Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Archie: the man who became Cary Grant

Started by lauraxsynthesis, November 23, 2023, 10:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauraxsynthesis

This is on ITVX at the moment. I guess this is a thing - showing stuff only on the app first rather than broadcast. Biopics are weird, aren't they. Sometimes for an instant Jason Isaacs does look just like CG but much of the time he doesn't. George Burns, Doris Day, Mae West turn up and I can't focus on what they're doing and saying because I'm trying to see if there's a physical resemblance. It shouldn't matter obvs but I think there's something about this programme that is stopping me suspending my disbelief more than usual. The Mae West impression was lots of fun and I'd have been happy with a full half hour of her.

CG's wife Dyan Cannon produced so the whole thing is framed around their relationship which is a bit naff but it's an interesting story so I'll low it. I hadn't known the story about his mother
Spoiler alert
which is horrific stuff.
[close]

Good supporting cast with Harriet Walter & Jason Watkins. I've finished the first 2 of the 4 eps and reckon I'll keep going. It's very much about his life rather than his career so far so it's kinda soapy rather than a trip through Hollywood's Golden Age, which might disappoint some folks.

jamiefairlie

Hopefully it'll educated stupid Americans on how to pronounce his fucking first name.

Keebleman

What, they can't pronounce Archie?

A few months ago in work I was tickled when a lady called Carrie Grant came in.  Turned out she is famous in her own right and is married to the guy who used to be the singer for Lynx.

Dex Sawash

Mr_Simnock

Enjoyed the first 3 episodes of this. Jason Watkin's accent in this is terrible and actually made me laugh it was so bad in one line.

Maurice Yeatman

The fact that Cary Grant was actually Archie Leach from Bristol is not quite as good as Ray Milland being Alf Jones from Neath.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 28, 2023, 12:30:50 AMThe fact that Cary Grant was actually Archie Leach from Bristol is not quite as good as Ray Milland being Alf Jones from Neath.

I did not know that! Should have gone into Music Hall with that name, boyo.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Watching this now. Apparently North by Northwest was released in 1962, and not 1959 as we've always been told. I'm looking forward to more mindblowing revelations along those lines.