Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sugar

Started by CaledonianGonzo, June 12, 2012, 10:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

Quote from: MojoJojo on August 23, 2012, 09:33:20 PM
Hmmm, looking into it you're half right - an average Tesco sandwich pack seems to go from 350-450. But you can packs over 700 (and if I'm buying a sandwich, I tend to end up going to the higher end, because why would I buy a cheese and pickle sandwich if I have to pay £2+ for it?... but this is why I am fat)
Not that much. Or at least it will take you a while to burn significantly more for as long as an hour. The actual amount you burn unfortunately depend a lot on your cardiovascular  fitness. If you don't any exercise now it will take you a while (a few weeks) before you can burn 600 calories an hour for an hour.Yes.

(quick rant - this is missing the point a bit. It's right but the people who go on about it have never had to lose significant weight, I feel. The real thing about diets is that a diet[nb]diet as in a modern weight loss diet - I used to have a 1920s cookbook which had a diet section split into two sections, a Weight loss section and a Weight gain section. Toast water - yum yum[/nb] breaks a bad eating habit. A dramatic change is far easier to keep than a vague "have a few less chips on your plate". The problem is breaking a bad habit is not the same as establishing a good habit - most diet books do have stuff about getting into a good habit (atkins has 3 stages) but most people ignore it and go back into eating too much)

Ha Tesco's schmesco's. The sarnies in M&S are about 200-400 and i regularly get one that's about 240 and one thats 320. Neither are even in their low calorie range either. Mind you I spend far too much money on that crap by being too lazy to make a lunch most days..

Yes it takes a while to get up to burning a decent amount, but if you are cutting back on food a bit it works out.

Violent Ken

Quote from: Milo on August 23, 2012, 03:09:55 PM
This, and the remainder of the post, does seem to imply that exercise has no impact on metabolism.
Huh???  Yet from the same post -

Quote from: Violent Ken on August 23, 2012, 01:48:47 PM
If you "exercise more" all thats going to happen for the vast majority of people is you are going to get more hungry. 

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on August 23, 2012, 03:05:20 PM
That's because they're still eating too much. You know fat people lie about how much they eat, right?

Agreed, yes fat people most likely are eating too much.  But the reason fat people overeat is because they are fat, and their body therefore has a higher calorific requirement.  Its not the other way round.  The reason they got fat in the first place was through the type of (poor) food choices they made and the metabolic effect that the food had on their body (ie preferentially storing fat instead of burning it) - not so much the volume of food.  Its consumption of empty refined carbs, pasta, sugar, wheat, bread, pop, etc which causes weight gain due to blood glucose > insulin > stored fat. 

These kind of foods cause people to become insulin and leptin resistant which means overweight people never get the sensation of being full which leads to further overeating and the likelihood of diabetes.  The cycle of high blood sugar followed by an inevitable crash in blood sugar also means you're going to be locked into a constant cycle of eating because you are hungry a couple of hours after every meal. 

You can eat pretty much eat all you like of vegetables, bacon, eggs, meat, fish and healthy sources of fat, including lots of saturated, and you are very unlikely to gain weight because these foods don't cause an insulin response.  And you wont overeat them because they result in satiety.

Quote from: thugler on August 23, 2012, 06:10:11 PM
You cannot argue that eating less and exercising more doesn't work.

Sure, a calorie deficit will work initially, but its not an effective long term strategy for weight loss or sanity.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Violent Ken on August 24, 2012, 02:34:41 AM
You can pretty much eat all you like

Which is just a bad mentality to have IMO (though I know you don't mean it literally). It might work when you are eating from a very specific group of foods, but just isn't a rule to live life by. it's one of the ones that resulted in people getting overweight in the first place.

I've found that if I stick to 3 meals a day of the things I like and crave, but make sure I'm roughly around the 2200 to 2500 calories mark, then my weight doesn't change. (barring the gradual increase as I've gotten older)

It changes most when I go without exercise, though ironically this is typically when I tend to eat more, as there is a psychological effect of being "off the wagon"

Exercise and enjoying every meal time are a great framework for my life

I eat plenty of meat and some veg, but I eat an equal amount of pasta, bread and potatoes. This means I have to manually switch off at a point I think I've had enough, because as you allude to, it is easy to overeat on some of these foods. For me it was about learning when to switch off so that in 30 minutes time, I would feel satisfied rather than full. That's taken a while to learn, but my weight crept up  when I took a sit down job years ago and could no longer eat "as much as I wanted" and burn it off digging holes

If someone is eating a sensible amount and getting exercise but wants to lose weight then, in retrospect, my advice to them wouldn't be to eat less and exercise more, it would be to learn to love themselves for what they are

Milo

If you "exercise more" all thats going to happen for the vast majority of people is you are going to get more hungry. 

You.. I... I don't think you know what metabolism means in this context. Getting more hungry due to the body using more calories isn't what I'd consider a metabolic effect. A metabolic effect, as an example, might be that the body exhibits more/less sensitivity to insulin.

Violent Ken

Quote from: Milo on August 24, 2012, 08:10:11 AM
Getting more hungry due to the body using more calories isn't what I'd consider a metabolic effect.

Ha, so metabolism and hunger are independent!?  Oh dear Milo.  If you say so, boss.

Milo

Heh, I think I'll leave it there. It all feels way too tense and like an argument rather than a discussion. I'm way too old and delicate for such things.

thugler

Agreed, yes fat people most likely are eating too much.  But the reason fat people overeat is because they are fat, and their body therefore has a higher calorific requirement.  Its not the other way round.  The reason they got fat in the first place was through the type of (poor) food choices they made and the metabolic effect that the food had on their body (ie preferentially storing fat instead of burning it) - not so much the volume of food.  Its consumption of empty refined carbs, pasta, sugar, wheat, bread, pop, etc which causes weight gain due to blood glucose > insulin > stored fat. 

These kind of foods cause people to become insulin and leptin resistant which means overweight people never get the sensation of being full which leads to further overeating and the likelihood of diabetes.  The cycle of high blood sugar followed by an inevitable crash in blood sugar also means you're going to be locked into a constant cycle of eating because you are hungry a couple of hours after every meal. 

You can eat pretty much eat all you like of vegetables, bacon, eggs, meat, fish and healthy sources of fat, including lots of saturated, and you are very unlikely to gain weight because these foods don't cause an insulin response.  And you wont overeat them because they result in satiety.

Sure, a calorie deficit will work initially, but its not an effective long term strategy for weight loss or sanity.

No. A calorie deficit will work, however it is achieved. Nothing else will lose weight.

The excercise + eating sensibly thing was what i did, and it's worked very well for 2 years ish. By changing diet, all your attempting to do is make the person feel fuller so they don't over eat as much. Same principle as eating less.

Please don't parrot the stuff taubes says as the gospel. It's a pretty simple equation, but there are various different ways of going about effecting it, of which not eating many carbs is just one.

I eat more bread than most for example and I am not constantly craving food.

Violent Ken

Quote from: thugler on August 24, 2012, 12:35:15 PM
By changing diet, all your attempting to do is make the person feel fuller so they don't over eat as much.

No, you really arent.

thugler

Quote from: Violent Ken on August 24, 2012, 01:32:52 PM
No, you really arent.

So are you reducing calorie intake? or is it magic?