Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Crap Band TV Show Mentions

Started by checkoutgirl, November 14, 2016, 11:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: phantom_power on November 16, 2016, 10:40:43 AM
I don't believe Linehan is a true fan if he thinks it is possible to hear everything they've ever done. Or is that another layer of the joke?
I think that's definitely an in-joke for any fans watching.

Gulftastic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 16, 2016, 11:12:29 AM
"Hey is that, the Flaming Lips?"

"It's not Michael Bolton."

"That's for sure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdeYBUt8Wo

Bolton did pop up a lot in 'Two & A Half Men' towards the end, playing himself.

Speaking of which, The Bangles featured in an early episode of 'Gilmore Girls', and are responsible for me watching the show. That show featured many bands. Sparks popped up at one point.

phantom_power

Quote from: Phil_A on November 16, 2016, 12:07:28 PM
GBV are also a weird choice for a typical "nerd" band. Would've been more believable if she'd said They Might Be Giants or something of that ilk.

GBV are a band for obsessive collectors though, a typical nerd trait. Plus Linehan genuinely loves them I think. As well he should

Rocket Surgery

Rush were/are seriously crap, but they were good sports for playing along with all that Trailer Park Boys malarkey.

Gulftastic

Reg Hollis in The Bill bonded with a woman over their shared love of 'Tears For Fears'.

purlieu

Tears for Fears, however, are definitely not a crap band.

Glebe

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 19, 2016, 02:31:48 PMRobert Smith was in the A Team.

That's not Robert Smith! It's Rick Astley!

'Crap' is a little harsh, but here's Anthrax on Married... with Children.

KennyMonster

Stewie Griffin slags off Jesus Jones in a Family Guy episode, (can't find a clip, it's one where Stewie tries to find The BBC but gets on the wrong plane and ends up in Saudi Arabia).

I always thought the comment was a bit harsh and out of nowhere when I first saw it.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: KennyMonster on December 05, 2016, 06:21:39 AM
Stewie Griffin slags off Jesus Jones in a Family Guy episode, (can't find a clip, it's one where Stewie tries to find The BBC but gets on the wrong plane and ends up in Saudi Arabia).I always thought the comment was a bit harsh and out of nowhere when I first saw it.

"A bit harsh and out of nowhere" sums up most Family Guy jokes.

An episode of "Clarissa Explains it all" revolves around her bagging "backstage passes to meet Pearl Jam". Not sure how it ends.

Gulftastic

They also get a mention in the first 'Brady Bunch' movie, with Marsha said to being harder to get into than a Pearl Jam concert.

Depressed Beyond Tables

GG Allin had a walk on part as a neighbour in ALF.

Phil_A

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 05, 2016, 05:04:37 PM
They also get a mention in the first 'Brady Bunch' movie, with Marsha said to being harder to get into than a Pearl Jam concert.

Eddie Vedder is also name-checked at the start of none-more-dated cyberfest Hackers, as the name Johnny Lee Miller uses to trick a security guard who is just too darn unhip to pick up on the kind of cool alternative reference that all the characters in Hackers make constantly, because they're all so cool and alternative.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on November 19, 2016, 02:05:19 PM
Rush were/are seriously crap, but they were good sports for playing along with all that Trailer Park Boys malarkey.

Seb Bach from Skid Row showed up at one point. As a model railway enthusiast. I don't think that they were a crap band though. I liked them

Dr Syntax Head

In an episode of Neighbours (now this is from distant memory) one of the characters looked vexed and toadfish says to him something like 'It looks like you lost a (good album, can't remember which) but found a Pseudo Echo album'

Pseudo Echo covered Funky Town by the way

easytarget

Kane Jones

Slave To The Grind was Skid Row's finest hour. Toadfish probably doesn't agree with me though.

non capisco

I remember a teenage girl character on Neighbours describing Nick Cave as "a spunk".

Also I think there might have been a storyline on either Neighbours or Home And Away where someone won a competition to meet the bloke who sang "You're the voice, try and understand it, make a noise and make it clear, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh. We're not gonna sit in silence, we're not gonna live in fear, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh" whose name escapes me. Either that or the bloke who sang "You're the voice, try and understand it, make a noise and make it clear, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh. We're not gonna sit in silence, we're not gonna live in fear, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, woh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh" visited an ill character because they were a fan.

mr beepbap

was always good when they said 'spunk' in Neighbours. Usually was the school kids who would wear their school uniforms 24/7

hewantstolurkatad

I'm never sure whether Smash Mouth being the band that turn up at the end of Rat Race was a joke about how they were seemingly on every soundtrack around that time. The fact it came out after but was likely shot before Shrek came out makes it a 50-50.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Kane Jones on December 06, 2016, 08:37:12 PM
Slave To The Grind was Skid Row's finest hour. Toadfish probably doesn't agree with me though.

Crackin' album. By far the best of that LA 90s hard rock stuff that was still waiting to be killed off by grunge

Gulftastic

Another Boy George one.

In Tom Hanks comedy 'Bachelor Party' he is described as having to cancel a concert due to having a yeast infection.

AsparagusTrevor

I remember an early episode of Smallville where Remy Zero, the band who provide the show's theme-tune and nothing else anyone remembers, appear playing said tune live at a prom attended by the main characters. Just in case we missed it, one of the characters helpfully shouts "YEAH! REMY ZERO!"

Quote from: Special K on November 14, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
I've no idea if they are crap or not but weren't Carcass mentioned in Friends?

Yes they are mentioned by Phoebe in an episode.

Carcass are a legendary band in metal circles, probably one of the most influential bands of the last 25 years (in certain sub genres) and definitely not crap.

Noddy Tomkey

I remember a huge Pearl Jam poster on Bolton's wall in Heartbreak High. Wow, what a show that was!

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteIn 1976, I saw ELO at the Birmingham NEC. I was there shouting with everyone else "Come back on, ELO, and carry on playing!

All fine, except ELO have never been a crap band so screw you old bean.

Black_Bart

QuoteCarcass are a legendary band in metal circles, probably one of the most influential bands of the last 25 years (in certain sub genres) and definitely not crap.

Not crap, but maybe over-rated.

Gulftastic

I see it as the bands themselves not being crap, just the actual mentions.

easytarget

Quote from: Black_Bart on December 11, 2016, 02:50:34 PM
Not crap, but maybe over-rated.
I can't think of a better band that came out of Liverpool
(maybe HMHB)