Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

R4mak4

Started by bgmnts, March 20, 2023, 12:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

This looks like it's going to be a blast, but the one change I hate is the Merchant's voice. I don't want to sell spinels to this generic cockney wanker, I want to do business with a man who says stuff like "Ahh! I'll buy it at a high price!" in a loveable and enjoyable to impersonate voice. Day one patch necessary.

bgmnts

Yeah that was obviously going to be the case, Capcom are going to want to make everything 'good' and not as entertaining. Probably the case for all remakes in modern gaming. No naff charm anymore.

Goldentony

what predictions do people have re this coming down to a normal price for actual people and how long that'll be

bgmnts

Hard to say as Capcom absolutely rinsed their fanbase with R3make and I assume they felt a fan backlash there, but still it'll do gangbusters so I reckon 4 months.

popcorn

Played the demo, thought it was fine, no problems with the controls etc.

It's a bit uncanny though. It feels like fans got together and made the intro to RE4 in the RE2 remake engine. Whereas the RE2 remake was far enough removed from RE2 to have its own identity. The gap is closing now.

oggyraiding

First hour promising. I never really liked the village siege at the beginning, still don't.

A lot of the areas are familiar yet different. Like the farm just after the siege, there's stuff there that's the same, but also new stuff, and the layout is tweaked. Also:

Spoiler alert
A whole new enemy type turns up at the farm, which shit me up because he was a toughie.
[close]

H-O-W-L

Played the demo and it felt like shit. Unsure if it's worth a punt of fourty nine fucking quid for RE4 with less content, innit.

Jerzy Bondov

played the demo a bit last night, it looks all weird and fucked up on my Steam Deck and I can't be bothered fixing it so I just put up with jpg artefacts swirling round Leon's sexy head. It's just enough like RE4 that I feel confident fighting the enemies, even though they seem a little tougher now. Yeah it's good. But I like the old one.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'll wait for the inevitable Gold edition in about a year with all the dlc and patches.

The Crumb

Went back to play RE4 360 version as a stopgap until this gets cheaper. Got used to the controls again surprisingly quickly, but I was getting completely wrecked in Mercenaries. Fared better in the village barney in the Story mode.

oggyraiding

I never know if it's worth upgrading my starter pistol/first shotgun, as surely it's a waste if I get better guns in the future?

Ferris

I always upgrade the starting pistol on the basis that it's usually half-decent and gets the most ammo through the game vs a fancy-dan thing that merks zombies but you can only use it twice due to shitty ammo provision.

BritishHobo

I like the balls of making Hardcore mode "for people who have played Resident Evil 4" and Standard "for people who have not played Resident Evil 4", deliberately intending I will feel intense shame if I have to drop down a difficulty.

oggyraiding

Spoiler for chapter 4

Spoiler alert
There's no dog in a bear trap at the beginning of the game, but there is one later and he is very helpful against El Gigante, moreso than in the original.
[close]

bgmnts

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 24, 2023, 06:04:27 PMI like the balls of making Hardcore mode "for people who have played Resident Evil 4" and Standard "for people who have not played Resident Evil 4", deliberately intending I will feel intense shame if I have to drop down a difficulty.

They may actually mean who have/have not played the remake perhaps.

BritishHobo

Quote from: bgmnts on March 24, 2023, 06:55:35 PMThey may actually mean who have/have not played the remake perhaps.

I wish, but they even put '2005' in brackets to hammer it home. Too late now as I don't think you can change the difficulty once you've started on Hardcore, so I am COMITTED

oggyraiding

I beat the original pretty comfortably on normal mode, but I'm finding standard mode of the remake pretty challenging. The bit where you and Luis defend a house was so stressful.

brat-sampson

I'm a scaredy cat so am playing on normal. Only about an hour in bit it's already doing a great job of seeming familiar but different and obviously looking leagues ahead. Only potential gripe is that
Spoiler alert
originally I'm sure I remember the, uh, nature, of the las plagas being kept a secret for longer. Here I'm seeing tendrils from like the first guys in the game.
[close]

popcorn

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 24, 2023, 08:49:54 PMI'm a scaredy cat so am playing on normal. Only about an hour in bit it's already doing a great job of seeming familiar but different and obviously looking leagues ahead. Only potential gripe is that
Spoiler alert
originally I'm sure I remember the, uh, nature, of the las plagas being kept a secret for longer. Here I'm seeing tendrils from like the first guys in the game.
[close]

I noticed that in the demo, too. There are obviously fucked up parasite/zombie-like villagers from the getgo, which seems a bit of a shame.

BritishHobo

I'm enjoying so far the way it deliberately subverts expectations -
Spoiler alert
beartrap dog already dead, ower in the village no longer a safe place as the floor gives way, etc.
[close]

It does do a good job of following the familiar structure, but with the environments changed enough to feel creepy anew.

Mister Six

Lovely daft little spoof clip - Leon gets his orders from Joe Biden: https://twitter.com/AamonHawk/status/1639012182670344192?s=20

oggyraiding

I'm in the castle, and I know the next thing I need to do is kill Garrador, but the dungeon is so dark and spooky and he's a horrible bastard so I'm trying to build the courage to deal with him.

Mister Six

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 24, 2023, 08:49:54 PMI'm a scaredy cat so am playing on normal. Only about an hour in bit it's already doing a great job of seeming familiar but different and obviously looking leagues ahead. Only potential gripe is that
Spoiler alert
[close]

Yeah in the original they didn't burst out of the necks until nightfall.

oggyraiding

Could it be that because the original game has revealed that twist however many years ago, they didn't find it necessary to hide the parasite shit in the opening few hours and could just go hardcore tendrils poking out of necks?

Red 9 with a few upgrades is insane. Can take down a villager in 3 body shots, and as it's a handgun, ammo is plentiful.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 24, 2023, 10:02:59 PMI'm in the castle, and I know the next thing I need to do is kill Garrador, but the dungeon is so dark and spooky and he's a horrible bastard so I'm trying to build the courage to deal with him.
Legend Garrador.

madhair60

I'm really enjoying this. There are a few things I dislike, but they're mostly just because of the changing nature of AAA gaming. Like for example, I'm playing Hardcore because the game basically told me to, and even in this mode the game is really keen to tell me where literally every hidden thing is. I actually got an "expanded map" which I really didn't want, it was a pre-order bonus or something? But then, like, sure, don't look at the map. But I am terrible at pathfinding and 3D spaces so I need to look at it to orient myself! It's just super weird that the challenge, for example, of shooting five blue medallions, is completely trivialised by showing their location on the map. What's the point?

oggyraiding

The expanded map shows loot that isn't included in the vanilla game, bonus loot for deluxe edition or preorders or some shit.

Goldentony

BEEN PRE ORDERING HAVE YOU

The Crumb

Blue medallions are on the map on the original too. Coming in from RE1 it's pretty noticeable how much OG RE4 holds your hand, telling you where to use key items and prompting you to use them when you interact with the relevant spot in the world.

Mister Six

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 24, 2023, 10:17:54 PMCould it be that because the original game has revealed that twist however many years ago, they didn't find it necessary to hide the parasite shit in the opening few hours and could just go hardcore tendrils poking out of necks?

Probably, but there's something to be said for not assuming every single person playing the game also played the one that came out 20 years ago. Some of the stuff, like the wolf and the clock tower is neat, but that surprise is a nice little turn in the narrative and it's a shame to lose it.