Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 14: Tennant's extra / Ncuti stars

Started by Mister Six, November 24, 2022, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

JamesTC

I see that the opening Fourteenth Doctor story in DWM, Liberation of the Daleks, has The Doctor arrive at the 1966 World Cup final.

Makes me wonder which other major sporting events The Doctor has been at. The 8th Doctor was in Istanbul in May 2005 for the Champions League final. The Tenth Doctor carried the torch at the 2012 olympics. Any others?

superthunderstingcar

Maybe it was at the 1936 Olympics where the Doctor met the "bounder" Hitler?

JamesTC

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 24, 2022, 08:24:40 PMhttps://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/The_Church_of_Football_(short_story)

The Fifth Doctor takes Peri to the 1936 FA Cup final.

That sent me down the rabbit hole.

Forgotten that in 2004's The Next Life it has The Doctor lament the quality of the Liverpool 13-14 squad despite the fact that they actually did quite well that season and only fell short of winning the title in the last few games. Maybe he actually meant squad depth and he thinks with a bit more they'd have gotten over the line. Yes, that is clearly what he meant when he said it in 2004.

Turns out The Ninth Doctor and The Eleventh Doctor have also been at the 1966 World Cup final. Bloody hell. Is there any cunt in there who isn't The Doctor?

Replies From View

Puts me off Doctor Who a bit to think of them being into PE.  I know the eleventh doctor was into his football, the fifth was a cricket player and the third doctor plundered around in changing rooms for his tattoo-sharing perks but come on.  PE is for too-cool buff lads, not gawky geeky Doctor Who fans, and never the twain shall wane.

guppypie

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2022, 08:00:03 PMI see that the opening Fourteenth Doctor story in DWM, Liberation of the Daleks, has The Doctor arrive at the 1966 World Cup final.

Makes me wonder which other major sporting events The Doctor has been at. The 8th Doctor was in Istanbul in May 2005 for the Champions League final. The Tenth Doctor carried the torch at the 2012 olympics. Any others?

Apparently 13's been to the Liverpool vs Barcelona game nine times, was a ball boy for Trent and loves Jürgen Klopp. 10 also said he went to the original Olympic Games in Ancient Greece.
The Doctor being into sport always seems a bit incongruous and forced, like even though they have all of time and space at their disposal they still love Ingerland. I do prefer 11's "is that the one with the sticks?" bafflement. He did trounce James Corden in pub league straight after that which was the best of both worlds really.

grainger

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2022, 08:40:53 PMTurns out The Ninth Doctor and The Eleventh Doctor have also been at the 1966 World Cup final.

Why do I picture the eleventh doctor being at the final in a much more annoying way than the ninth?

grainger

Quote from: Replies From View on November 24, 2022, 08:51:23 PMPE is for too-cool buff lads,

There never was, and never will be, anything cool about being into PE.

Replies From View

Speaking of PE, why have loads of people recently gone to Qatar to do their PE?  Isn't there a more local leisure centre they could use?

Blofelds Cat

Quote from: guppypie on November 24, 2022, 09:11:16 PMApparently 13's been to the Liverpool vs Barcelona game nine times, was a ball boy for Trent and loves Jürgen Klopp.

Fitting that this coincided with the schittest, appallingly written and acted periods in the show's history...

Norton Canes

What does "I was a ball-boy for Trent" even mean? Trent Alexander-Arnold obviously but players don't each have their own ball-boys, do they? Their own ball-boys, who only fetch the ball when they kick it out of play? 

JamesTC

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 24, 2022, 10:10:28 PMWhat does "I was a ball-boy for Trent" even mean? Trent Alexander-Arnold obviously but players don't each have their own ball-boys, do they? Their own ball-boys, who only fetch the ball when they kick it out of play? 

There was a famous goal where a ball boy (Oakley Cannonier - he also plays for the club) threw the ball back quickly so Trent could take his corner quickly and catch the Barcelona defence off guard and allow Origi to score the winner.

It is worded as if everybody knows of the goal without considering some in the audience might not be know about football.

daf

Ball Ball Ball
Footie Footie Footie
Ball Ball Ball
FOOTBALL!

Norton Canes

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2022, 10:19:17 PMThere was a famous goal where a ball boy (Oakley Cannonier - he also plays for the club) threw the ball back quickly so Trent could take his corner quickly and catch the Barcelona defence off guard and allow Origi to score the winner.

It is worded as if everybody knows of the goal without considering some in the audience might not be know about football

It's worded as if Chris Chibnall couldn't write something as simple as "I threw the ball back to Trent once"

daf

Norton Canes

Ugh. Feel dirty now, had to Google details of a Liverpool football match. And as if that wasn't bad enough I clicked a link without paying attention and ended up on The S*n's website. Though it did remind me that after going on to win the CL that season Jurgen Klopp led his merry band to victory in that year's World Cup Final... in Qatar 

Sorry. Doctor Who...

McDead

Quote from: grainger on November 24, 2022, 09:30:25 PMWhy do I picture the eleventh doctor being at the final in a much more annoying way than the ninth?

Because the eleventh Doctor is a showboating twat who never has a single unexpressed thought.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Alberon on November 24, 2022, 04:21:24 PM

More expression on the doll, but I haven't a clue who her friend is supposed to be.

Oh fucking hell that's meant to be FourTennant. Fucking Christ alive, they just reused his head from the 2005 figure. Oh bloody hell.

daf

JamesTC

I've heard it was a bad paint job which they have now fixed for the finalised model.

petril

Replies From View

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 25, 2022, 08:22:00 AMOh fucking hell that's meant to be FourTennant. Fucking Christ alive, they just reused his head from the 2005 figure. Oh bloody hell.

I've only just twigged that it's meant to be Tennant.  Astonishing.  Genuinely assumed it was a wonky Bradley Walsh or someone else in the peripherals.

Never knew the 2005 figure looked so bad.  I assumed I'd have seen it before but seemingly not, as I'd have remembered.

Honestly if someone had handed it to me on the street I'd have taken it as a spare Martin Freeman from the Hitchhiker's movie.  That iconic sequence where his dressing gown is made of leather.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 25, 2022, 08:22:00 AMOh fucking hell that's meant to be FourTennant. Fucking Christ alive, they just reused his head from the 2005 figure. Oh bloody hell.

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2022, 12:18:25 PMI've only just twigged that it's meant to be Tennant.  Astonishing. 

Blimey, did people honestly not know? I mean, it's a shite model that looks less than nothing like Tennant, but who else in Doctor Who is dressed (a bit) like that?

Mister Six

Quote from: Thomas on November 25, 2022, 01:48:35 PMThe Day of the Doctor is so good, and so well told, that I am willing to draft some 'headcanon' in to mend those patches. What we see is a human-friendly depiction of war - lots of guns and bricks and a barn - but I'm happy to imagine that this is almost some simplified visual translation of the real Time War mess, with its unimaginable Nightmare Child et al.

It's fine to view it as is, I think. The full war was insane and unimaginable to the human brain (and probably unseeable by the human eye) but that climax in Gallifrey occurred in standard 4D space.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on November 25, 2022, 01:41:41 PMBlimey, did people honestly not know? I mean, it's a shite model that looks less than nothing like Tennant, but who else in Doctor Who is dressed (a bit) like that?

The clothes were onscreen for all of ten seconds or something and in my memory it was a suit with a long coat more or less like his old days, as opposed to pyjamas and a leather dressing gown.

Replies From View

In fact I'm trying really hard to find myself wrong here but I have no memories of any leather dressing gowns up to this point in my life.  It seems the wrong material for a dressing gown if I may be so bold.

Mister Six

I forget that people haven't pored over promo images as much as I have.

Replies From View

Mister Six

Very good.

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2022, 04:59:53 PMFirst of all there's no character development for Whittaker's Doctor however you cut it.

Yes there was! First she was all fretful and nervy, then she was all fretful and nervy because she discovered she had a load of hidden memories, and then that was it.