Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Britain's Housing Crisis: What Went Wrong? - BBC series

Started by Easy_To_Assemble, October 19, 2023, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New series on BBC: 'Britain's Housing Crisis: What Went Wrong?'.

Part of me hates watching or reading stuff which tells us all what's wrong with something. Because it usually just ends up as impotent rage-bait, rarely translating to the problem being solved. But, this programme does provide a good summary of the roots of what's happened to our housing market in the last few decades. It manages to find the common threads that link decrepit social housing stock, with leaseholders being ripped off, and renters being fleeced.

Baffles me that Sunak and Starmer took a week to agree to work cross-party on the Israel/Palestine situation, but 20 years' worth of politicians couldn't bring themselves together to solve the housing crisis.

Gurke and Hare

Do they need a whole programme to say "Right to buy"?

shoulders

QuoteSunak and Starmer took a week to agree to work cross-party on the Israel/Palestine situation

They don't disagree on that issue, and neither of them disagree on the housing crisis either beyond blaming whoever is in power for whatever is going wrong then doing nothing when it's their turn.

shoulders

Still, nice that the BBC have produced two programmes clearly critical of Thatcherite policies in such a short space of time.

If you go further back though, Labour's rushed approach to delivering new housing in the 60s and 70s has also fundamentally cost us. Those were intended to be long term investments but were totally cocked up and have provided inadequate housing to the poor up to the present day.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 19, 2023, 01:54:00 PMDo they need a whole programme to say "Right to buy"?

The problem's more extensive than just that. It was also stuff like Brown giving the Bank of England independence to set interest rates, the building firms' eye watering profits, the whole leasehold scandal, and the whole building industry's red tape being cut so much, we ended up with Grenfell.

It's not just Thatcher. It's also every leader since. Total intertia and failure to grapple with the problem.

gilbertharding

Every comment I saw on twitter blamed 'unrestricted immigration' which made me dispair.