Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:19:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking ubiquitous "light entertainment" celebrities

Started by cromby, October 19, 2023, 07:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on October 29, 2023, 07:12:50 PMA defence is that these celebrities are driven. Rylan used X Factor as a way in to showbiz, there's dozens like him that crawl through the cracks in the glass ceiling of celebrity (usually held firm by talent and nepotism). Most of these people aren't particularly great at anything, they look alright, but they fail forwards, pushed forward by their own self-belief that they want to be famous. In some ways you've got to admire some of them for not only making a living but maybe setting themselves up for life.

You can start off on Love Island, then get on a dating reality show, then you get on Celebrity MasterChef, and then maybe you get a top gig on I'm a Celeb... or Strictly and that's job done.

None of that is admirable, just a depressing reflection  of modern society

Des Wigwam

Is the one who escaped out of Gogglebox still on the loose? She won the jungle thing I think and then seemed to be doing daytime TV fodder - variations on driving school etc. Seemed everywhere and then nowhere. Not an uncommon occurrence of course.

The other Gogglebox ones seem to do more in the line of personal appearances and the sisters got in on the influencer grift I think.

I haven't seen it for ages and so not clicked on phone links and subsequently not been shown stories.

Des Wigwam

What did Rylan do on X-factor? Singer? Cheeky Girl-style novelty act? He suddenly seemed to be a presenter everyone knew and getting gigs.

finnquark

Quote from: iamcoop on October 23, 2023, 11:58:57 AMJust read that at work and had to stifle laughter.

It's wonderfully crowbarred in at times as well.

'Wilkes attended City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College.[8] He is a boyhood fan of Port Vale like his friend Robbie Williams.[9]
While working for the BBC, he lived in London with his friend Robbie Williams in Williams' mansion.[10] Also while at the BBC, he met his wife Nikki. The couple live in Royal Wootton Bassett.[11]
In September 2013, Wilkes opened his own full-time performing arts college called Wilkes Academy.[12] The patrons of the academy include Ant and Dec, Arlene Phillips and his friend Robbie Williams.[13]'

Blue Jam

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on October 29, 2023, 07:12:50 PMYou can start off on Love Island, then get on a dating reality show, then you get on Celebrity MasterChef, and then maybe you get a top gig on I'm a Celeb... or Strictly and that's job done.

Ah yes, the Stephen Bear career plan. Love Island, Celebrity Big Brother, Celebs Go Dating, that MTV tattoo show, OnlyFans... I wouldn't say he's set himself up for life but I guess he doesn't have to worry about paying the bills anymore.

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 30, 2023, 09:16:11 PMAh yes, the Stephen Bear career trajectory. Whatever happened to him, eh?

Bear never made it past the mid-tier of the celeb ladder, mainly because the warning signs about him being a wrong-un were there during his Big Brother stint. See also Sam Pepper.

Blue Jam

I first saw Stephen Bear on Celebs Go Dating and thought he came across as a bona fide sociopath. I genuinely found it too uncomfortable to watch at times. A properly shuddersome individual.

I hadn't heard of Sam Pepper before now, he sounds like more of a Legend Gary.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 30, 2023, 08:54:05 PMIs the one who escaped out of Gogglebox still on the loose? She won the jungle thing I think and then seemed to be doing daytime TV fodder - variations on driving school etc. Seemed everywhere and then nowhere. Not an uncommon occurrence of course.

Is that Scarlet Moffatt who cunningly killed her career in 2019 with the somewhat racist The British Tribe Next Door? Although she seems to be back with Driving School as the Maureen Rees of the 2020s. (Seriously, how does Maureen Rees have a Wikipedia page, especially with a 5-paragraph personal life section?)

I think Rylan should just be allowed to do every one of these shows 24/7 for the rest of time, and then we wouldn't have to worry about this any more.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 31, 2023, 10:24:36 AMIs that Scarlet Moffatt who cunningly killed her career in 2019 with the somewhat racist The British Tribe Next Door? Although she seems to be back with Driving School as the Maureen Rees of the 2020s. (Seriously, how does Maureen Rees have a Wikipedia page, especially with a 5-paragraph personal life section?)

I think Rylan should just be allowed to do every one of these shows 24/7 for the rest of time, and then we wouldn't have to worry about this any more.

What the fuck. I never heard about that programme. What were they thinking

Des Wigwam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 31, 2023, 10:24:36 AMIs that Scarlet Moffatt who cunningly killed her career in 2019 with the somewhat racist The British Tribe Next Door? Although she seems to be back with Driving School as the Maureen Rees of the 2020s. (Seriously, how does Maureen Rees have a Wikipedia page, especially with a 5-paragraph personal life section?)

Ha - yes. I'm glad I mentioned her just so I could read that. I caught about 5  minutes of that programme and it did[ seem so batshit it should have been good but was somehow really tedious.

This line reminds me of Frank Skinner's dad though who thought inside toilets were unhygienic:

Quotecattle herder Mbiki questions the fundamental need for an upstairs

Frank Skinner makes a good point - if you asked an alien about building a house and said that there's a pot where all your bodily waste goes; should we put it inside or outside of the building? Who in their right mind would say definitely put that inside?

If I lived on the plains of somewhere rather than a postage stamp-sized island I would 100% agree with Mbiki.

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 30, 2023, 08:55:58 PMWhat did Rylan do on X-factor? Singer? Cheeky Girl-style novelty act? He suddenly seemed to be a presenter everyone knew and getting gigs.

I think he was a Cheeky Girls novelty. So he's done well to carve out this stable and respectable career. I don't mind him.

Icehaven

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 31, 2023, 10:41:01 AMHa - yes. I'm glad I mentioned her just so I could read that. I caught about 5  minutes of that programme and it did[ seem so batshit it should have been good but was somehow really tedious.

This line reminds me of Frank Skinner's dad though who thought inside toilets were unhygienic:

Frank Skinner makes a good point - if you asked an alien about building a house and said that there's a pot where all your bodily waste goes; should we put it inside or outside of the building? Who in their right mind would say definitely put that inside?

If I lived on the plains of somewhere rather than a postage stamp-sized island I would 100% agree with Mbiki.

...and the plains were warm and mostly dry, however when you need a slash at 3am in Britain having the toilet inside doesn't seem like such a silly idea because it's probably raining and/or freezing cold.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Icehaven on October 31, 2023, 11:58:46 AM...and the plains were warm and mostly dry, however when you need a slash at 3am in Britain having the toilet inside doesn't seem like such a silly idea because it's probably raining and/or freezing cold.

Totally - plus there might be a spider in there. That was always the horror of having to go to the toilet at my grandparents. That plus the Izal toilet paper.

Icehaven

I like Rylan but I do think he's had a career partly because someone somewhere realised Norton's going to need replacing on Eurovision one day.