Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Will you have a 3rd ‘booster’ jab?

Started by vanilla.coffee, September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Love a slight fever, particularly if you know it's in a good cause.

Loved the bruising and feeling out of it after giving blood in a similar fashion.

Wish the state provided more opportunities for the combination of being slightly hurt and told I'm a good boy.

jamiefairlie

It's not the same without your mum buying you Lucozade and some comics (albeit the wrong ones but bless her all the same). Oh and a junior Disprin.

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 15, 2021, 02:42:10 PM
I've not heard about long-lasting nasty side effects of the vaccine - do you mind going into more detail?

Within a week of the 1st jab (Mid March) ringing in my ears sometimes unable to sleep it's so loud. Pins and needles in my temples and cheek bones. Dull aches in chest and jittery feelings followed by full blown panic attacks probably from the fear that something sinister was happening.
Shaking limbs at night. Shaky hands after yawning for some fucking bizarre reason. Every time and for 5 mins after yawning. Like I've got Parkinsons or some such.

Sometimes daily, sometimes every other day. Doctors didn't seem to care and fobbed me off with Citilopram.

Symptoms began to ease off and by mid May it had all but stopped.

Had 2nd jab of AZ and within a week the above all started up again and is on going.
Shaky limbs is worse now. Especially going downstairs like my legs have no strength.

Some days will be incident free and I think I'm getting better and then a panic attack will wake me from my sleep at night.
My Apple Watch records a bph of 140 when this happens, resting heart rate is normally 65-70.

No previous health issues prior to jabs. None whatsoever in 52 years.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on September 16, 2021, 08:22:03 PM
Yeah but dont you feel amazing after you've been that ill? Almost life affirming.

I loved the mild fever and 8pm bedime from my 2nd jab. Slept like a log for nearly 12 hours.

I'd do it again tonight if I could.

non capisco

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 16, 2021, 08:15:11 PM
Not sure if you're joking or not, but I got similarly wrecked after the first AZ, and even though the fever was complete and utter shit, I did find a strange kind of pleasure in boiling to death under the blanket, then removing the blanket and feeling as though I had instantly jumped into an ice bath, and repeat.

Answer to the thread title: Yes, please!

Chalk me up as another who look backs on feeling completely done in by my first jab of AZ with an absurd degree of fondness. Can't put my finger on why but I'd describe the bone deep fatigue and lolling about in bed moaning and sizzling like meat on a grill as almost delicious. When you're genuinely ill with similar symptoms it feels invasive, an arrogant imposition by some cunt microbe that thinks it's hard. When it's as a result of a decision you've made for your own benefit I can honestly say I found feeling like dogshit for a bit quite enjoyable. These young hipsters with their namby pamby symptomless Moderna jabs don't know what they're missing. You want the Astra Zeneca, boy. Puts 'airs on yer chest, that.

chveik

fuck i had zero side effects (pfizer). might have been a placebo for all i know

flotemysost

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2021, 09:18:28 PM
I loved the mild fever and 8pm bedime from my 2nd jab. Slept like a log for nearly 12 hours.

I'd do it again tonight if I could.

Yeah there was something sort of cosy and reassuring about the soporific post Pfizer haze, in the same way that a mild hangover can be quite pleasant as it gives you a window where you can acceptably mooch about eating crap and re-watching comforting bilge before an early night, safe in the knowledge you'll be restored to your former glory soon.

Less keen on the wildly unpredictable torrent of gore it's unleashed from me (and loads of others it seems, as Noodle Lizard mentions), but I'm going to the doctor about that soon - in any case covid itself seems to have had a similar effect on lots of people who have some sort of cycle, so it seems more of an immune response thing than a vaccine thing.

Would gladly get boosted whenevs if it's offered at some point down the line, though it does feel slightly fucked up that we even have this as an option when there are countries yet to receive widespread initial vaccine doses at all.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I would very much like a woman to talk to me and touch my arm again, so yes.

QDRPHNC

shiftwork2

Well this is on again and imminent.  As a low risk NHSer (now with virtually no patient contact) it's befuddling to be offered a luxury top-up when most of the world hasn't had a first dose.  I don't need it.  But I also don't want to give the slightest anti-vax vibe.  Odd moment out of the blue.

vanilla.coffee

Oddly, since my OP I've not had an 'incident'
Been down in Cornwall for a wedding and a mini break with my wife (first time we've been away from home in over 18 months) and I was dreading it due to what I've affectionately named my 'murmurs' but weirdly I've been murmur free since Thursday.
We head back home today so we'll see what happens.

Main reason for posting this morning is I just wanted to emphasise that I'm not anti vax on this.
Had all sorts of jabs for travel purposes in the past and of course all the jabs when I was younger.
I was just curious if anyone else was having second thoughts on a 3rd and also if anyone else in the cab world had had similar long term side effects.

Drygate

Anyone heard anything about the immune system being "suppressed" after a shot for up to two weeks before it kicks in?

This article has some guff on deaths in Israel after the booster. Has some other bs in there too but the charts look interesting.

https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/are-covid-boosters-accentuating-covid

Cuellar

Chedney Honks

Just wondering if there's much talk going round about phrenology? 😂😂😂

chveik

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 21, 2021, 09:19:05 PM
Just wondering if there's much talk going round about phrenology? 😂😂😂

lol

idunnosomename

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on September 21, 2021, 07:18:17 AM
Oddly, since my OP I've not had an 'incident'
Been down in Cornwall for a wedding and a mini break with my wife (first time we've been away from home in over 18 months) and I was dreading it due to what I've affectionately named my 'murmurs' but weirdly I've been murmur free since Thursday.
We head back home today so we'll see what happens.

Main reason for posting this morning is I just wanted to emphasise that I'm not anti vax on this.
Had all sorts of jabs for travel purposes in the past and of course all the jabs when I was younger.
I was just curious if anyone else was having second thoughts on a 3rd and also if anyone else in the cab world had had similar long term side effects.

surely it's better than getting COVID? still big sympathies though. and how shitty GPs can be.

if I were you no, I would not have the third jab

flotemysost

Bit of a ramble, and I don't expect a huge number of CaBbers are directly affected by this issue, but seeing as we're talking about vaccine hesitancy re: side effects...

As I've mentioned on this SF a couple of times, I've had pretty unpleasant menstrual side effects since getting my first Pfizer jab (unpredictable and very heavy bleeding lasting 2-3 weeks at a time, pain so bad I've had to log off work even if I'm working from home and curl up on my bed in chrysalis state for a while) - I've started taking the combined Pill which hopefully seems to be sorting it out (though I realise that's not for everyone), but a couple of months ago I mentioned this uterine usurping to a friend of mine.

I met up with this friend recently, and it turns out she still hasn't had either dose of the vaccine (she's 33 so def will have been offered it). Although she cited the logic that she had covid quite recently (asymptomatically) and so probably still has some sort of immunity, she also mentioned that she wants to have kids one day sooner rather than later, and is really worried about it affecting her fertility after hearing about my (and others') experience. She's not an antivaxxer or a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, she's had every other routinely offered vaccine and travel jabs and all that, but the widely reported effects of the mRNA vaccine are scaring her and she's now saying she's going to hold off until there's more information (which obviously might take years).

I don't want to have an argument over it, but I've tried to stress that a) there's no evidence to suggest it actually does affect fertility at all, and b) it's worth remembering that we also most definitely don't know much about how long covid affects fertility either (and lots of people have experienced similar symptoms after having covid itself). I've also tried to counter her worry that we're being "pressured into having it right now" by saying that it's not like the virus is gonna hang about while people make up their minds, unfortunately, and basically the fewer people get vaxxed, the more it'll spread and the more will get sick and die, even if she herself was OK.

However I'm also very aware that there is generally a huge problem with medical issues affecting women's/AFAB bodies not being taken seriously, and also as someone who has zero desire to procreate, I don't want to come across as dismissing or belittling the concerns of someone who does want children.

Not sure what I'm asking really, but this seems to be a particularly emotive quandary. Am I being an insensitive dick for trying to persuade her to get it? I don't regret getting jabbed and I'd gladly have a booster if offered, but I have to say it's been BLOODY annoying ahhhh (no really)

chveik

no idea. i just get mad and frustrated very quickly when someone says they won't take the vaccine. there are just too many preconceptions to unpack and i don't have the patience, i already struggle to engage in small talk

Cloud

Too young but paying for the flu jab.  I'll take what I can.

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 21, 2021, 11:02:54 PM
surely it's better than getting COVID?

That's a good question. A couple of work colleagues back in 2020 have had the COVIDs - pre vax era.
A week or two of feeling shit then both made full recoveries with, to date - no lasting side effects just like many many millions of other people.
I however have not had COVID and yet here I am 4 months later with (what may potentially be) long term Astra Zeneca side effects.
Given the choice with hindsight - yeah, it's a good question isn't it?

Right now with hindsight I wish I'd been given the choice of vax and chosen the Pfizer or Modern Romance instead and had the best years of my life.

P.S.
I'm not taking this COVID shit lightly by the way. Despite being double vaxxed I'm still wearing a mask in shops and public places, sanitising my hands before and after - being respectful of peoples personal space where possible and keeping the distance even though 90% of most cunts I encounter are not respecting any of the guidelines previously recommended to us all anymore.

Alberon

But then my work colleague had Covid back at the start of the year (making me self-isolate for ten days) and he's still not recovered from it fully. He still has virtually no taste sense and finds himself breathless far more easily than before.

It's all trying to weigh up unknowns. How badly the vaccine will affect you versus how badly Covid will. Each option ranges from 'not at all' to 'dead'.

Cloud

Ultimately it's up to you and things like your personal health but I know someone from our local who didn't want the vaccine at all, not even one (we knew as he was one of those who makes sure everyone knows).  Unfortunately it caught him eventually and he's now been on a ventilator for about 3 or 4 weeks.  Perhaps not too bad for him at times as he was put into an induced coma, but if he recovers it's going to be a long road and obviously it's not fun for his family.

He was obese and with diabetes, so that didn't help his case (though perfectly healthy people succumb to it too, but it's less likely).

And to be fair, side effects are extremely rare (much less likely than catching the virus and having problems from that) but they do happen and sometimes fate would have it that someone gets side effects from the jab and never knowingly even gets exposed to Covid so naturally they will feel a bit cheated and less trusting of the statistics.

Plus anxiety is a thing.  Friend of mine stuck to just the one jab and even then had to be talked into that one - he's not exactly antivax per se, but very much a "question everything" type and the sort of person who gets extremely anxious about anything that might affect his body in some way. It's hard to explain but to some any sort of bodily 'invasion' even a needle with a bit of vaccine is a genuine phobia that someone like this can fret about for weeks.  Even something like microphone feedback or coil whine etc, where for most people it's "ooh ouch that's uncomfortable", for him it triggers a sort of fight-or-flight response like it'll literally cause him to go deaf.  It causes him to be visibly and vocally panicked, hands on ears, and ready to bolt from the room.

Anyway when he did eventually get it, well ever since he's had tingling throughout the arm that was jabbed.  Part of me suspects it's psychosomatic, and the doctor has no explanation other than "your arm's fine mate", but looking into it it's extremely rare but possible that a nerve was struck and damaged.  It's just sod's law that it'd affect someone who was already terrified.

I certainly question whether massive amounts of shaming for those who don't want the vaccine is helpful as it tends to get their backs up and make them dig their heels in.  All we can do is outline the many advantages and the few tiny risks and try to be persuasive and encourage bravery in those who are nervous about it.  I'm less sympathetic for antivax guy from the pub but as tempting as it might be to wish him ill, at the end of the day he has a family and was probably brainwashed against it like many are.  I hope he pulls through, and maybe has a little rethink on listening to the experts when the time comes.

As for not getting the booster, not something I'd demonise someone for especially if they were unlucky enough to have severe / long term side effects.  Even just the single jab should still be enough to keep most people out of hospital as it's done the job of teaching the immune system's memory cells what to look out for.  It'll help keep the antibodies (the rapid response) topped up to give a better chance of neutralising the virus before it can even take hold though, thus reducing the risk of spread, but the people it's aimed at aren't typically party animals anyway.   It'll be interesting to see if it gets extended to younger folk later to help control the spread, which is when it might get a bit more... political.

Edit: 30 seconds on the CovidVaccinated sub and already found mention of tingling after Pfizer.  Perhaps it's not so rare.  I hope they find a proper explanation for it.  You could put it down to being nervous (psychosomatic), reading some of this makes me feel a bit nervous and sure enough that comes with a tingling in the fingers that I *know* I brought on by thinking about it.  But it doesn't explain the other stories of menstrual problems there.  Christ, I'm far from antivax but I seriously hope they're not just sweeping this stuff under the carpet because "eh, it's women" or "they're probably just a bit mad".  If there are long term side effects they need to be reported and recorded and we need to know why.  Even if it is just a psychosomatic response, at least we'd know.  But it *is* often silenced, stuff like this tends to be deleted on /r/CoronavirusUK as conspiracy theories / fear mongering so it never gets any open discussion, just shoved off into echo chambers for people to think "holy shit *everyone* is getting these problems".

IDK. It's on my mind now.  We're a largely patriarchal society, and have a terrible habit of dismissing the problems that women face.  I don't want to cause unnecessary vaccine hesitancy by nodding along with the hesitants and remain skeptical of the "tingling / pins and needles" thing, but just how big is the "Pfizer fucked up my menstrual cycle" iceberg?  Dare I look on Mumsnet?  Do we know why it's happening?  I'm worried it'd just get brushed under the carpet and come back to bite us all later.

Pinball

Drygate

Quote from: flotemysost on September 22, 2021, 12:47:52 AM
Am I being an insensitive dick for trying to persuade her to get it? I don't regret getting jabbed and I'd gladly have a booster if offered, but I have to say it's been BLOODY annoying ahhhh (no really)

If they've already had covid as you say, then persuading her to get it isn't "following the science".

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

Also, if as you say we're not sure how covid might affect fertility, how can be sure that the vaccines won't? The vaccines have been around for less time than covid. Have they done any studies to test if covid or the jabs affects fertility?

You can easily find people online who claim to have a wide range of side effects from the vaccines and covid that aren't officially recognized.

Even in the real world, I know people that have had health problems they've not had before after getting the jabs (who knows if they are connected).

Whether the jabs are having side effects or not, if you are concerned about something, such as having a baby, you can easily find people who insist the jabs have caused problems for them in this area. Therefore, I find it easy to be understanding of people who use that as their reason not to get jabbed (knowing someone who had a bad reaction related to their area of concern), especially if they already have immunity.

I think it's easy to say there's no official warning for a particular side effect, so just have the jab already. But for people that are worried about a certain condition, who then find people that swear they've been affected in that way, those people are probably coming at it from another perspective and for them it's not as simple as looking at the official side effect list from the vaccine manufactures and dismissing the anecdotes. Especially if you are in a very low risk group with almost zero chance of getting seriously ill from covid.

I'm not saying hesitant people are always right, but I don't think it's a simple as saying shut up and take the jab under all circumstances. Especially when they don't last forever, they don't completely stop you from getting covid or spreading it. They haven't been tested long term and as far I know, the trials are over and they aren't collecting data on side effects, apart from the controversial self reporting systems.

Fambo Number Mive

That study you link to says the following at the top

QuoteThis article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Far better to get the jab than risk everything on how well your body can fight covid without the vaccines the next time you get covid.