Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ahsoka (star wars cartoon live action spinoff)

Started by Dex Sawash, July 12, 2023, 03:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Rosario Dawson is good in this but it isn't good. Noticed in the D+ app there's a link to Ahsoka merch.
Adult Ahsoka costumes sold out in sizes XL and XXL :(

Mr Trumpet

Is this better or worse than The Mandalorian, or about the same? Assuming it doesn't hold a candle to Andor.

Alberon

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on August 30, 2023, 11:29:57 AMIs this better or worse than The Mandalorian, or about the same? Assuming it doesn't hold a candle to Andor.

Seems to have an ongoing story which is more than can be said of the last season of The Mandalorian, but seems to be filmed in tedious slow motion.

It's far below Andor's quality, but then again, what isn't?

Dex Sawash

I think it assumes you know these characters from having watched Rebels and/or Clone wars. Curious what non-losers who haven't watched those think about it. e3 had a training scene that was ok.

Not sure why e2 ended with
Spoiler alert
Sabine getting stabbed by Crazy-Eyes Ghost Face Killa in cliffhanger only to be Ok
[close]
in first scene of e3.

Pranet

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 30, 2023, 01:34:41 PMI think it assumes you know these characters from having watched Rebels and/or Clone wars. Curious what non-losers who haven't watched those think about it.

I am one of those people. It's fine. I do go to youtube and type in "Ahsoka easter eggs" (or Mandalorian if its that) afterwards and it fills me in with all I feel like I need to know. I also listen to a podcast about it. So not entirely sure I'm that much of a non-loser.

I have thought about watching Rebels and Clone Wars but there is a shit load of the stuff and I can't be bothered.

Butchers Blind

So it's another of those shows that wants you to do homework in order to fully appreciate?

Pranet

I don't think it expects you to have seen all of Rebels, and I wasn't particularly confused by it. I guess if you have seen Rebels you get more from it.

I'm not saying I like it yet- I've only seen the first two episodes, and enjoyed them well enough but they didn't make me delirious with joy. Just saying not watching Rebels didn't seem to matter that much to me.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 25, 2023, 10:27:28 AMEpisode 2 was marginally better, maybe. Chopper is best bin droid in SWU and has made the live action transition well. Darth Titus Pullo's apprentice/sidekick is terrible.
I think she's cool and I like how mad she looks

Mr_Simnock

so is the space zebra now dead? or just injured and having a bit of a spritiual jedi moment?

Dex Sawash

Haven't done my homework yet. Tonight, promise.

Jim_MacLaine

Sabine is fucking useless isn't she.

Spoiler alert
She's lost the space map twice now.
[close]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on September 07, 2023, 05:09:49 PMso is the space zebra now dead? or just injured and having a bit of a spritiual jedi moment?

There was some mind palace place like that in Rebels where she met up with Darth Maul and he did a "we're not so different" speech. Would rather he had been there instead of what we got.

Mr Trumpet

I've just watched episode 2 and it's pretty poor so far. Lots of "why didn't they just...?" moments*, weird stilted pauses after every line of dialogue, and sagacious observations that don't make any sense**.

I've never seen Ray Stevenson in anything before though and I can see why people liked him - channels a bit of Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn here, but with more menace. He's the saving grace at this point.

* Like in the very first scene of episode one, why did they let these suspicious characters claiming to be Jedi (famously deadly close quarters fighters) come aboard the highly secure prison ship? Why not just tell them to bugger off, or tractor beam them or something?

** We just had a scene where a guy fanatically shouts "for the empire!" before launching a reckless attack on a couple of armed and dangerous people... cue a couple of scenes later, where Ahsoka observes "these people aren't loyal to the empire, they're just greedy". Erm, are you sure?

Pranet

I'm enjoying it. I think I'm just undemanding when it comes to Star Wars on tv, I've enjoyed, to a certain extent at least, all of the Star Wars tv series.

madhair60

have to agree that this has been poor, and I really did love Clone Wars/Rebels/Mando/Boba so you can't call me especially choosy. That said I have only seen the first three, maybe it becomes amazing in ep 4.

Dex Sawash

Star Cunts need to stop falling into shadow and leaving stupid maps behind.

Rewatched final ep of Rebels last night to re-see what happened to Ezra and Thrawn. Ezra had orchestrated a hyperspace jump to oblivion

Spoiler alert
towed by extra-light speed capable intergalactic sod harlequins angry space squid while inside a disabled star destroyer
[close]
sacrificing himself to exile thrawn from the galaxy.  Probably off having a nice time camping, hiking and that.

Mister Six

Didn't care either way about this show's existence, but the thread has reminded me that Ray Stevenson died in May and that made me sad, so it can fuck right off.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Mister Six on September 10, 2023, 04:02:30 PMDidn't care either way about this show's existence, but the thread has reminded me that Ray Stevenson died in May and that made me sad, so it can fuck right off.

Fucker is a pure sex beast menace in this too.

Dex Sawash

New episode was dull and featured the return of the

Spoiler alert
intergalactic space squid
[close]

You know, for kids.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I'm trying to enjoy this, but it feels like a slow motion moving of chess pieces to get Thrawn in place as the big bad so The Mandalorian can have a proper ending.

It's like the worst excesses of the MCU but somehow even duller and less consequential.

mjwilson

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 18, 2023, 03:37:13 PMI'm trying to enjoy this, but it feels like a slow motion moving of chess pieces to get Thrawn in place as the big bad so The Mandalorian can have a proper ending.

Currently dreading the thought that Thrawn will only be in the last 30 seconds of the season.

Dex Sawash

Rewatched E5 in case Lego Annakin bits would make more sense. They didn't.

Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Mr Trumpet

It's alright. I felt like they were reaching for a message with the mindscape stuff in episode 5(?) but it didn't quite land for me. Good fight scenes though. Maybe I need to watch the cartoons or something.

Ray Stevenson remains the highlight. Genevieve O'Reilly is predictably underused and underwritten following her brilliant turn in Andor.

Alberon

It's still so slow. Two episodes left and Ahsoka hasn't even arrived yet.

Thrawn is a major figure in the Star Wars spin-off media, of course, so this is going to end up just a prequel to the next part of the Mandalorian universe. He will inevitably survive and return to the main Star Wars galaxy.

The next installments really need to up their game. This and the last Mandalorian series have sagged.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on September 22, 2023, 08:49:21 AMGenevieve O'Reilly is predictably underused and underwritten following her brilliant turn in Andor.

I can understand them downplaying Mon Mothma somewhat due to the potential confusion from having her appear pre-Yavin and post-Endor. Would seeing a more complacent and arrogant Mon in the Mandoverse* undermine any sympathy we have with the rebel Mon in the Andorverse** where she's a more central character? Will people just not understand that both stories aren't running concurrently?

Anyway, I rather enjoyed Episode 5. It's still running at a snail's pace, but there's some great imagery going on that wasn't just fan service. Gold-face stormtrooper lad was fuckin mental. The little crab/turtle lads in their little outfits under their shells were absolutely lovely and I can't imagine why Ezra would ever want to leave them and his nomad life to go back to all of the shit back home.

Actually, no, he's a young bloke, he needs to get his end away, doesn't he? I bet he's been seeing those lingering shots of Mary Elizabeth Winstead walking away from the camera in those yellow leather trousers through the Force and he's absolutely gagging.

* I deserve graving for this
** 'kinell, mate

Mr Trumpet

That Ezra lad looks like flipping Jesus, don't know what's going on there