Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Three Little Birds (Lenny Henry written Windrush drama)

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 15, 2023, 10:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

This is on ITV just now, has anyone else been watching it?

It focuses on three women who have moved to the UK from Jamaica, one to check out a potential husband, another fleeing from an abusive one and the third (sister of the one fleeing) who has dreams of becoming an actress but is arriving to be a maid for some awful rich pricks.

Being a Henry vehicle, unlike most of Black-led stories/dramas, it's set in Dudley rather than London, which makes for a bit of a change and there's certainly a bit of yam-humour injected into it. It occurred to me later on hearing so many blackcountry accents is rare in itself.

As for the drama and feel for the show, it feels a bit like a more serialised and slightly less good version of the Small Axe anthology films the BBC did a few years ago (definitely check them if you haven't, they appear to be on iPlayer for the next month https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08vy19b/small-axe-series-1-mangrove). It's a little bit more soapy, less kitchen sink and gritty and despite generally having characters in bad situations and facing racism and violence still has bit of a slightly too upbeat feel. Some of the non-racist white characters are probably guilty of verging or slipping into saviourism at points. But on the whole I thought it was an enjoyable show.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 15, 2023, 10:20:51 PMThis is on ITV just now, has anyone else been watching it?

It focuses on three women who have moved to the UK from Jamaica, one to check out a potential husband, another fleeing from an abusive one and the third (sister of the one fleeing) who has dreams of becoming an actress but is arriving to be a maid for some awful rich pricks.

Being a Henry vehicle, unlike most of Black-led stories/dramas, it's set in Dudley rather than London, which makes for a bit of a change and there's certainly a bit of yam-humour injected into it. It occurred to me later on hearing so many blackcountry accents is rare in itself.

As for the drama and feel for the show, it feels a bit like a more serialised and slightly less good version of the Small Axe anthology films the BBC did a few years ago (definitely check them if you haven't, they appear to be on iPlayer for the next month https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08vy19b/small-axe-series-1-mangrove). It's a little bit more soapy, less kitchen sink and gritty and despite generally having characters in bad situations and facing racism and violence still has bit of a slightly too upbeat feel. Some of the non-racist white characters are probably guilty of verging or slipping into saviourism at points. But on the whole I thought it was an enjoyable show.

Are you including the white woman who found two of the characters hiding in her shed? Her dialogue felt a bit unrealistically worthy.

There's a similarish BBC "ethnic-minority-character-is-the-fish-out-of-water" daytime drama called The Indian Doctor, set in a 1960s Welsh village and starring Sanjeev Bhaskar, that's available on Freevee which I think is quite good.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 15, 2023, 10:20:51 PMThis is on ITV just now, has anyone else been watching it?

its an 8pm ITV show - guess its going for a Call the Midwife feel - warm looking but tackling some tough issues - rather than the gritty Small Axe

Sebastian Cobb

Ha I hadn't really considered its target audience/timeslot, been so long since I really bothered with linear tv. I think before this the last ITV thing I watched was when Christopher Biggins, Bobby George and Pat Butcher went round America getting stoned.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 16, 2023, 09:55:41 AMHa I hadn't really considered its target audience/timeslot, been so long since I really bothered with linear tv. I think before this the last ITV thing I watched was when Christopher Biggins, Bobby George and Pat Butcher went round America getting stoned.

Fair do's. Hard to imagine they'll ever top that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DelurkedToHelp on November 15, 2023, 11:08:46 PMAre you including the white woman who found two of the characters hiding in her shed? Her dialogue felt a bit unrealistically worthy.

Yes, of course.

Spoiler alert
I was also thinking of Siobhan, but the last episode seems to have set her up as more than just a friendly ally.
[close]