Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Neil Armstrong

Started by Cerys, August 25, 2012, 08:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

And two more: Werner Von Braun.

massive bereavement

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 25, 2012, 11:07:47 PM
The whole moon landing thing is insane. Just imagine us doing that today, with our vastly vastly  superior technology its still almost compleltly unimaginable. Why is it we've gone so far backwards?

I'm not sure if it's fair to say that we've gone 'so far backwards', sideways maybe. Putting robots on Mars and have them roaming about the place, year in, year out, whilst sending back perfect colour pictures and all kinds of data is, in many ways, far more impressive than going to the moon for a few hours. But it just doesn't have the same human touch to it. They should have made the Mars rovers look and speak to us like that film with Steve Guttenberg in it, then everybody would love them and NASA would be given more funding. We could have been on the other side of God by now.

monkfromhavana

^^ Short Circuit

Johnny 5 was far inferior to Tweeky and his Flavor Flav-style necklace robot, Dr. Theophipilious[nb]I really am just guessing at the spelling[/nb] from Buck rogers In The 25th Century.

I do agree though that NASA need to personalize their automatons a bit, give us all back here on earth someone to root for. Soil samples just don't get me hard[nb]They do really, i love the dirty soil talk[/nb].

shiftwork2

I love the fact that my left bollock [nb]or was it my washing machine?  not sure now.[/nb] contains more computing power than was available to the Apollo program.

Blumf

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 25, 2012, 11:52:45 PM
I do agree though that NASA need to personalize their automatons a bit, give us all back here on earth someone to root for. Soil samples just don't get me hard

Everybody loves N165, he'll get you hard, rock hard:
https://twitter.com/N165Mars

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 26, 2012, 12:05:08 AM
[nb]or was it my washing machine?  not sure now.[/nb]

Both are stuck on the spin setting?

At the time everybody was using the moon, but the triple jump community will always remember Jonathan Edwards as the true champion, despite dabbling in the power of Christ at the time of his own longest jumps and hops. The skips were impregnated by terrible doubt-bouts. In the words of the great sandpit philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard, a triple jumper has to wrestle with himself to become a triple jumper. Having won gold and silver in the individual wrestling, he must learn to hop and skip across the podium. Many of us remember Jonathan's words after his wind assisted 18 metre triumph in Gothenburg. 'I'd like to thank Heinz Beans.' More still remember his fine speech after breaking the world record in Salamanca. Edwards lacked the tremendous ego of the late Neil Armstrong. 'It's three giant leaps for a man - really giant like you don't even know - of no special consequence beyond the focus of my life. Next year I navigate the globe in eighty steps. I could jump over the moon if I wanted to. But I don't. When I see people on the moon I just think, there's a man with a small testicle.'

Replies From View

Fuck you Nel Armstrojy;  you are dead.

NaCl

now if we could figure out a proper way to spread the mans ashes on the moon and fucking keep them there

Crabwalk

According to the Grauniad online, Neil Armstrong will

Quotego down on history

It'll be more a case of history going down on him I suspect, and rightly so.

Jamie Oliver is fat

I BET HE DIED OF MOON AIDS

I read this book on holiday once, and then I read it again and again and again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Moon-Voyages-Apollo-Astronauts/dp/0140241469

biggytitbo

Quote from: massive bereavement on August 25, 2012, 11:46:25 PM
I'm not sure if it's fair to say that we've gone 'so far backwards', sideways maybe. Putting robots on Mars and have them roaming about the place, year in, year out, whilst sending back perfect colour pictures and all kinds of data is, in many ways, far more impressive than going to the moon for a few hours.
Is it bloody bollocks. Sending actual people to the moon and bringing them back is off the scale compared to sending probes and robots. We've not done anything that remotely compares since.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on August 26, 2012, 08:50:54 AM

Why has fucking Tom Hanks got to write a forward for it? Fuck off Tom Hanks you wanker.

Santa's Boyfriend

Gil Scott Heron's take on the whole moon landing business:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5smPcN8AoE

Jamie Oliver is fat

TAKE YOUR POLITICS ELSEWHERE HIPPY

Santa's Boyfriend

Mr Heron is unconcerned by your comeback, sir!

^Gil's Got Heroin.

I wonder if the first person on Mars could have the same cultural impact? Unless America got into a space race with China, the mission wouldn't have the same political impetus.

mobias

Didn't Limmy say that on twitter last night and get a lot of hassle for it?

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 26, 2012, 08:54:07 AM
Why has fucking Tom Hanks got to write a forward for it? Fuck off Tom Hanks you wanker.

"Tom, Tom... Congratulations. You've made the ultimate space movie - totally lacking in atmosphere." RIP Dennis Pennis.

Neville Chamberlain

Ha! My copy is Tom hanks-free, thank fuckity-fuck!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You kids with your hanks-free and digital sandwiches...

Replies From View

When I learned this news last night, I told my Dad and he looked at me with a shocked face before saying, "Gosh, was he still alive?"

Yes he was before he died, yes.  He was still alive.

Petey Pate

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 26, 2012, 08:54:07 AM
Because he did the voice of a toy cowboy whose friend was named after Buzz Aldrin?

R.I.P Neil Armstrong.  My favourite astronaut who went to the moon though, is Alan Bean, who since retiring from NASA devotes his time to painting.  He's the only artist in the world that's been anywhere other than Earth.  Here's a video of him in his studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSwviecHo4

selectivememory

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 26, 2012, 12:15:16 PM
Because he did the voice of a toy cowboy whose friend was named after Buzz Aldrin?

And he was in a film about astronauts or something.

R.I.P. Neil.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 26, 2012, 12:15:16 PM
My favourite astronaut who went to the moon though, is Alan Bean, who since retiring from NASA devotes his time to painting.  He's the only artist in the world that's been anywhere other than Earth.
Him and Elton John, who has been to Mars.

SockPuppet

Quote from: Default to the negative on August 26, 2012, 09:35:24 AM
^Gil's Got Heroin.

I wonder if the first person on Mars could have the same cultural impact? Unless America got into a space race with China, the mission wouldn't have the same political impetus.

If the Chinese got there first we'd claim they'd used drugs to get there so it doesn't count.

biggytitbo

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: mobias on August 26, 2012, 10:18:46 AM
Didn't Limmy say that on twitter last night and get a lot of hassle for it?

Blimey, I fucking detest Limmy, but I'm trying to work out if I'm flattered or depressed at coming up with an identical quip to a professional comedian.

Thursday

He was doing a parody of you.

Jamie Oliver is fat

And I was doing a parody of Jerry Sadowitz

THE CIRCLE IS COMPLETE