Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boiling Point but its a TV show not a film

Started by Misspent Boners, October 02, 2023, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The series (presumably following on narratively from the tremendous film) is now available on iPlayer.

Probably one of the most impactful and enjoyable films I've seen in recent times; huge fan of the one-take style and the immense feeling of realness and immediacy they've captured. I loved how the camera would segueway off from one character to another, so you'd get a pinch of the lives of everyone in the restaurant from kitchen porter to FoH to manager etc. And Stephen Graham is of course always amazing

It'll be interesting to see the fallout that films ending caused (think that's ambiguous enough to not need spoilers) and also if a whole series shot like that can maintain its quality and intensity, I can't lie I did feel a bit dubious when I heard a series was in the works

I've been wondering about this (plus The Bear, plus a film called 'Surge' (starring Ben Whishaw)): all films / shows designed to show stress and escalating chaos in real time. But, is that the only selling point?

I haven't seen Boiling Point (the film), but am worried it's just going to be a barrage of cortisol and stress. That's the last thing I want in my life. I hope it's not going to birth a new genre. Homes Under the Hammer gets a revamp, with people yelling violent threats at agents, and lobbing wainscoting at the sound guy.

cromby

Watched this in one go last night. Really enjoyed it, but definitely a stressful watch, and I'm not sure I'd recommend doing it in one sitting (I was just bored and had nothing on).

Guessing they're banking on a second series as, aside from
Spoiler alert
losing the fucking restaurant
[close]
, there were quite a lot of plot threads just left hanging. It wasn't a hugely satisfying conclusion, but then it's more slice-of-life than even your Happy Valleys and all that, isn't it, so I guess the narrative is a lot less exposition-conflict-resolution.

neveragain

Ha, I also binged it all last night. Quite exhausting!

gotmilk

I liked the first half of the film, but thought it took a turn towards contrived suspense and melodrama as it went along. Does the series dial it back at all?

dr beat

I'm a big fan of the film, and I really enjoyed the first ep which I've just watched, but I'm ready for a break before I watch the next one.

centristmelt

Do I need to watch the film before the TV series?

Obel

I'm only 2 eps (of 4) but I would say it pretty much can be watched without the film, it does enough to give you an idea of what happens in the film. Easily done considering the film covers only 90 minutes of actual real time action. The film is great though and is well worth watching.

Capt.Midnight

Enjoying this so far (up to Ep2) - I think it loses something trying to conform to a series narrative and character development. I think they should have kept it to the 'one-shot' style, with the camera following the action all the time.

niat

Quote from: centristmelt on October 04, 2023, 03:56:36 PMDo I need to watch the film before the TV series?

The short film is on iPlayer and allows you to catch up in just 22 minutes.

I've still not got round to watching it yet! I put the first episode on the night I made the thread but just wasn't in the mood after work sort of thing. From the 5 mins I saw it appeared to still be in the one take style; but from what others are saying the whole series isn't then?

Quote from: dr beat on October 03, 2023, 10:51:59 PMI'm a big fan of the film, and I really enjoyed the first ep which I've just watched, but I'm ready for a break before I watch the next one.

Everyone's got that predilection for binge watching now haven't they, but I find I physically can't do more than 2 or 3 episodes at once before it's detrimental to my experience and I just can't focus. So nothing wrong with watching it more sporadically

Obel

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 05, 2023, 02:32:24 PMI've still not got round to watching it yet! I put the first episode on the night I made the thread but just wasn't in the mood after work sort of thing. From the 5 mins I saw it appeared to still be in the one take style; but from what others are saying the whole series isn't then?

No, that was just for the opening scene. It switches to a standard editing style. Doesn't lose anything I think, though. The show would be basically impossible to do in the one take style, as the scope goes beyond just the one physical space.

gilbertharding

Quote from: niat on October 04, 2023, 11:42:49 PMThe short film is on iPlayer and allows you to catch up in just 22 minutes.

The full length film was on Channel 4 last Saturday, so it's probably on the Channel 4 player (whatever it's called now) for a bit too.

dr beat

Watched the 2nd episode last night and wasn't as keen, sadly.  Wasn't ready for it to be such a downer, but there was too much drama packed in.  Moreover, what riled me was

Spoiler alert
Them celebrating the maitre d's birthday straight after dealing with one of their colleagues attempted suicide, and not knowing how he was
[close]

Blue Jam

^^^ agree with all that, I just found the second episode upsetting. The Legend Gary Keith Allen-type and his influencer girlfriend were upsetting enough even before the
Spoiler alert
suicide attempt
[close]

It was so unsubtle as well:

Spoiler alert
The suicide attempt was practically signposted when the young lad was getting changed and we saw all the big knife scars on his legs. As for the guy doing first aid on him, of course his unconventional culinary background was going to be the Army, and of course the bullying Scouse guy was going to suddenly develop a new-found respect for him.
[close]

The film worked partly because there was enough levity, and partly because it was pretty low-stakes. Those elements are notable by their absence in the series.

I put The Bear on afterwards. Sure, that one also deals with the theme of
Spoiler alert
suicide
[close]
but it still manages to be more of a comedy. They could raise the stakes by focusing more on things like gang involvement, Carmen heading for a breakdown in New York etc, but they keep it light.

Was Boiling Point commissioned as a series to capitalise on the success of The Bear? It feels like it, but also like they've got the idea fundamentally wrong.

gilbertharding

A bit like the remarkable rate of murder in the environs of Midsomer, has no-one commented on this restaurant which must have the ambulance service on speed-dial? Obviously, this isn't as problematic in an ITV Sunday Night staple as it is in something that seemed to trade on its verisimilitude.

gilbertharding

I presume no-one else bothered to watch all of these then (or maybe you watched them all in one go three weeks ago...).

I only watched it because Mrs Harding wanted to for some reason. I didn't like it one bit. No sir.

mjwilson

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 06, 2023, 02:40:58 PMThe full length film was on Channel 4 last Saturday, so it's probably on the Channel 4 player (whatever it's called now)

It seems to be just called Channel 4.