Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:22:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another 'what podcasts are you listening to?' thread (End times edition)

Started by non capisco, September 01, 2020, 11:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2022, 12:07:02 AManyone tried praxiscast and if so any cop?

I quite like it.  They do a regular section called 'Comment or Commentariat' which boils the blood.

If you want a learning experience there were good episodes on the energy crisis and its causes, and the UK fishing industry and how it got where it is.

phantom_power

Quote from: gib on February 17, 2022, 11:41:24 PMBrian and Roger. What Radio4 comedy could have evolved into. Pavlovian grin every time i hear 'hello Brian it's Roger here.'

Heavy pencil is a similar, phonecall based comedy

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 18, 2022, 06:12:42 AMI quite like it.  They do a regular section called 'Comment or Commentariat' which boils the blood.

If you want a learning experience there were good episodes on the energy crisis and its causes, and the UK fishing industry and how it got where it is.

Ah nice one, I'll give that a shot then, cheers!

MojoJojo

Quote from: paruses on February 17, 2022, 10:04:20 PMI heard a few episodes of this maybe 4 years ago and share your viewpoint 100%.

Do you actually listen to it and is it still going?

Last episode 8 days ago. Although only 4 series over 6 years. I haven't deleted it, but haven't listened to it in ages - it's not really what I want from a podcast.

paruses

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 18, 2022, 11:39:09 AMLast episode 8 days ago. Although only 4 series over 6 years. I haven't deleted it, but haven't listened to it in ages - it's not really what I want from a podcast.

Exactly same for me. Probably was 6 years ago but that's too much to process.

beanheadmcginty

Anybody know why 6 episodes of Gossipmongers have just suddenly appeared?

jonnycuba

Quote from: mattyc on February 17, 2022, 01:12:05 PMI'd love to find some podcasts along the lines of the BBC's incredible Lovecraft Investigations, but I can't find anything that grabs me quite as much as that did. Any recommendations?

Give the 'Magnus Archive' a go.

DrGreggles

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 20, 2022, 04:48:48 PMAnybody know why 6 episodes of Gossipmongers have just suddenly appeared?

David said it was coming soon, but I wasn't expecting them all to drop at once.
He's away filming for 6 weeks, so he probably wanted to get some content out and this way was easier.

pigamus

Still enjoying The West Wing Thing, that has Trilbilly and Chapo House people on it I think

Utter Shit

Has anyone listened to the Trojan Horse Affair podcast? Well worth a go if you're interested in investigative journalism.

It's by the people behind Serial and S-Town (side note: anyone who hasn't heard S-Town, it is incredible - an absolute must-listen) about the Trojan Horse letter from a decade or so ago, alleging that there was a plot within a handful of Birmingham schools to foment extremist Muslim beliefs in the students. But to be honest the letter, and the claims held within it, is only part of a sprawling, occasionally bonkers story.

I've flown through the entire eight-hour series in a couple of days, massively recommended.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 22, 2022, 10:57:08 AMHas anyone listened to the Trojan Horse Affair podcast? Well worth a go if you're interested in investigative journalism.

It's by the people behind Serial and S-Town (side note: anyone who hasn't heard S-Town, it is incredible - an absolute must-listen) about the Trojan Horse letter from a decade or so ago, alleging that there was a plot within a handful of Birmingham schools to foment extremist Muslim beliefs in the students. But to be honest the letter, and the claims held within it, is only part of a sprawling, occasionally bonkers story.

I've flown through the entire eight-hour series in a couple of days, massively recommended.
this is getting tore apart by England's journalists en masse atm on twitter, haven't heard it yet but inclined to side with the podcast on the basis of the people who are bashing it.

Utter Shit

The only one I saw was Sonia Sodha, who else has been going in on it? Her criticism of it in the Guardian reads very much like the opinion of someone who didn't listen to it. Most of the questions and issues she raises are answered and discussed in the podcast.

Spoiler alert
She calls it one-sided, when it not only presents both sides of the story as much as possible (a lot of those involved on one side refused interview requests), but has a lengthy sequence where one of the hosts explicitly criticises the other host for his bias.

She also calls Tahir Alam the 'hero' of the piece, when he is only one of many important people in the podcast, and indeed by the end is no longer even central to their investigation. Which to me suggests that Sodha listened to an episode or two at the start and based her column on what is basically just the beginning of the story.
[close]

non capisco

Quote from: boki on September 02, 2020, 03:17:50 PMSong vs Song - Todd "In The Shadows" Nathanson and Dany Roth pick a couple of songs that share some kind of superficial similarity and try to work out which is better.  One of the criteria being which would produce the better Shatnerisation.

Just started on these, love Todd In The Shadows' videos and these are a fun, breezy listen while I wait for the next CMP. Cheers!

boki

You're welcome! I should probably point out that I didn't deadname Alina, there - she came out a few months after I wrote that post.

non capisco

Quote from: boki on February 23, 2022, 07:25:56 AMYou're welcome! I should probably point out that I didn't deadname Alina, there - she came out a few months after I wrote that post.

Oh cool, I'd assumed from the current podcast description that Todd had changed co-host since the start but that's good as I'm enjoying their chemistry in the early episodes.

mr. logic

This week's episode of This American Life- mostly a retread of a 2017 episode but with new stuff- was wonderful. Still the daddy of podcasts.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 22, 2022, 01:49:03 PMThe only one I saw was Sonia Sodha, who else has been going in on it? Her criticism of it in the Guardian reads very much like the opinion of someone who didn't listen to it. Most of the questions and issues she raises are answered and discussed in the podcast.

Spoiler alert
She calls it one-sided, when it not only presents both sides of the story as much as possible (a lot of those involved on one side refused interview requests), but has a lengthy sequence where one of the hosts explicitly criticises the other host for his bias.

She also calls Tahir Alam the 'hero' of the piece, when he is only one of many important people in the podcast, and indeed by the end is no longer even central to their investigation. Which to me suggests that Sodha listened to an episode or two at the start and based her column on what is basically just the beginning of the story.
[close]

Not listened to it yet but will be as I know a lot about it.  However this stuff is always over-stylised edutainment created for rubbernecking armchair sleuths.  Reality churned through a mincer to make it sound like an Agatha Christie novel that you dear viewer will be enlightened by.  No doubt loads of over the top ASMR type "serious" talking into microphones and intriguing borderline conspiracy theory music.

Still will give it a listen but expectations are very low (especially from the comment that "they tried to tell both sides but one-side didn't want to be interviewed - not to exonerate what happened but there might well be a reason for that).

Jerzy Bondov

Just wanted to say Ladies' Guide to Dude Cinema is a very good podcast.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 02, 2022, 03:30:11 PMJust wanted to say Ladies' Guide to Dude Cinema is a very good podcast.
It is, was it mentioned on here before? Or was there a trailer for it on one of the other Australian podcasts I listen to? Either way, I'm really enjoying it too.

Jasha

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 02, 2020, 09:35:34 AMCrime in Sports is good fun. Quite long and in-depth, but (due to the hosts) never boring.

You like cheese you like peas well then you'll love sports strangest crimes, currently the Notts County takeover fraud. Not just a rehash of the Panama expo from a few years ago with plenty of on the record interviews with those involved (even Sven)

Last summer it was the disappearance of Shergar narrated by none other than Vanilla Ice

paruses

Quote from: Jasha on March 02, 2022, 09:53:19 PMYou like cheese you like peas well then you'll love sports strangest crimes, currently the Notts County takeover fraud. Not just a rehash of the Panama expo from a few years ago with plenty of on the record interviews with those involved (even Sven)

Last summer it was the disappearance of Shergar narrated by none other than Vanilla Ice

Absolutely no need to even write that first paragraph to bolster the recommendation. Subscribed.

samadriel

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 02, 2022, 08:59:00 PMIt is, was it mentioned on here before? Or was there a trailer for it on one of the other Australian podcasts I listen to? Either way, I'm really enjoying it too.

Glad you guys are liking it;  I subscribe to their patreon to hear their views on slightly less dude-related movies, plus they talk about stuff like boy bands from their youth,  Michael Jackson,  Britney's conservatorship, Primus (just a touch left field there).It's good.

It's very much Australian showbiz-focused (hosted as it is by Aussie panel show type Peter Helliar), so it might not appeal to y'all, but I've really been enjoying You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet, where Pete gets famous people he knows to watch classic movies they've never seen before and chat about them.  If I had to pick one good episode to dip into, I'd recommend Tony Martin talking about Top Gun - any chance to hear Tony talk movies is worth it,  he's really knowledgeable about film and really funny and incisive along with it. Shame I don't get along with Tony's own podcast,  Sizzle Town; I find the premise (fake call in radio show with Tony playing all the callers) inherently dull, a complete waste of Tony's prodigious virtues.

A brilliantly funny podcast I always enjoy is The Becky and Cam Hotline, featuring Cameron James and Becky Lucas,  which is an ACTUAL call-in show - they have their listeners call in and ask for solutions to their social problems, which Becky and Cam do with absurd role play improv sessions and just being a bitchy pair of jerks. It is up there with the Ross Noble Podcast and Three Bean Salad as the biggest source of podcast yucks I've found.  So good.

touchingcloth

The Rest is History is usually pretty good. Historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook, sometimes with a special guest but more often not, go through some facet of history or other. They've got a pretty rich seam to mine - they'll do episodes on topics that are close to one of their interests or areas of study, whether that's the French Revolution or the history of California, but they also use current affairs to choose topics to cover. When England Played Ukraine in the latest World Cup they did an episode on the relationships between those two countries, and in their past couple of weeks they've re-released relevant episodes covering Ukraine and Russia, but also put out a series of brand new episodes covering the collapse of the USSR and Putin's rise to power.

jonbob

Quote from: samadriel on March 12, 2022, 02:51:23 PMany chance to hear Tony talk movies is worth it,  he's really knowledgeable about film and really funny and incisive along with it. Shame I don't get along with Tony's own podcast,  Sizzle Town

. The unplugged episodes of sizzletown are just Tony going through a diary of movies he watched as young man in NZ and chatting about them, so you might have missed them.

I have to say while I was enjoying sizzletown the last few episodes felt like the whole thing is running out of steam

samadriel

Quote from: jonbob on March 13, 2022, 06:08:48 AM. The unplugged episodes of sizzletown are just Tony going through a diary of movies he watched as young man in NZ and chatting about them, so you might have missed them.

Oh,  yes,  I did miss that,  I'll give it a listen.

paruses

The Guardian has a round up of 5 best podcasts to "change your mind about things". Natch they have co-opted our You're Wrong About fandom.

You're Wrong About
In Touch (discussion about sex and body assumptions, misconceptions etc)
Flash Forward (discussion about possible visions of future)
You Are Not So Smart (About the psychology of scammers, marketing manipulation, cognitive bias etc)
99% Invisible (going for years - never known what it's about - Design is it?)

Does anyone listen to 99% Invisible and is it worth getting into? Think I listened to one episode long time ago and wasn't in the mood (very vague memory).

MojoJojo

I think I had the same experience with 99% Invisible. Had a bit of a podcast clear out yesterday and that's one of the ones to go. Vaguely recall it being a bit style over substance - very well produced about very dull things. Although having a quick look that might just have been because I tried one of the very early (<10) ones, the subjects seem interesting on most of them.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Jasha on March 02, 2022, 09:53:19 PMYou like cheese you like peas well then you'll love sports strangest crimes, currently the Notts County takeover fraud. Not just a rehash of the Panama expo from a few years ago with plenty of on the record interviews with those involved (even Sven)

BBC Sounds did a podcast series on the Notts County fraud. Properly mad stuff, it takes so many turns that by halfway through the Notts County element was barely even getting a mention.