Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Man guilty of owning racist dog [merged]

Started by Paulie Walnuts, March 20, 2018, 01:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Do we actually know why he was arrested in the first place? Who accused him?

Barry Admin

biggytitbo

I thought there had been no accuser? Wasn't it the police themselves who decided to charge him?

idunnosomename

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 23, 2018, 12:40:19 PM
I thought there had been no accuser? Wasn't it the police themselves who decided to charge him?

Well I guess so. Because it went so popular? It could have been anonymous tip off of course. Just wondered if he had any enemies who'd report him to the police "for the lols".

Anyway I just think under the law he is guilty of an offense. Here is the sentencing: http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/8/1962/PF-v-Mark-Meechan

I really don't see this as a slippery slope for comedy. I see the point how it normalises offensive anti-semitism. It's not even like the Brass Eye Holocaust board game they decided not to go with. There's no joke. It's just saying something offensive over and over and having trained an animal to react positively to it. Any argument that you couldn't do this in Nazi Germany seems moot. It certainly could be seen as inciting racial hatred.

What if someone trained their parrot to say "behead those who insult Islam?" Would the alt-right be all crying for freedom of speech there?

Barry Admin

It is indeed a joke, it's shot and edited like a joke, the footage of the dog sitting watching a Hitler rally is very definitely a joke.

Whether or not you find it to be a funny joke is another matter.

BlodwynPig

It wasn't comedy though. "Hey, here's a video of me beating a tramp to death, for the Lolz...comedy, mate"

Barry Admin

Barry Admin

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 23, 2018, 12:55:29 PM
It is, it's pretty funny.

can you describe the humour - is it merely anthropomorphic dog watching hitler?

Barry Admin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 23, 2018, 12:57:06 PM
can you describe the humour - is it merely anthropomorphic dog watching hitler?

There's a mirror here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zERViynKzZM

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 23, 2018, 12:59:56 PM
There's a mirror here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zERViynKzZM

"glass of juice?"

"do you want a glass of juice?"

ok, it is pretty funny, the dog's worn expression that is.

Bhazor

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 23, 2018, 12:51:05 PM

Anyway I just think under the law he is guilty of an offense. Here is the sentencing: http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/8/1962/PF-v-Mark-Meechan

What are you telling me he didn't go to jail? That he got a standard fine? The kind of fine you'd get for daubing racist epitaphs in a shops public toilet and refusing to remove it? Y'know, like what he basically did?

I was told he was getting the death penalty.

itsfredtitmus

Have to have a license nowadays to be a racist

biggytitbo

The whole scenario and framing obviously singles it out as an attempt at a joke, I don't really see how its possible to construe it as anything else unless your thinking is incredibly wonky.

Bhazor

The only thing that can stop a bad racist is a good racist.

idunnosomename

No I hadn't watched it, but yeah I actually found it more disturbing than I thought. A grown man saying "gas the Jews" over and over to a confused dog on his own in his flat and filming it and putting it on YouTube. Kin hell. Grow up lad. And saying  I'm not a racist" hardly helps your case mate.

If he'd got a custodial sentence it would've been over the top but I can see why, under the law, it crosses the line into "grossly offensive".

But I don't think it is ideal for stupid shit like this to have gone to court. All that should happen is YouTube take it down. He could host it privately if he wants. And it could be used as evidence in a wider charge of racial hatred. But he knew he was being extremely offensive and it's not a crisis for free speech now he's been sentenced.

Had it been taken down from YouTube when he was charged?

itsfredtitmus

probably got 800 pound on the views from the dog video and his new found exposure

itsfredtitmus

why cant i be an internet celeb for mocking the holocaust

idunnosomename

You need to hang out with more racists man

Howj Begg

Barry Admin

Quote from: Bhazor on April 23, 2018, 01:19:14 PM
The kind of fine you'd get for daubing racist epitaphs in a shops public toilet and refusing to remove it? Y'know, like what he basically did?

This is a false equivalence, which is why you've had to say they're "basically" the same.

itsfredtitmus

Would have been funnier if he said gas the jews race war now 1488 and then the dog had a shit

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bhazor on April 23, 2018, 01:19:14 PM
What are you telling me he didn't go to jail? That he got a standard fine? The kind of fine you'd get for daubing racist epitaphs in a shops public toilet and refusing to remove it? Y'know, like what he basically did?

What a rather absurd thing to say.

Cuellar

Alright it'd be like someone writing 'Gas the jews ;)' in a public place.

Or 'Gas the jews lol jk'

Cold Meat Platter

I think David Mitchell and Robert Webb should now be arrested for dressing up as nazis in their sketch show.

jobotic

For that sketch in which they just said "gas the Jews" and laughed?

Barry Admin

And the poster on here who repurposed the "please gas this house of cunts" tag that was originally used for a Big Brother thread.