be able to get some players in.

...far more likely though, is we give the job to Andy Last and Scott Murrell, and persist with the same squad. And unfortunately the last 2 times we've been in a relegation battle with Wakefield we lost both times. Turbulent times ahead whatever happens I think.

Gulftastic

I wonder who Saints' fans will blame this week?

Mr Eggs

Buy Paul Vaughan and then everything is alright forever.

Gulftastic

First half, as you were Leeds
Second half, LET'S HAVE IT!

Rather enjoyed that.

Snrub

Quote from: Snrub on February 11, 2023, 11:10:04 PMAs a Bradford fan, looking forward to the inevitable three losses to Keighley, a story three decades in the making

One down, two to go.

dr beat

Both LUFC and Rhinos at home on Easter Sunday? West Yorks plod must be coining it.

dr beat

Helen Skelton has got her voodoo doll out again. 

Seriously, Myler just about got his arm out of the way, otherwise it could have been red.

Gulftastic

Opening 15 minutes aside, that was a cracking performance. I wish we could cure Martin's kicking yips.

dr beat

Watched Wigan v Wire last night.  Scrappy game but Wigan much the better team, their defensive line speed meant Wire never settled.  Wigan's 2nd try looked offside to me although the grounding was ok.  That Wire no-try at the end was the correct call although would have been interesting if the on-field call would had been for a try.

Gulftastic

I love when Sky build up a team to ridiculous heights only to have them come up short. They need to be careful. They've been burned by Warrington before.

dr beat

Speaking as a Widnes fan it never tires ;)

Btw what's with Wakey?

Mr Eggs

Powell need to spend even more of Simon Moran's money on NRL talent RIGHT NOW.

dr beat

Saints on top here, Warrington didn't make enough of their field position in 1st half.

Mr Eggs