Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forteana on telly

Started by George White, September 02, 2023, 02:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Obviously, Fortean TV, the Nationwide Enfield haunting episode, but was reminded of this topic by this parish's very own Stuart Millard's feature on James Whale.

Is the North full of camp white-haired men who claim to talk to the dead?

studpuppet

Quote from: George White on September 02, 2023, 02:15:50 PMIs the North full of camp white-haired men who claim to talk to the dead?

Twonty Gostelow

Hugh Burnett produced a handful of documentaries in the 1970s that have stood the test of time.

One was about UFOs - 'Out of This World' - which ufologists hated because they thought they were made to look foolish.

This bit is genuine, even though it resembles a Pete and Dud sketch  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEOoXzKQmo

Twonty Gostelow

Another one of Burnett's docs was about Borley Rectory, 'The Ghost Hunters'.

The part where they play the tape recordings made inside the church is effectively spooky, and supposedly real, although not convincingly supernatural in the sober light of day  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTC27PuJ8U&t=2488s 

surreal

You can get to see BBC2's Weird Night on YouTube now - I remember uploading my VHS copy of this to UKN*va (RIP The Other Place) back in the day.

Sebastian Cobb

Didn't there used to be some ropey ones on terrestrial in the 90's about Area 51  and that, all tropey whistleblowers in silhouette with their voice disguised through a pitch shifter.

I miss crap like that sometimes. Mad how the 90's 'maybe our governments don't have our best interests at heart' paranoia just got murdered post 9/11

Glebe

George White

Quote from: surreal on September 02, 2023, 08:06:26 PMYou can get to see BBC2's Weird Night on YouTube now - I remember uploading my VHS copy of this to UKN*va (RIP The Other Place) back in the day.

That baby thing looks like John Boyne.

JesusAndYourBush

I used to enjoy it as a subject, there was a time when you maybe got one well researched documentary a year.  Now I avoid it like the plague because tv stations are obligated to make multiple series with many episodes and to do that reqires so much barrel scraping and tinfoil hattery that the subject has been ruined.

George White

Yes, it's all sensationalist shit, and you don't get the characters like you would on Mysterious World.

I remember my parents setting the VHS to record the TV series of the Fortean Times. Very influential.

My recent attempts to address this included getting heavily involved with Limnal.earth
 during lockdown, which seemed to be one of the last bastions of non-Q-Anon aligned jolly wierdos who like hearing stories in a non-judgemental anti-fascist way.