Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Loki season 2

Started by madhair60, October 08, 2023, 12:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

this is back to present more Content. I liked parts of season 1 so i'm giving it a look. anyone else bothering their arse?

Toki

I'll give it a go, I enjoyed the first one mostly. People were saying the finale of 1 was like the power point presentation finale to series 12 of Dr Who, and they're not wrong but I was slightly more... I guess invested is the word (can you be invested while not caring? Maybe the phrase I'm looking for is 'borderline interested') ...in the characters in Loki, so didn't feel as much of a waste to me. I got off the Marvel train a fair while ago, but occasionally dip back in, especially with access to my brother's Disney plus account. Haven't seen any trailers for this, but think I more or less know what to expect. Prepared to eat my words if it's mind blowing.

Glebe

I've two episodes of Secret Invasion left.

Toki

Oh great, first episode is named after a classic episode of Red Dwarf, fantastic!

superthunderstingcar

Queeg? Polymorph? Meltdown Camille?

Toki

Ouroborous! Expecting the last one to be called Pete Part 2!

dissolute ocelot

Bugger, are they putting this up weekly? I'm going to have cancelled my Disney+ subscription by the time it finishes. I didn't quite get the adulation for series one, but it certainly had some impressive bits as well as longueurs. So I'm a little sad, but not enough to pay for a subscription. (Ourobouros is a very obvious title for anything involving timey-wimey shit, although at least Red Dwarf didn't do that every week.)

phantom_power

I have been pretty bored by the last few Marvel shows but the involvement of Moorhead and Benson has got me a bit enthused about this. Episode 1 was good fun. Didn't really go anywhere but did it with good humour and a light touch. Bonus Ke Huy Quan points as well

C_Larence

Yeah I enjoyed that. Do you think they deliberately called it the Temporal Loom just so they could get Ke Huy Quan to say it repeatedly?

Schnapple

Was on the South Bank in London yesterday and witnessed a huge queue to get into some sort of Loki Season 2 promotional popup event, inexplicably forming next to another queue of people waiting to see noted hater of comic book movies and auteur Martin Scorsese at Royal Festival Hall. Talk about a temporal loom!

Will not watch this, but was struck by the all-encompassing diversity of Marvel stans waiting in the former.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on October 08, 2023, 03:25:34 PMI have been pretty bored by the last few Marvel shows but the involvement of Moorhead and Benson has got me a bit enthused about this.

Apart from Wandavision this is the only show I've watched all of, and I didn't bother with the Nick Fury one as reviews were so negative.

QuoteEpisode 1 was good fun. Didn't really go anywhere but did it with good humour and a light touch.

I'd sort of agree with that, I guess I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the fact that it didn't really go anywhere annoyed me a lot and I'm fed up of feeling that way about so many tv shows.

Toki

Only made it halfway through episode 1, I got bored during the first judge scene and bailed to watch the Joe Pera special. I'll try to get back to it sometime. It seemed to be going the straight-faced humourless route so far, so I'm glad to hear the second half has less of that, encouraging.

phantom_power

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 09, 2023, 09:17:13 PMApart from Wandavision this is the only show I've watched all of, and I didn't bother with the Nick Fury one as reviews were so negative.

I'd sort of agree with that, I guess I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but the fact that it didn't really go anywhere annoyed me a lot and I'm fed up of feeling that way about so many tv shows.

I think it was just a table-setter, reminding everyone of where we are after last season, which was a while, and several other shows, ago. Hopefully there will be more happening from now on, as there was in Season 1

Lots of these Marvel shows have to be exercises in wheel-spinning, or at least returning to a status quo not that different from the start, because the characters and situations can't be too advanced from where they were in the last films (for people who don't watch the shows). Loki is a bit different as it exists in its own little dimension with Loki dead in the "real" MCU. Hopefully that will give the writers freedom to do a bit more

C_Larence

Didn't enjoy episode 3 at all, Jonathan Majors' performance might be the worst I've seen in a long time. Absolutely baffling.

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on October 23, 2023, 07:44:08 PMDidn't enjoy episode 3 at all, Jonathan Majors' performance might be the worst I've seen in a long time. Absolutely baffling.

Caught bits of that episode whilst making a cuppa and, as someone with a mild stammer, I can appreciate a non-comical stammer in media.

C_Larence

Quote from: bgmnts on October 23, 2023, 08:49:32 PMCaught bits of that episode whilst making a cuppa and, as someone with a mild stammer, I can appreciate a non-comical stammer in media.

Do youalsotalk...VERY...loudlyat...random points OFYOURSENTENCES?

Chairman Yang

It's quite funny watching this and refusing to watch any of the new movies so for me the arc villain is just a kind of soft nerd.

bgmnts

Quote from: C_Larence on October 23, 2023, 09:00:29 PMDo youalsotalk...VERY...loudlyat...random points OFYOURSENTENCES?

Highly possible!

Famous Mortimer

I wonder if they're going to pull a "whoops, some time nonsense has meant that Kang is now played by a different actor" who hopefully hasn't beaten any women up recently?

dissolute ocelot

I'm quite enjoying this purely on a superficial level: looks nice, pretty people, occasional joke, and lots of running around. But it seems to be completely failing when it comes to having a plot that's involving or makes sense: "gotta do something to stop the end of the universe", uh yeah sure, and really not bothered whether Loki gets it together with his other half; it all feels very low-stakes and an exercise in pastiche.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: C_Larence on October 23, 2023, 09:00:29 PMDo youalsotalk...VERY...loudlyat...random points OFYOURSENTENCES?

He has the stammer down very well indeed, I used to stammer a lot and sometimes you end up eventually blurting out words you struggle with like that.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 26, 2023, 10:25:43 AMI'm quite enjoying this purely on a superficial level: looks nice, pretty people, occasional joke, and lots of running around. But it seems to be completely failing when it comes to having a plot that's involving or makes sense: "gotta do something to stop the end of the universe", uh yeah sure, and really not bothered whether Loki gets it together with his other half; it all feels very low-stakes and an exercise in pastiche.
I feel similar. My main problem is in the title: He's Loki, God of Mischief, so where is all the mischief? Shirley this should be a show about him gleefully throwing a spanner in the works, pulling in crazy variants from across time and always keeping one step ahead of the TVA. Instead he's solemnly doing what The Man tells him to. I'm aware that I'm reviewing the show I want, rather than the one we have - and I suppose it could be viewed as character development - but it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 26, 2023, 02:48:00 PMI feel similar. My main problem is in the title: He's Loki, God of Mischief, so where is all the mischief? Shirley this should be a show about him gleefully throwing a spanner in the works, pulling in crazy variants from across time and always keeping one step ahead of the TVA. Instead he's solemnly doing what The Man tells him to. I'm aware that I'm reviewing the show I want, rather than the one we have - and I suppose it could be viewed as character development - but it seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I've found myself thinking that, I've read Jason Aaron's Thor run in the past year or so and what I really liked about it was that Loki is an absolute shit. He might sometimes do something good, but the way he goes about it still causes a fuckton of chaos, and he was a character it was fun to hate. But Hiddleston's Loki seems way too heroic for my liking, and given the hundreds (thousands?) of Marvel characters who are morally unambiguous it seems weird to turn Loki in to one of them as well.

Famous Mortimer

I mean, he's a bad 'un but he probably doesn't want the entirety of existence to end.

phantom_power

Something that I realised (i.e. read) the other day is that all this is only taking place a short time after Loki tried to take over the world in The Avengers, from his perspective.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 25, 2023, 08:00:35 PMI wonder if they're going to pull a "whoops, some time nonsense has meant that Kang is now played by a different actor" who hopefully hasn't beaten any women up recently?

They have had that get-out since Sylvie was shown to be a Loki variant

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They don't actually need that get out. Just ask Edward Norton or Terence Howard. If Majors is indeed an abuser, I feel it would be giving him too much respect to make up some canonical reason that Kang looks different.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 31, 2023, 05:37:44 PMI mean, he's a bad 'un but he probably doesn't want the entirety of existence to end.
Yes, but he should be scheming to take over or something. If it gets to the end and it turns out he's been playing everyone for fools all along, I'll be impressed, but I don't feel like that's where it's heading.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phantom_power on October 10, 2023, 07:49:43 AMLoki is a bit different as it exists in its own little dimension with Loki dead in the "real" MCU. Hopefully that will give the writers freedom to do a bit more
Though "this" Loki (with Mobius) appeared in a post-credits scene in the last Ant-Man film.

As for the lack of him being a bit of a shite - well, he did get to see that his ways led to the "prime" version of himself wound up having his neck snapped by Thanos, which perhaps gave him some pause for thought about his life choices.

madhair60

C_Larence

Watched episode 5 and 6 tonight. 5 was ok,  very much treading water. Has there ever been a non cringeworthy onscreen portrayal of someone having an emotional moment while listening to a song? Absolutely despise that "trope".

On the other hand I really enjoyed episode 6. Has there ever been a bad onscreen portrayal of a character experiencing a time loop? Absolutely love that "trope". The first half of the episode was full of vim and vigour, and even though it lead up to a slightly ridiculous (and mostly predictable) climax I still think it's the best MCU has had to offer in a good while.

Head Gardener