Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:33:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Nina Bawden

Started by garbed_attic, August 23, 2012, 10:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

A couple of days late, but I'd be doing quite a serious disservice to my childhood self if I didn't make this thread, as I loved some of her books dearly. The Peppermint Pig and Carrie's War were probably the first fiction books I read that really evoked a specific past for me - one based around how a place might feel and smell. Straw on the floor. Damp walls. That kinda thing! Squib later really fascinated and scared me and it occupies a tiny dark corner of my mind along with Anne Fine's The Tulip Touch. Anyway, she was one of my favourite authors as a young reader and indeed, I should probably clock her down in the influences thread along with Fine, Dorothy Edwards, Shirley Hughs and other great, female children's fiction writers.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Not on topic, but there was a poster for The Tulip Touch in our primary school library with the tagline "No-one is born evil. NO-ONE." It terrified me.

Ginyard

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on August 23, 2012, 10:45:30 PM
Not on topic, but there was a poster for The Tulip Touch in our primary school library with the tagline "No-one is born evil. NO-ONE."

That was our primary school motto.

a big egg

I used to feel superior to this one girl in my class because she was just like Tulip from The Tulip Touch. It turns out, I learned nothing from that book.

doppelkorn

RIP. We did Carrie's War early on in high school, probably year 7.

I know what you mean about evocative writing though. We had a homework exercise that involved writing a passage that evoked all the sensations around eating a particular foodstuff, after the passage in the book where they eat ham sandwiches. I did mine about chip butties, true story.

Cerys

Rest in Peace.  You were brilliant.  You will always have a special place in my heart - partly because I got my first ever period moments after finishing the wonderfully bleak Devil by the Sea.

Thankyou, Nina.  Thankyou for my first blob.