Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:11:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boat Story (is gory) new BBC drama

Started by lauraxsynthesis, November 21, 2023, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

I had a look at Boat Story last night because Daisy Haggard is in it. It looks amazing visually and seems rather well done. I didn't like the accent of the narrator but stuck with it until after the 3rd(?) scene of very unpleasant gore. I kept having to literally put my hand in front of my eyes to block stuff out. I might come back to it if the first episode isn't representative, but the spoiler at the very beginning of
Spoiler alert
one of the main character's severed head
[close]
would suggest otherwise.

Also sad to see that nice Baptiste fella
Spoiler alert
being an absolute evil bastard.
[close]
Same writers as Baptiste.

neveragain

gilbertharding

Quite enjoying this (seen the first two episodes). It's cartoonishly violent.

The shootout at the police station, where the young man and lady police officers, who you've just been introduced to, and might assume will play a part in a sub-story somewhere in the series are just...
Spoiler alert
offed
[close]

I guess the tone is similar to The Tourist in that respect. It has the Pulp Fiction thing of time-shifting the narrative, but the play within the play is working quite well. It lets you know that Paterson Joseph survives at least that long.

Oh, Nobody

Four episodes into this and I still can't decide if it's shit. Seems like it's trying to be Fargo in places. S'alright.

I cannot brook this accent from Daisy Haggard though.

jobotic

Only seen the first episode. Could live without the gore but much more bothered by the narration and silent movie title screens. Tediously quirky.

Apart from that I quite enjoyed it.

studpuppet

I thought it was straining to be a small-screen version of a Wes Anderson movie (and I don't like Wes Anderson movies very much). There were a lot of very contrived plot points which meant I didn't go back for the second episode, I'm afraid.

chutnut

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 21, 2023, 05:36:53 PMThe shootout at the police station, where the young man and lady police officers, who you've just been introduced to, and might assume will play a part in a sub-story somewhere in the series are just...
Spoiler alert
offed
[close]

Is this the most redundant spoiler tag ever?

cromby

I'm enjoying this! It wears its stylistic origins (Fargo/Wes Anderson/Tarantino, as people have noted upthread) very prominently, and tbh the narration is useful if you're a dozy cunt like me who gets lost with who's who and what's what easily.

A lot of the plot points are very contrived, but then it's a comedy, isn't it?

gilbertharding

Milo

I think the narration is reminding me of some Stanley Tucci stuff in Inside Man except it feels more out of place. Sticking with it though, god knows I've flip all else to do.

Milo

cromby

On episode 6, but my enthusiasm waned about episode 3 tbh. Far too long-winded.

Hank_Kingsley

Managed about 15 minutes and I fucking hated every moment. Felt like someone fed Fargo, A Simple Plan, and every shit BBC1 Britcom since 1995 into Generative AI and this is what came out.

shiftwork2

The
Spoiler alert
solitary sailor Plod out on his own in rough seas beckoning COME ON THEN to a drug smuggler with a knife rather than doing literally anything else
[close]
was an indicator that this was not going to make a lick of sense so off it went.

jobotic

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 23, 2023, 09:51:14 AMThe
Spoiler alert
solitary sailor Plod out on his own in rough seas beckoning COME ON THEN to a drug smuggler with a knife rather than doing literally anything else
[close]
was an indicator that this was not going to make a lick of sense so off it went.

Yeah but....
Spoiler alert
I thought the same but he wasn't acting as Plod in offical capacity. Still daft but not quite as daft as it seems at first
[close]

Watched the second last night. Will keep watching. The narration and now the play are still getting on my tits though.

shiftwork2

studpuppet

Quote from: cromby on November 22, 2023, 11:36:44 AMA lot of the plot points are very contrived, but then it's a comedy, isn't it?

Is it?!!

Angst in my Pants

Ironically I couldn't get the chorus of Insomnia out of my head last night.

...and now it's back again ngggggggggh

Dex Sawash

Time to renew nordvpn, think I'll let it lapse for a bit

gilbertharding

Daft little joke in episode 3 where the
Spoiler alert
dim-bulb copper has set up a puzzle wall in his bedroom, with the red wool. "Show yourself!"
[close]
made me laugh more than it should.

Of course, you think he'll turn out to be the hero, but he'll end up shot or worse, obviously.