Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft names for British characters in US things

Started by George White, September 01, 2023, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Reminded by something David Warner said in an interview for Starlog where he talked of the silly names Americans oftencgave British characters, eg his example was Florian Knight in Irving Wallace's The Word.

Alan Cornwall in Frasier
Oliver Trumbull, Mrs DexterHundley and Edward St Cloud in Murder, She Wrote
Archibald Hollings in Hunters

Cold Meat Platter

George White

Ah, Christopher Hewtt also had a wonderful one in Murder, She Wrote - Humphrey Defoe, a country solicitor.

Would  Roger Debris count...

touchingcloth

Midas

Tikwid

His Royal Excellence Lord Edgar Darby Covington, 14th Earl of Cornwall-Upon-Thames, 29th Baron of Hertfordshire

Video Game Fan 2000

Ronnie Pudding in Spinal Tap. Actually all the "British" names in Spinal Tap were pretty good.

Dr Rock

George White

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on September 02, 2023, 08:47:11 AMRonnie Pudding in Spinal Tap. Actually all the "British" names in Spinal Tap were pretty good.
David St Hubbins is the most ludicrous, but that's a parody of Derek St Holmes (an American, no less).

Pranet

Quote from: George White on September 01, 2023, 09:02:44 PMReminded by something David Warner said in an interview for Starlog where he talked of the silly names Americans oftencgave British characters, eg his example was Florian Knight in Irving Wallace's The Word.

I'm now imaging a world where this cunt is interviewed in Star log.

Quote from: George White on September 02, 2023, 09:35:21 AMDavid St Hubbins is the most ludicrous, but that's a parody of Derek St Holmes (an American, no less).
Ah, I didn't know that. I just assumed they'd chosen names that would sound typically - or exaggeratedly - British to American ears: Nigel Tufnell, Derek Smalls, Denny Upham, Dicky Laine, Mick Shrimpton, etc.

Midas

Wesley Wyndam-Pryce in Duffy the Dogmuck Slinger

Rolf Lundgren

Gervais' character in Ghost Town is Bertram Pincus. I mean, you'd say something wouldn't you?

As mentioned Frasier is guilty of so many of these crimes, the one that stands out is sporting goods store owner Clive Roddy. Although his name is the least of his worries.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on September 02, 2023, 10:01:16 AMAh, I didn't know that. I just assumed they'd chosen names that would sound typically - or exaggeratedly - British to American ears: Nigel Tufnell

Nigel Tufnell was a play on the Eric Clapton of a dorky first/boring bit of London sort of thing.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Midas on September 02, 2023, 10:11:30 AMWesley Wyndam-Pryce in Duffy the Dogmuck Slinger
The Duffy universe has quite a few. Rupert "Giles" Giles, Spike's real name was William Pratt. Darla was never an English name (seems to be a variant of Darlene). Ethan Rayne's quite a cool name, but again, more US/Aussie than English.

superthunderstingcar

The West Wing had the British ambassador called Lord John Marbury, Marquess of Needham and Dolby and Earl of Croy.

Oh, The West Wing, you are really spoiling us.

Sebastian Cobb

In Tango and Cash there's a cockney called Requin Courier.

But that's nothing on the accent itself.

Apparently Bryon James only had a small small part and adopted the accent to stand out, which Stallone noticed and ended up giving him a much bigger part. According to IMDB.

Dex Sawash

George White

Murder She Wrote - Geoffrey Constable, Viscount Blackraven (Richard Johnson) and the Reverend Twilley, Julian Fontaine (Trevor Eve), Archie Potter PI/Archie Weems, Daisy Collins, Mickey Dawks (a Cockney debt collector played by Derrick O'Connor), Penelope Cadwell (Sharon Mughan), Dr. Blandings (as in Wodehouse), Lord Lawson Childress and Wade Foster (both Ian Ogilvy), Cecil and Nellie Ruddy (Martin Jarvis and Carolyn Seymour), Errol Pogson (David Hemmings), Insp. Roger Crimmins (barrie Ingham), Glenda Highsmith (Jean Marsh), Harry Waverly (John Rhys Davies), Insp. Ernest Martindale...

The Aussie names were even more ludicrous - Melba and Roo Drummond.

idunnosomename

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on September 02, 2023, 10:59:07 AMThe West Wing had the British ambassador called Lord John Marbury, Marquess of Needham and Dolby and Earl of Croy.

Oh, The West Wing, you are really spoiling us.
it's silly too because he is called "Lord Marbury" when if you're calling him Lord anything he should be Lord Needham. They have got confused because very often your surname is the same as what you're the biggest lord of

Fabian Thomsett

Eric Idle played Ian Maxtone-Graham in the Brooke Shields sitcom Suddenly Susan.

George White

Named after an American Simpsons writer.
Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on September 02, 2023, 11:40:47 AMEric Idle played Ian Maxtone-Graham in the Brooke Shields sitcom Suddenly Susan.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on September 02, 2023, 11:40:47 AMEric Idle played Ian Maxtone-Graham in the Brooke Shields sitcom Suddenly Susan.
bizzarely thats the same name as a real american

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Maxtone-Graham

Possibly most famous for inspiring the very tall man in the small car from 22 Short Films About Springfield

Edit whatever still posting extra info. The wiki for Suddenly Susan claims "no connection" but surely there is? He was known as an SNL writer etc by the late 90s

Fabian Thomsett

Ah well. Looks like his parents wanted to give him a daft British name for some reason.

Mister Six