Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:27:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Reckoning

Started by bobloblaw, October 09, 2023, 11:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Quote from: mr. logic on October 11, 2023, 02:32:38 AMThe Journalist is Dan Davies, who wrote In Plain Sight. The book is given a credit as source material in the credits. Seen it mentioned before in Savile threads and it really is an astonishing read.

That makes greater sense, mr.logic, thank you

popcorn

Had a quick skim through the first ep but not watched any of it. It immediately struck me as the most overwhelmingly orange-and-teal thing I've seen since about 2013. It looked ridiculous.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There's a bit in ep 2 where choirmaster(?) enters Jimbo's van and spots a bottle of surgical spirit. What was he using that for?

George White

Quote from: Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead on October 11, 2023, 01:29:20 AMI want new episodes of Early Doors, I'm just not sure this was the best vehicle.

Was the journalist a cypher for Louis Theroux?

Enjoyed it isn't exactly the phrase I'd use but it is an excellent piece of work. I do think it may have worked better as a film (CBC are doing a longer TV version of BlackBerry).

And love
Quote from: Head Gardener on October 10, 2023, 10:22:47 PM

https://keepinthesummeralive.tumblr.com/post/58619378754/as-the-story-goes-the-beach-boys-played-at-the
ly purposeful easter egg nuggets of Alan in there too, or the line between Coogan and Partridge are blurring hard.

I'm not surprised, considering that Dennis Wilson was big mates briefly with Manson.

Jockice

Quote from: mr. logic on October 11, 2023, 02:32:38 AMThe Journalist is Dan Davies, who wrote In Plain Sight. The book is given a credit as source material in the credits. Seen it mentioned before in Savile threads and it really is an astonishing read.

£4.99 on Kindle. Thanks for that.

Noodle Lizard

I'm firmly in the camp of "this didn't really need to be dramatised, did it?" I can't think of any justifications that aren't self-serving for the BBC and Coogan (for different reasons). I think I remember Coogan saying something about it helping the victims move on, giving them closure, which is so disingenuous I'd almost rather he'd just said "it's a good role".

Moreover, I didn't think it was particularly well-written or made. Far too many jarring moments or bits of dialogue which remind you you're watching a fictionalised account of things. Nah.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 11, 2023, 04:26:38 AMThere's a bit in ep 2 where choirmaster(?) enters Jimbo's van and spots a bottle of surgical spirit. What was he using that for?

I think it was the box of rubber johnnies we were supposed to be looking at.

I thought it was generally very good, got no problems with drama being made about the likes of Savile and I think some of the points made here are valid

jobotic

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 11, 2023, 04:26:38 AMThere's a bit in ep 2 where choirmaster(?) enters Jimbo's van and spots a bottle of surgical spirit. What was he using that for?

Choirmaster or..CHORISTER?? OMG!!

studpuppet

Quote from: popcorn on October 11, 2023, 04:10:00 AMHad a quick skim through the first ep but not watched any of it. It immediately struck me as the most overwhelmingly orange-and-teal thing I've seen since about 2013. It looked ridiculous.

Not seen anything oranger and tealer since that Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy film came out.

Head Gardener

I'm only up to episode 2 so far but it's yet to mention his work as a best selling author

Ignatius_S

Yeah, he didn't actually write that book though, did he?

shoulders

I think that or similar gets displayed in episode 3.

JesusAndYourBush

You were looking at the wrong thing. To the right was a packet of prophylactics.

Endicott

Anyway, surgical spirit is just an alternative to turps, and is a general purpose cleaning agent.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: shoulders on October 11, 2023, 12:39:29 PMI think that or similar gets displayed in episode 3.

Yeah.

Still up on Amazon, albeit out of stock in this form (although he only did an introduction for it)

Republished without his intro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamin-Rabbit-Stranger-Danger-Keller/dp/0824981006

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Here's me thinking he was doing something sinister with surgical spirit. Cheers.

dontpaintyourteeth

Chekhov's surgical spirit

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 11, 2023, 09:32:46 AMI think it was the box of rubber johnnies we were supposed to be looking at.

I thought it was generally very good, got no problems with drama being made about the likes of Savile and I think some of the points made here are valid

Blimey with the beard and hair, is he doing Russell Brand next?

Cerys

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted the resemblance!

shoulders

More like Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen.

ollyboro

Savile mentioning 2 Little Boys by fellow nonce Rolf Harris at the end of Top Of The Pops was a nice touch.

ollyboro

I keep getting glimpses of Partridge's face and Paul Calf's voice.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 11, 2023, 01:50:37 PMYeah.

Still up on Amazon, albeit out of stock in this form (although he only did an introduction for it)

Republished without his intro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benjamin-Rabbit-Stranger-Danger-Keller/dp/0824981006
Have to admire the attention to detail:

That's genuinely a photo of CooganSavile's mug taken specifically for this blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of the book as well, isn't it?

magister

There's a mention in Dan Davies' biography of Savile that he used to douse his genitals in TCP after sex. Maybe a non-proprietary reference to that?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

neveragain

Quote from: jazzy_sabotage on October 11, 2023, 11:40:12 PMHave to admire the attention to detail:

That's genuinely a photo of CooganSavile's mug taken specifically for this blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of the book as well, isn't it?

Going along the same lines as the bits of archive footage, I think they shouldn't have bothered with any of those recreations. Just keep the actual photos in there, doesn't matter if they stick out. Little reminders that he did actually exist were effectively horrifying.

magister

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 12, 2023, 12:04:58 AMOh god

Yeah. I'd been in two minds whether to mention that. Somehow the fucking banality of it just brings it home all the more. Horrible, horrible man.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

So if he used condoms, was the TCP just for disinfecting his balls?

JesusAndYourBush

I wasn't going to mention it as it's gross, but after all this talk I might as well...
After he died and everything came out, in one of the papers someone said his todger was long and thin like a pigs. (But presumably not coiled.)

beanheadmcginty

The surgical spirit might be a nod to the popular 1970s public information film where Duncan Preston (from the sitcom Surgical Spirit) plays a nonce in a Ford Cortina  outside a school.