Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blocking YouTube adverts [spit topic[

Started by Mobbd, October 10, 2023, 03:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

I've been getting an "ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube" message lately. It's pushing a pro service.

At the moment I can just X it off but it's still annoying (it comes up with every new video and I have to press play again) and I'm sure they'll instate a more serious thing to make us switch the blocker off soon.

It's a shame. I've been watching YouTube ad-free for about 17 years with ABP. For about a decade, I didn't even know YouTube had adverts!

NoSleep

I'm using the specific Adblocker for Youtube and that seems to be working fine.

hermitical

I use uBlock Origin and following the instructions on a Reddit sticky all is well. I was having problems but I'm pretty sure it was ad blocking on Enhancer for YouTube that was causing the issue

Any up-to-date tips for circumventing this? Is it just affecting Adblock Plus?

It's progressed from the dialogue box I needed to close to outright barring me from watching videos.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: convulsivespace on October 21, 2023, 01:03:28 AMAny up-to-date tips for circumventing this? Is it just affecting Adblock Plus?

Have you looked into NewPipe? There's a new version of Vanced (basically a YouTube Premium clone) on the scene too, called ReVanced.

NoSleep

Quote from: convulsivespace on October 21, 2023, 01:03:28 AMAny up-to-date tips for circumventing this? Is it just affecting Adblock Plus?

It's progressed from the dialogue box I needed to close to outright barring me from watching videos.
Quote from: NoSleep on October 10, 2023, 06:00:17 PMI'm using the specific Adblock for Youtube and that seems to be working fine.

Also look for Adblock on Youtube.
I suppose it depends on whether the extension is available for your browser of choice. It may be worth setting up an extension-friendly browser just for YouTube if all else fails.

Sonny_Jim

Just noticed the adblocker on my PC was being a bit funny with YouTube ads.  It still doesn't show them but now it shows a black screen for 5-10s before starting a vid.

I guess someone at YouTube has decided to start up the ad blocker arms race and flicked a switch

NoSleep

It started at least months ago for me. Adblock for YouTube got things back to normal; not seen any of the recent problems at all (apart from other people mentioning them).

bgmnts

Just been threatened with 'three more advert-free videos left'.

So that's 15 years of YouTube at an end. Bummer!

BJBMK2

Pro tip, cos I've now effectively been banned from Youtube too for using an ad blocker. Youtube videos embedded on this site (and presumably other sites that allow embeds), still work fine. I had to make a preview post and stick a Youtube URL in just so I could watch something like a normal person.

All Surrogate

uBlock Origin seems to have caught up on all of this; I've just had to manually update the built-in filters a few times. This is on Firefox.

BJBMK2

Seems to be working for me in Chrome Incognito, with Adblock on, logged out of my account.

That may not remain the case, mind, we'll see. Youtube seem to be on the proper warpath at the moment.

Mobbd

Yeah, the problems have gone away for me too. If ABP fails again, I'll switch to NoSleep's solution.

Sebastian Cobb

I haven't had any problems with vivaldi browser (chromium based), ublock origin and privacybadger.

While we're here big shout out to the sponsorblock extension, it's an addon that blocks in-video promotion, sponsors etc (can also do other stuff like recaps), the info is crowdsourced so someone needs to have gotten to the video before you and reported where these bits occur but it tends to be pretty reliable.

Jim_MacLaine

I wonder if this has all happened because the use of adblockers has now reached critical mass and youtube are now having to do something about it.

I tried watching YT on my smart telly and it was literally unwatchable, a 25 min video had ads every few minutes. Ridiculous.

Sonny_Jim

Tubi has ads but you are mostly watching 1hr+ movies and the actual adverts are 2-3 minutes long, so it's a lot more like the old days where you'd nip off for a piss and put the kettle on.

NoSleep

Have any of you been following Louis Rossmann's latest venture (possibly doomed to be crushed lifeless by the powers that be before it takes its first few steps)? I think it probably blocks ads (edit: he says it does in the video) amongst a whole other bunch of stuff.

perplexingprocrastinator

Folks. If you're looking to watch Youtube without ads:

Go to 613tube.com

Paste the url from Youtube for the video you wanna watch.

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

Says it works for most videos - I haven't found one yet which doesn't.

Who knows if the site will get nixed by the copyright bastards at some point - but right now, it's good :)

God DAMN but Youtube is ATROCIOUS with the adverts.

Head Gardener