Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 14: Tennant's extra / Ncuti stars

Started by Mister Six, November 24, 2022, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: daf on November 25, 2023, 12:59:31 PMSo what Spinoffs do we want?

Aggedory

Political struggles and intrigues between various factions on Peladon, plus interference from the Federation and their enemies from Galaxy Five, are each week solved in the last minute when Aggedor shows up and mauls the antagonist-of-the-week.

madhair60

got a recording scheduled when this is on and I am NOT HAPPY.

BritishHobo

Pretend you need a quick wee and you'll be right back and then just come back in an hour later and crack on like you've only been two minutes. Doctor Who doesn't respect the rules of time, why should you

BritishHobo

On spinoffs, I would genuinely enjoy some one-offs if Davies really does give them good self-contained stories and doesn't use them to all set up other shows and build to Avengers-esque reunions. Could be lovely to get a little six-episode thing following Rose, or Rani, Clyde and Jo on an adventure, or a proper mad thing in space with the Moxx of Balhoon and Dorium fighting Slitheen.

Midas

jamiefairlie

Quote from: daf on November 25, 2023, 12:59:31 PMThe Paternoster Gang

Big Finish do this (of course they bloody do!), but I think there'd be potential for some good solid Victorian London sleuthing and Strax slapstick for the tiddlers.

Aye, this is the best current BF Who line. I mean it's really just Jago & Lightfoot continued but I'm OK with that.

Midas

Maybe this malarkey is part of that previously reported villains anthology series? I dunno, I can't picture the Sea Devils facilitating compelling drama over an extended period of time. They're good at emerging from the sea and running over minefields; that's about it.

pigamus

Mister Six

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 25, 2023, 12:02:29 PMhttps://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14316420

Companies House listing for The War Between Ltd., registered at Wolf Studios Wales and Jane Tranter along the directors.

They're doing a different company for each miniseries? I assume there's some clever tax reason for this, but it sounds like a right pain in the arse.

Ambient Sheep

Sorry, but I just saw this on Twitter, in the midst of an anti-Chibnall thread, and just had to share it...

Quote...The Battle of Ranky Ass Colons...

:-D

Jerzy Bondov

Copying Marvel doesn't look so appealing now the MCU is dying on its arse because they did too many shit tv shows. I'm not holding out hope for any of the spin-off shows being worth a look, but as always I'll be there for the main series. Looking forward to being a toxic hater tonight ☺️

Ambient Sheep

Actually, just read the rest of that thread and, along with many criticisms that have been aired on our threads here (13's treatment of Yaz especially), there's a bunch of evidence presented to claim that 13 is racist.

No, not just the "Now they'll see you as you really are" bit, but a whole bunch of stuff, e.g. the repeated deliberate mis-pronunciation of Tzim Sha's name:

Quote...she keeps calling him Tim Shaw. Knowing that that's not his name. Replace Tzim Sha with just any human non-white sounding name. The moment becomes less funny and more cringey.

and then

QuoteOK, another instance is in Demons of the Punjab. She assumes that the Thajarians are assassins based off of their history and treats them as such.....even though she admits she's never come across one herself and didn't even bother to assume that hey.....maybe their culture changed at some point in their history.

She just kind of sees two of them over a dead body, thinks about some stories she's heard, and then makes an assumption based off her preconceived notions. And then says "I don't understand" why they tell her "yeah girl, we don't kill people no more".

It's just a weird thing for the Doctor, who is supposed to be accepting of everyone, to just write off an alien race that she has never met before.

(Lightly edited for typos and paragraphing.)

There's more, but some interesting thoughts there... even if today isn't the best day to be posting this, sorry!

Ambient Sheep

Nobody courageous enough to start a new thread?

Seems silly to start the RTD #2 era with six pages to go.

I'd do it myself but I'm shit at thread titles and would just put

Doctor Who - Series 14: Tennant's extra / Ncuti stars - Part 2

which would be boring...

Mister Six

Not really interested in spin-offs, to be honest. Doctor Who is just such a brilliant idea for a series that anything that isn't adventures in time and space with a brilliant weirdo seems pointless. I certainly don't find the universe that's accrued around The Doctor that compelling when they're not in the picture.

Children of Earth was good, but not because of the Torchwood bits that were obviously just trowelled onto a pre-existing miniseries concept.

I'll watch it all, obviously, just to talk about it on here.

Might even watch Class at some point if it turns up on Disney.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on November 25, 2023, 06:25:57 PMNobody courageous enough to start a new thread?

Seems silly to start the RTD #2 era with six pages to go.

I'd do it myself but I'm shit at thread titles and would just put

Doctor Who - Series 14: Tennant's extra / Ncuti stars - Part 2

which would be boring...

All right, give me a minute. Can't say I'll come up with a better title than that though. :p

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Mister Six

Ambient Sheep

Don't be.  It's good enough.

Anyway, my fault for not suggesting it with more than five minutes to go!  (I meant to say something yesterday but forgot.)

Am just glad you did it. :)

Glebe

Quote from: pigamus on November 25, 2023, 04:16:43 PMWhither Replies? Did he flounce?

Vanished a little while ago without so much as a by your leave. Hope he's doing okay.

GoblinAhFuckScary

daf

The gargoyles got him under the shadow proclamation for nicking their milk bags.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: daf on November 25, 2023, 12:59:31 PMSo what Spinoffs do we want?
Six Angry Men and Six Perfectly Calm, Rational Women

RTD's remake of Twelve Angry Men, updated for our more enlightened times. Starring Tracy-Ann Oberman as Juror Eight, with Rachel Riley in her acting debut as Juror Four.

How is this a Doctor Who Monster spinoff? Well it features the most evil and destructive race of monsters in the universe - Man men.

Oh, and its set in the future and the entire thing takes place on Space Twitter.