Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hollow Crown

Started by centristmelt, October 15, 2023, 01:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centristmelt

This is being repeated on BBC Four. Outstanding piece of television - Richard II with Ben Whishaw and Rory Kinnear was phenomenal.

lauraxsynthesis

Pranet

I noticed by accident that a 1953 film of Julius Caesar was on BBC2 this afternoon, and having a root around the iplayer a fair bit of Shakespeare content is on there. I watched the Julius Caesar film this evening and quite enjoyed it.

There's a load of Shakespeare stuff on at the moment to mark the 400th anniversary of the publication of the First Folio.

poodlefaker

Watched Richard II with my old dad last Saturday. He's got the Alzheimers and usually turns the TV off after about 15 mins because he's lost interest, but he was gripped for two and a half hours. I said "Are you following this?" and he said "Not really", but it certainly affected him. Brilliant stuff.

superthunderstingcar

I watched the 1955 Laurence Olivier Richard III on the iPlayer the other day - obviously the most iconic and oft-imitated version (including Peter Cook in The Black Adder, of course), but maybe not actually the best Richard III I've seen.

The last part of The Hollow Crown is Richard III with Benedict Cumberbatch in the title role, and is really good. Though even better yet is the BBC's studio-bound ensemble-cast play-on-TV version from 1983, with Ron (not Peter) Cook as Richard.

shoulders

I watched at the time. Something about Richard II didn't stick for me. The major events concerning the treasury and the war in Ireland seem quite distant and you're left watching him hang around with some unconvincing dodgy mates who don't have enough charisma individually to keep me interested.

Attila

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on October 23, 2023, 06:25:41 PMI watched the 1955 Laurence Olivier Richard III on the iPlayer the other day - obviously the most iconic and oft-imitated version (including Peter Cook in The Black Adder, of course), but maybe not actually the best Richard III I've seen.

And inspired Paul Darrow's acting in the Doctor Who 'Timelash' serial.

lauraxsynthesis

Another famous spoof of Olivier's RIII in case anyone here hasn't already heard it a dozen times.