Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Inbetween

Started by Satchmo Distel, October 07, 2018, 02:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: jobotic on June 09, 2023, 11:17:34 PMThat bit when they go to see the unicorn was a bit silly. Should have thrown boiling water and jam in its face. More action!

I liked the unicorn but! They should have kept his nod to Gaz out of it though and had it be a spot of magical realism. Like the UFOs in Fargo.

jobotic

I'm getting to it now so maybe it'll be better than I remember.

I forgot how funny it is that these super hard men to whom murder is no big deal go on about bashing people like they're in The Beano.

Ron Superior

I liked the Unicorn bit too! Was nice to see him in a woods without a shovel. And I thought it illustrated how he's a bit all over the place morally. He's completely honest with his daughter about sex, Jesus whatever, but will let her think unicorns exist. It's sweet, but inconsistent. Like his code of ethics where he hates mistreatment of women but will just get on with disposing of dead girls for rich scumbags until it happens to a girl he fancied.

Hat FM

i presumed
Spoiler alert
he was going to get his comeuppance with that girl he buried instead of feeding to the pigs
[close]
but it didn't happen. Was it to show he was a bit lower on the scumbag meter than the other guy? probably.

Mobbd

Quote from: Hat FM on June 13, 2023, 02:57:16 PMi presumed
Spoiler alert
he was going to get his comeuppance with that girl he buried instead of feeding to the pigs
[close]
but it didn't happen. Was it to show he was a bit lower on the scumbag meter than the other guy? probably.

Spoiler alert
I wondered about that too but I think it might have been foreshadowing or at least prep work for what happens to his girlfriend later on. When the boss is supposed to dump her at the hospital, I mean. One imagines she went to the piggies.
[close]

13 schoolyards

One of the many things I liked about the series was the way it constantly weaved in plot points that could go either way - there could be a callback much later (the submachine gun) or they never went anywhere and were never mentioned again. Smart writing, and it made the whole thing seem a lot more believable than if it was all tightly plotted clockwork murder plots.

Plus the main performance was always so convincing it made complete sense that he'd leave some things unfinished and generally be a bit erratic morally (just like a real boy) - he talked up his code but really he just did whatever suited him at the time, and whether he swore eternal vengeance against you or went "nah, she's cool" just boiled down to how he felt on the day.

jobotic

Watched the end of series 2/start of series 3 again last night.

The scenes with Bruce and Britanny
Spoiler alert
after Bruce has decided the time has come to end it all
[close]
were astonishingly good.

And Ray's joke
Spoiler alert
in prison about being a rapist made me wince but laugh despite myself.
[close]

Blue Jam

Just started this. I can only echo that it's excellent and Scott Ryan is excellent. It's already clicked with me in a way that Barry never quite did.

I did like the detail in Gary's garage/man cave of the

Spoiler alert
mockup Scarface poster with Gary's face and the text "GARFACE"
[close]

jobotic

You're in for a treat. It's up there with BCS in my book. Very different but just as good.

Blue Jam

Loving the forced anger management group sessions. It's like watching a very dark remake of Saxondale.

Blue Jam

Oh gawd, the

Spoiler alert
Bond chat
[close]

in S02E03, and then the

Spoiler alert
birds and the bees
[close]

chat. Scott Ryan has definitely watched a bit of Partridge hasn't he?

Blue Jam

Just finished this. What a final moment... Leaves Barry right in the dunny.

Scott Ryan is phenomenal. I'd love to see in Quentin Tarantino's final film. Just me?

robhug

just finished the 2nd series of this and think its great. Brooke Satchwell is also as fit as a butchers dog, in a not completely conventional way which I find to be the best way.

Hard to believe the guy playing his brother is a perfectly healthy bloke with no health issues at all.

Also enjoy Ray's favoured method of instigating violence is kicking his opponent in the nuts, which I've made a mental note to replicate should the opportunity arise.

Blue Jam

I love all the scenes of Uncle Bruce having his nails painted etc by Britt. Such a sweet relationship they have.

Spoiler alert
I missed him in sesson 3 :(
[close]

What's the story behind this then? Pretty incredible that Scott Ryan gets to his 40s having not done any writing or acting before, and not only does he have a decent stab at both, he actually turns out to be blood great at both? I don't believe Nicholas Cassim has done much before either, but as you say, it's hard to believe he doesn't actually have MND. I hope they both go on to bigger things.

robhug

Its based on the film The Magician from 2005, which is the same premise he just looks 13 years younger. He wrote and starred in that and got nominated and won awards, he just seemingly did fuck all for ages then did this. Certainly an unusual route, particularly when its such high quality.

Blue Jam

Quote from: robhug on August 18, 2023, 12:47:14 PMIts based on the film The Magician from 2005, which is the same premise he just looks 13 years younger. He wrote and starred in that and got nominated and won awards, he just seemingly did fuck all for ages then did this. Certainly an unusual route, particularly when its such high quality.

I know about The Magician (though I had assumed it was much more recent than that, still need to track it down) but as you say it's still an unusual route. Was he in am-dram theatre or something? Writing and acting as a hobby? Hard to believe anyone could make something this good without having honed their craft a bit.

13 schoolyards

It wasn't so much that he did fuck all between The Magician and this as it was he got a few early knockbacks, decided to focus on getting the TV version up, said he wouldn't do it unless he wrote and starred in it (seems like people wanted him to do one or the other but not both), and that took so long he went back to driving taxis to make a living until it finally got picked up.

Seems like he figured out that bit parts in other people's projects wasn't going to get him far (and in Australia, that's pretty much the case), so he might as well go all in on a project that would make or break him. He studied acting in Melbourne and all the usual stuff, though his personal background prior to that seems a little intense from what he's hinted at.

Johnboy

A friend recommended this and I've watched it all and loved it.

The tension was great, haven't been this engaged in something for ages.