Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 14: Tennant's extra / Ncuti stars

Started by Mister Six, November 24, 2022, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on November 24, 2022, 08:00:03 PMI see that the opening Fourteenth Doctor story in DWM, Liberation of the Daleks, has The Doctor arrive at the 1966 World Cup final.

Makes me wonder which other major sporting events The Doctor has been at. The 8th Doctor was in Istanbul in May 2005 for the Champions League final. The Tenth Doctor carried the torch at the 2012 olympics. Any others?

Saw this last night

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Replies From View on November 24, 2022, 03:59:40 PMWhy is that Whittaker photo even there

Because, like it or not, she's part of the show's history. And a better Doc than Tennant.

Midas

Midas

Midas

In the new series, one of the monsters could be an amorphous, multicoloured blob made from all the action figures melted together, and it could chase everyone around like Rover

Mister Six

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 25, 2022, 10:03:54 PMBecause, like it or not, she's part of the show's history. And a better Doc than Tennant.

Tennant is already two better Doctors than Whittaker, and now he's going for the hat trick.

Malcy

Quote from: Midas on November 25, 2022, 10:15:28 PMIn the new series, one of the monsters could be an amorphous, multicoloured blob made from all the action figures melted together, and it could chase everyone around like Rover

The Return of Peter Kay...

Replies From View

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 25, 2022, 10:03:54 PMBecause, like it or not, she's part of the show's history. And a better Doc than Tennant.

There aren't solo photos of all the other Doctors though, are there.  It seemed odd (until I learned that they were specifically advertising a new action figure) to have a photo of the previous Doctor from the previous showrunner's final episode bundled in with an all-new revival of the show and the new logo.

Don't agree?

Replies From View

Quote from: Midas on November 25, 2022, 10:15:28 PMIn the new series, one of the monsters could be an amorphous, multicoloured blob made from all the action figures melted together, and it could chase everyone around like Rover

Like that Rimmer monster in a series 11 episode of Red Dwarf.

Mister Six

Big dose of chinny reckon, but The Mirror says...

EXCLUSIVE: Doctor Who villains Cybermen and Daleks to get spin-off series in huge Disney deal

Doctor Who adversaries such as the Cybermen and Daleks are to get their own series, an insider says.

Showrunner Russell T Davies is pushing ahead with plans to expand the "Whoniverse" with Marvel-style spin-offs.

It comes after the BBC struck a deal with Disney+ worth "tens of millions"last month.

The Beeb sold the US giant the global streaming rights to Doctor Who outside the UK. The deal means budgets on the 2024 series starring the 15th Doctor, Ncuti Gatwa, could triple.

A source said: "Fans can expect to see Sontarans, Weeping Angels and Sea Devils in separate series showing what they get up to when the Doctor isn't there to stop them, along with Daleks and Cybermen."

Speaking last year Davies said that these exciting new projects were part of what lured him back to the BBC - and he suggested there was even scope for a Doctor Who dedicated channel.

"There are things coming up that are brand new ways of telling stories that have never been done before," he explained. "So it just feels new, I wouldn't have gone back if it wasn't feeling new."

The showrunner already has form for expanding the Doctor Who universe - in his first tenure as the re-boot boss from 2005 he was behind Torchwood, starring John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness and The Sarah Jane Adventures, featuring Elisabeth Sladen in the title role.

"We should be sitting here announcing The Nyssa Adventures or The Return of Donna Noble," Davies said last year.

"The whole science fiction world is so creative and so money-making right now, I think your wildest dreams can come true."

His ambitions sit well with the Disney strategy of maximising content within franchises by creating a whole expanded universe of overlapping characters and timeframes.

Former showrunner Stephen Moffat expressed concerns after he left in 2017 that without bigger budgets, Doctor Who would be left behind by shows like Game of Thrones.

"A show that generates as much money as Doctor Who should be getting more of it back, frankly," he declared.

Disney Plus has capitalised on Star Wars and Marvel with spin-off series including Andor, The Mandolorian and Loki.

The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans.

Obvious bollocks (a series about "what the Weeping Angels get up to"? Fuck off) but at least the news media are getting excited about Who again. I wonder if this was made up wholesale, or whether someone on the production team made up some bollocks to keep Who in the papers?

Replies From View

The projected possible spin-offs, whether it's At Home With The Weeping Angels or the Nyssa Adventures are all pulled out of the air at this stage just to give an idea of the basic gist.  They're all bullshit in the sense that nothing has a tangible plan or intention behind it.  The core story is true but the surface details are just "we could do this or this or this if we wanted for example".

The article ends with "The BBC said it was too early to comment on any plans" which I think is what should be taken away at the moment.

daf

Yeah, there's nothing new in there - all extrapolated out of the old 'Tales of Nyssa' quotes.

Tharries (from Youtube) had a nice spinoff idea which could be done at any point in the future when/if Matt Smith fancies it - "Tales of Trenzalore".

No prosthetic make up required - as he was there for . . . (checks notes) . . . 900 years! So he could do a series every 10 years or so and it would still make perfect sense as he's meant to be aging.

Alberon

And that could lead into Doctor Who's 100th anniversary special.

Replies From View

It's easy to imagine short episodes of the Daleks planning attacks and things, that work between main Doctor Who episodes or series.  Like Mission to the Unknown and loads of fan projects.  But the odd bonus episode aside, I'm not sure whether they're in the best position to sustain a spin-off series, because they thrive on the impact of coming back to Doctor Who in modified forms with new surprises up their sleeves (which they have). 

Disney+ has short additional scenes within their MCU catalogue so there's hopefully plenty of scope for that kind of one-off short story model rather than it being a committed 10 part series every time.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on November 26, 2022, 07:52:12 AMAnd that could lead into Doctor Who's 100th anniversary special.

2063.  A year in which I will either be 83 or dead.

Fuck's sake

Alberon

Replies From View

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 25, 2022, 10:31:14 PMThere aren't solo photos of all the other Doctors though, are there.  It seemed odd (until I learned that they were specifically advertising a new action figure) to have a photo of the previous Doctor from the previous showrunner's final episode bundled in with an all-new revival of the show and the new logo.

Don't agree?
That's a photo of her as the Master, though, isn't it?

Replies From View

I don't think that changes my point at a fundamental or surface level.  It's the actress who played the previous Doctor during a tenure we need distance from, and she's wearing a load of classic Doctor garb as if she's the current incarnation paying tribute to the past for the 60th.  That's how it reads with the new logo there, without detailed knowledge of Chibnall's final episode.

Taken as promotion for RTD's upcoming relaunch it's just odd that's all.  Understanding that it's just promoting an action figure helps, but it's still a weird thing within this moment.

BritishHobo

I could see one series focusing on a Pandorica-style plot where the monsters all have to work together to prevent a threat in the Doctor's absence. And I could easily see that getting lost in translation to 'there'll be a series on the Daleks, and one on the Cybermen, and one on the Slitheen...'

Either way, it's lovely to see the stupid tabloid speculation again. I'm sure it probably did happen during Moffat/Chibnall's eras, but didn't feel like it had the feverish excitement it did for RTD's Who. Constant reports of 'Billie Piper will play the next Doctor!!'

Ambient Sheep

I'll be a fortnight off 99, and very very probably dead.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 26, 2022, 09:11:59 AMI don't think that changes my point at a fundamental or surface level.  It's the actress who played the previous Doctor during a tenure we need distance from, and she's wearing a load of classic Doctor garb as if she's the current incarnation paying tribute to the past for the 60th.  That's how it reads with the new logo there, without detailed knowledge of Chibnall's final episode.

Taken as promotion for RTD's upcoming relaunch it's just odd that's all.  Understanding that it's just promoting an action figure helps, but it's still a weird thing within this moment.

Yes, what I'm saying is, with knowledge of Chibnall's final episode, it's even odder. The Master, wearing Two's troughsers, Four's scarf, Five's celery, Seven's tank top, Ten's tie, Eleven's boots, Twelve's shirt, and Thirteen's coat and face.

Replies From View

I hope the action figure is correctly labelled to reflect that.

I can't be bothered to check again:  did Whittaker keep all that garb on until her regeneration scene or was it exclusively the Master's costume choice?

Camp Tramp

It would be very easy to make a UNIT show on Disney. Could have a proper international cast as well.

daf

Quote from: Replies From View on November 26, 2022, 10:54:25 AMI can't be bothered to check again:  did Whittaker keep all that garb on until her regeneration scene or was it exclusively the Master's costume choice?

Just had a look, she's in that costume when she's in the left perspex box after the Masters head turns into her's, and says something like "what did I miss, and what am I wearing?"

By the next scene in the TARDIS, she's changed back - so she's in the mish-mash costume for about a minute.

Replies From View

A minute is quite a long scene in the world of Chibnall Who.  I don't think the Doctor even spent that long in the matrix having the Timeless Child explained to her, although it felt far longer.

Replies From View

Quote from: Camp Tramp on November 26, 2022, 10:57:58 AMIt would be very easy to make a UNIT show on Disney. Could have a proper international cast as well.

Is UNIT worth any excitement when it's not the Brig and pals though?

Genuine question.  I find the actress currently leading UNIT such a monotonous, uncharismatic void who forms no chemistry with any version of the Doctor or any other characters.  She sounds like someone slapping a lower-pitched bongo drum; I don't know what they are called.  Or the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons.  There was a similar person in the film Tenet - the woman who explains all the backwards bullets stuff to the main character.  I was watching it thinking what the fuck kind of performance choice is this.

The synth noise used for the pigeon coos in Pigeon Street is more expressive.

Replies From View

sure you don't want to go for another take mate?  lots of money being spent on getting this movie right, shall we leave it then, just leave it like that yeah?  right-o

daf

Method acting innit - since Michael Caine, there's been a trend for actors to underplay - so they don't come across like McCoy chewing the scenery in Time and The Rani.

It's in soaps a lot - Phil Mitchel whispering and mumbling - thinking this is how real people talk.