Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,188
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Everybody's Talking About Jamie (2021)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 20, 2021, 08:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Film version of the hit West End musical all about a sixteen year old boy (Max Harwood) who wants to be a drag queen, though his estranged father (Ralph Ineson) disapproves and his careers teacher (Sharon Horgan) is against him turning up in drag at the school prom. They released a recording of the stage version at the start of the pandemic and I really loved it, though not many of the cast members have made it up on to the big screen and I'm not sure that's always a good thing, Sarah Lancashire's great as his mum and Harwood's a strong lead but Richard E. Grant replaces Phil Nichol as Hugo / Loco Chanelle and when it comes to the singing he's nowhere near as good. The new song with vocals by Holly Johnson is fine but little more than that, and I'm really surprised they cut the enormously fun "The Legend of Loco Chanelle (And the Blood Red Dress)" and the very touching "If I Met Myself Again" as they're two of my favourites from the musical and it's a lesser work without them and a couple of others which are weirdly missing. The manner in which the songs are filmed is largely fine, the opening song and "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" are filled with energy, but at other times they feel like they could have been shot in a slightly more memorable way, and the direction as a whole is competent but rarely more than that. I'd give the stage version 8.0/10, but the film version only gets 7.0/10.

Lost Oliver

I love seeing these posters around London. Great fat smile on my lips as I sail down the escalator.

peanutbutter

Ahhh, I see it starting on the west end coincided directly with the start of me being in London a lot. I figured the way its posters never disappeared meant it was some kind of absolutely massive mainstay of the west end but I guess it was just at the very start of its cycle.